Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 23, 19, 8:25 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 dayís notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 1, 19, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by MikeFly View Post
Ignore - I just saw the posting on the BA website the agent must have been in error.<br /><br />Just got off the phone with BA reservations. The strike issue came up in conversation and the agent informed me that the pilots have just accepted an offer so no strike. I have not been able to find confirmation elsewhere yet.
Edit 2: the posting on the BA site is the same as yesterday, just with a new date. It still says "this afternoon, our legal challenge," so I wouldn't consider it an update.

Edit: spoke to soon.

BALPA's Twitter account says no update as of 9 minutes ago, but without the long cut-paste response attached. Possibly cementing a deal as we speak?

Last edited by budgetmiles; Aug 1, 19 at 8:45 am
Old Aug 1, 19, 10:10 am

Any more news or is it just wishful thinking?
Old Aug 1, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Not to mention difficulties (or impossibility, essentially) with getting a direct entry command with an equivalent carrier...
So that's a valid point if you can't leave BA and join another airline at the same level, and would have to start at the bottom I can see that limits the ability to jump around.
Old Aug 1, 19, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
@ Ancient Observer - I havenít seen the article you reference but it comes as little surprise that BA (and indeed any business facing a similar scenario) would try to play fast & loose with the facts.

But the media has a responsibility of its own, and in the interests of accurate reporting and balance, these are the sort of Ďfactsí which can very easily be questioned (and corrected / expanded) by any self-respecting journalist - and with only a bare minimum of research. But then of course some sections of the press - for all sorts of reasons - will very often have a particular agenda to peddle, of one sort or another. Plus, we know just how incredibly lazy many journos can be when they just want to fill column inches.

In short, the age-old adage of donít believe all you read in the papers remains as valid as it ever was. But as noted by wingtip428 ...... itís advice that falls on many deaf ears.
This is par for the course in any dispute with 2 disparate viewpoints.... BALPA will site the lowest paid pilots and it all being BAs fault, to counter that and support their stance, BA will reference the highest paid pilots and say BALPA is being greedy.

The reality is most likely some where in the middle and most, at least semi-intelligent people, should realise that.
wrp96, nancypants and wingtip428 like this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
most, at least semi-intelligent people, should realise that.
Airline Twitter feeds are full of people complaining when they realize - after booking - that they have to pay for seats and checked bags. Most people I've casually talked to about flying are just as clueless (and even if they realized before booking, would still find it greedy on the airline's part).

I think they're just as likely to read an article and come away thinking that the regurgitated pro- or anti-airline spin is the objective truth. Even if it doesn't personally affect them, if they trust the source, well... we're in the post-truth world, where my source is always right and yours is always wrong.
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flygirl68 View Post
Would you sign a new pay deal which had hidden strings attached
If they were hidden you wouldn't know they existed, so it wouldn't have any impact on whether you signed or not.

But in reality, don't union members have to deal with this type of scenario when they vote in a strike ballot. The are asked to approve industrial action without any idea of what the nature and extent of that action will be?
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Folks,

thereís a good % of the public opinion that believes Earth is flat,
No there isn't
Old Aug 1, 19, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post
If they were hidden you wouldn't know they existed, so it wouldn't have any impact on whether you signed or not.
They exist, that is the issue. Two of you have quoted me but neither of you have answered. Oh well.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 1:17 pm

Hi,

I am booked too fly with BA from Gatwick to Amsterdam on 3rd September and back to Heathrow on 6th September - is the strike likely to be called in August and over by September? I am really looking forward to that holiday so would be distraught to miss out.

Thanks,
Kier
Old Aug 1, 19, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Kier1986 View Post
I am booked too fly with BA from Gatwick to Amsterdam on 3rd September and back to Heathrow on 6th September - is the strike likely to be called in August and over by September? I am really looking forward to that holiday so would be distraught to miss out.
It's impossible to say, I think and hope you would be OK, but that's just my opinion, nothing else. Having said that, there will be alternative ways to get to AMS for those dates so I wouldn't be unduly concerned.
Old Aug 1, 19, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl68 View Post

They exist, that is the issue. Two of you have quoted me but neither of you have answered. Oh well.
I think what they are saying is if there were hidden conditions how would you know about them? If you know there are some unfavourable terms then they are no longer/not hidden....

However to your point I wouldn't sign anything that wasn't clear or contained conditions I wasn't prepared to accept.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kier1986 View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
Kier
Worst case Eurostar is pleasant enough to AMS.
Old Aug 1, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
It's dailymail time! No wonder BA doesn't provide it on their flights!

​​​​​​
  • Captains are paid an average of £176,000 but want an increased share of profits
  • One pilot said staff were unhappy at having to stay in four- not five-star hotels
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...​​
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
I think what they are saying is if there were hidden conditions how would you know about them? If you know there are some unfavourable terms then they are no longer/not hidden....

However to your point I wouldn't sign anything that wasn't clear or contained conditions I wasn't prepared to accept.
Thank you. There are conditions, undisclosed as yet conditions.
Old Aug 1, 19, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Pilots are now getting to see what lengths BA will go to discredit them, I hope for one thing and that is that it brings us closer together.

Search this Thread