Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
if i understand they have to give ba notice of 7 days that they are having the ballot, and in that notice they have to give the information which was missing
Who they are asking (Categories, and places of work)
What they are asking
etc.

before the ballot can take place.
I am from the US and don't know about UK laws and striking. Are you saying the pilots would have 7 days notice of voting again? and if they voted to strike wit would be another 14 days until the strike? I am schedule to fly Orlando to London August 14 , I am just trying to understand the time frame to know if I'll be able to fly out on August 14. I have a return flight booked mid Sept but I'll worry about that once I make it to London.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:39 am

If BA win then it is highly likely there would be another ballot. There would need to be a 7 day notice period to BA that this would be taking place, followed by a 21 day ballot period at the end if which the ballot result would be announced. If there was a mandate for IA then the union has to give BA 14 day notice of any planned IA.

If BA fail, then there is just the 14 day notice period as the ballot result stands.

All the above is my understanding and should anyone know the law in more detail, please ammend the above.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Custardthecat
If BALPA did not provide categories information then I would suppose this prevented the employer from making reasonable plans as it would, in theory not know which work areas and which grades of employees are affected etc. Having this data assists with plans. Whilst the turnout was high and the majority exceptional, it could be argued that the legal requirement was not met and it is reasonably expected that the employers should benefit from such information.
The categories information is what's being argued, especially how BALPA was supposed to know what was required to assist with planning.

Like I said, I think that the rank information is more important, since without captains you are in a bit of a hole.
Custardthecat and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:42 am

You are in just as big a hole if you have no FOs
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
If BA win then it is highly likely there would be another ballot. There would need to be a 7 day notice period to BA that this would be taking place, followed by a 21 day ballot period at the end if which the ballot result would be announced. If there was a mandate for IA then the union has to give BA 14 day notice of any planned IA.

If BA fail, then there is just the 14 day notice period as the ballot result stands.

All the above is my understanding and should anyone know the law in more detail, please ammend the above.
That's exactly the position.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:46 am

If the majority vote for a strike, doesn't that allow everyone (including those that voted against it) to strike?
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

Sorry not being familiar with the UK judicial system, if BA were to lose this appeal is there another level that BA could further there appeal? Also how fast does the Court of Appeals typically take to release a decision? I have to flight to the UK on August 14 from the states.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:53 am

Thanks for everyone's replies. .Watching the Utube video of the proceedings, it seems to be quite a slow process. I thought I read there was a 2 hour limits for the arguments, but I guess I am wrong about that.. If this keeps on at this pace. there's a chance I may make my flight on the 14th . LOL. Sorry I spent a sleepless night worrying about the outcome of the appeal.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by DCflyerAA-YX

Sorry not being familiar with the UK judicial system, if BA were to lose this appeal is there another level that BA could further there appeal? Also how fast does the Court of Appeals typically take to release a decision? I have to flight to the UK on August 14 from the states.
The court website said "FINAL DECISION," which I take to mean "no more appeals."
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Wendyp247
Thanks for everyone's replies. .Watching the Utube video of the proceedings, it seems to be quite a slow process. I thought I read there was a 2 hour limits for the arguments, but I guess I am wrong about that.. If this keeps on at this pace. there's a chance I may make my flight on the 14th . LOL. Sorry I spent a sleepless night worrying about the outcome of the appeal.
The hearing is listed for one day, the lawyers for BA indicated they would need about 2 hours, the BALPA one a little less. It will end today.

I wouldn't worry about your travel plans until a strike is actually called and dates announced. This dispute might be resolved before any strike occurs. I have 17 flights during August and a similar number during September. I am not making any contingencies at this time, I shall not be looking at that until such time a strike is date is actually announced.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by budgetmiles
The court website said "FINAL DECISION," which I take to mean "no more appeals."
That means today's hearing will go on until it is decided. If either party believes the court has erred in law when reaching its decision a further appeal to the Supreme Court is possible. I do not think that likely though.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:15 am

Thanks, I know nothing can be done until a strike is actually announced. I have back to back cruises (2)scheduled. If I can't get reschedule, I don't think the ship will wait for me.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:45 am

Having watched something of the streamed legal submissions over a couple of hours, I detect some scepticism from the Appeal Court Judges concerning the lengths to which the union would be expected to go, or anticipate it had to go, in providing information that would be most helpful and useful to the employer in planning to mitigate the impact of industrial action (in the absence of any specific request from the employer). Of course, I could be wrong but I predict the appeal will not succeed and BALPA will be awarded wasted costs.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Custardthecat
Having watched something of the streamed legal submissions over a couple of hours, I detect some scepticism from the Appeal Court Judges concerning the lengths to which the union would be expected to go, or anticipate it had to go, in providing information that would be most helpful and useful to the employer in planning to mitigate the impact of industrial action (in the absence of any specific request from the employer). Of course, I could be wrong but I predict the appeal will not succeed and BALPA will be awarded wasted costs.
Why a wasted costs order?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:54 am

Decision will be promulgated tomorrow at 10:30 (31 July).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.