Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by 31570324
Of course nobody know anything in this moment, but if BA has to cancel flights this friday, they will likely start with short hault flights before they cancel long haults? I've booked a flight from Germany to Inverness, with a connection in Heathrow and I guess at least the domestic flight from LHR to INV could be one of the first flights they cancel, correct?I wouldn't be sad if they cancel our flights, but want to know that soon to make other arrangements and not just before our flight should depart on friday.
That's all academic if there's no fire cover
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
That's all academic if there's no fire cover
There is no fire service strike this Friday though. They have given notice that they would join the strike action already announced for August 5-6 and August 23-24.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Ahh yes, just found it on Business Traveller

Over 90 fire and rescue workers at Heathrow airport are set to join growing strike action at the airport next month, in a dispute over pay.

The Unite Union confirmed that the group of workers voted in favour of industrial action by 97.6 per cent on a turnout of 90.2 per cent.

As a result the workers are set to join two periods of strike action already announced by the union for August 5-6 and August 23-24, with over 4,000 security guards, engineers, passenger service operatives and passenger service drivers taking part.

A first period of strike action is set to take place this week (Friday July 26 – Saturday July 27) without the fire and rescue workers.

Full article here:
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...strike-action/
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by 31570324
Of course nobody know anything in this moment, but if BA has to cancel flights this friday, they will likely start with short hault flights before they cancel long haults? I've booked a flight from Germany to Inverness, with a connection in Heathrow and I guess at least the domestic flight from LHR to INV could be one of the first flights they cancel, correct?I wouldn't be sad if they cancel our flights, but want to know that soon to make other arrangements and not just before our flight should depart on friday.
It's likely higher frequency domestic and short haul routes would be targeted if there are to be cancellations for Friday. What routes and flights and how many we won't know until BA announce something.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:26 am

I think there's supposed to be more talks at ACAS this afternoon. Still time to call it off.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I think there's supposed to be more talks at ACAS this afternoon. Still time to call it off.
Yesterday's statement from BALPA said that the appeal might delay these ("This delay will now continue with BA seeking to appeal against the Hight Court’s decision. As a result it’s now likely the talks scheduled with ACAS on Friday will have to be postponed.")

Hopefully they're still going ahead...
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to cross-mention that the HAL strikes planned for Friday 26 and Saturday 27 July have been cancelled pending consideration of a revised offer. This is completely unrelated to the dispute between BA and its staff.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just to cross-mention that the HAL strikes planned for Friday 26 and Saturday 27 July have been cancelled pending consideration of a revised offer. This is completely unrelated to the dispute between BA and its staff.
Brilliant - thanks CWS
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by JustTheOne
Yesterday's statement from BALPA said that the appeal might delay these ("This delay will now continue with BA seeking to appeal against the Hight Court’s decision. As a result it’s now likely the talks scheduled with ACAS on Friday will have to be postponed.")

Hopefully they're still going ahead...
I was talking about HAL not BA. I just wish that BA would get their heads out of their backsides and get back around the table with a sensible offer rather than using the language that they've been using on their website
JustTheOne, nancypants and hungry like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Strike for late july called off
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by diamantaire
Strike for late july called off
Just to clarify, this is the strikes by HAL staff. The August dates for strikes by HAL staff remain atm. This is the thread for the HAL strikes https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...to-august.html

No strike dates announced for BA staff yet.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Here in the article it mentions called off for late july , but still set for august & talks still ongoing

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49099170

Originally Posted by KARFA
Just to clarify, this is the strikes by HAL staff. The August dates for strikes by HAL staff remain atm. This is the thread for the HAL strikes https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...to-august.html

No strike dates announced for BA staff yet.
sorry

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 29, 2019 at 4:05 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by luitje
No, we don't On the other hand, with at least 4 BA flights every week in August and September I will have my share of fun anyway. My best hope is to get stuck in London and not one of the less glamorous outposts with expensive booze and nothing to do.
If I'm going to get stuck, it looks like it would be extra time in Norway, which will work out just fine - the last full day of our visit we're really trying to cover more Km than is really good for us, and an extra day or two will mean a much more leisurely pace instead.

And with BA and/or the travel insurance picking up the tab...well, it all sounds good. Except that work will be put out about me being gone longer than I'd booked out for.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
For my clarification ...if BA and Unions reach some sort of agreement or are negotiating in good faith and strike action for August (both dates) is a non-issue.....does it follow that HAL would not strike?

I have BA Avios tickets departing ORD August 24 to LHR with connection to ATH on 25th. I spoke to Executive Club and if I canceled this ticket I was told I would get all of my Avios back and cash minus $55 fee to cancel on line.

I'm trying to decide whether to do that and instead use my AA miles to book an AA flight?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nalismom
For my clarification ...if BA and Unions reach some sort of agreement or are negotiating in good faith and strike action for August (both dates) is a non-issue.....does it follow that HAL would not strike?
The two strikes are completely unrelated, different companies, different pay and conditions, different recent history. My hunch is that the HAL strike won't happen, if there is another ballot in the offing. On the other hand Unite seems unable to positively recommend the new offer, they have taken some sort of vow of silence, which seems odd to me. The BA strike? Anyone's guess.

A lot depends on how critical it is for you to arrive in Athens on the day in question. If there is a cruise involved, for example, I can see some point in switching to AA. But otherwise BA would probably offer you the AA service for free if a strike was called on your travel day. Stressing the word probably, I don't actually know, but it's the sort of thing that has happened before.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.