FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1973603-lhr-lgw-pilots-balpa-industrial-action-9-sep-10-sep-27-sep.html)

MFCC Jun 12, 2019 9:27 am

Originally Posted by anc305 (Post 31195198)
I am not trying to belittle the FAs job

Actually kinda sounds like you are tbh

Globaliser Jun 12, 2019 9:38 am

... I am not trying to belittle the FAs job ...

That is precisely what you are doing.

You sound like you have never worked as long-haul cabin crew, nor ever been close to anyone who has.

London21 Jun 12, 2019 9:42 am

2 nights in Vegas rest. Ridiculous.

We all know why they want to keep this but it is obviously not required.

If anything the change to 1 night may mean people only working the return with a 1 night hangover as apart from the 2 night out hangover that usually happens on this route

FlyerTalker39574 Jun 12, 2019 9:52 am

2 nights stop is sensible, 1 is not enough rest, the crew really need to resist this stupidity.

sigma421 Jun 12, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by London21 (Post 31195320)

If anything the change to 1 night may mean people only working the return with a 1 night hangover as apart from the 2 night out hangover that usually happens on this route

They are subject to an agreement that says they should get two nights of rest on a flight that long. I'm sure you and I both get lots of nice things through ourjob that are by no means absolutely essential to our ability to perform it but would kick up something of a fuss if they were taken away.

RGS5526 Jun 12, 2019 12:02 pm

It has always surprised me that BA manage to maintain separate T&C for different cabin crew fleets. I thought that recent Industrial Tribunal cases, for example Birmingham dustmen and other council employers doing work of similar value in similar grades, would apply, requiring the same conditions to be applied to all cabin crew.

gengar Jun 12, 2019 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft (Post 31195358)
2 nights stop is sensible, 1 is not enough rest, the crew really need to resist this stupidity.

Noting that IMO BA should respect whatever policy they have in place regarding the LGW crews, 1 night rest is pretty standard across airlines even for TPACs. Certainly, whether that is "enough" is up for debate.

Originally Posted by RGS5526 (Post 31195856)
It has always surprised me that BA manage to maintain separate T&C for different cabin crew fleets.

This was the source of my confusion and thus my question earlier in this thread. And not even talking WW vs MF, but LHR vs LGW.

yabadoo Jun 12, 2019 6:08 pm

I'd support them for more pay and compensation packages, but in return I want improvement in service and attitude from staff. Problem with this unionized structure is if staff do well then there is no upside for them, and if they don't do well (i.e. complaints about performance from customers etc.) then there are few consequences, if any. This is game of give and take, pay for appropriate service and rewards for going beyond expectations, as well as consequences for poor performance. Accountability for both crew and management is the only way which is fair. Having said that, this is bad news for BA as disruptions are costly and puts pressured on financial results, and as it is BA is encumbered with fares from LHR/LGW being saddled with high APD's which means they cannot just pass off some of the pay increases to customers, it will have to come from savings from other expenses, which means cuts to services etc.

FlyerTalker39574 Jun 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by yabadoo (Post 31197002)
.... they cannot just pass off some of the pay increases to customers....

They’ve densified the aircraft, revenues are up, plenty of scope for pay increases.

sxc Jun 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Given how much mixed fleet get paid, I doubt their hangovers are really going to be that big.

rossmacd Jun 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 31197316)
Given how much mixed fleet get paid, I doubt their hangovers are really going to be that big.

MF crew sure know how to party down in SCL. Staying 3 weeks in the crew hotel showed that hangovers were intense and frequent.

13901 Jun 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Whether you find it ridiculous or not it doesn't matter. It's in the agreement that the Airline has signed with the LGW base, agreement that the airline is now binning for its own internal purposes, i.e. improving profitability. Now, an enlightened approach would be to offer something in return, but this isn't the case.

The guy from Head for Points wrote an article some time ago (when I still went around by the nickname '13900', before stupidly locking myself out and becoming '13901') about the potential for strike, an article that I didn't take too seriously. In all honesty, I should've known better. In the past 3 years BA has: 1) closed the defined contribution scheme; 2) closed ICC bases in GRU, EZE, HKG, SIN; 3) reduced all HQ areas by 30%, in some cases more; 4) outsourced all Line Maintenance but for 2 stations in Europe; 5) outsourced IT, with the loss of approx. 1,000 jobs; 6) modified the grading structure in LHR, with the end of most of the highest paid roles; 7) reduced greatly middle management in the operation at the hubs; 8) closed a number of US stations and most of Europe's.

Some of these activities were forced, and I don't feel animosity at having been treated the way that I, personally, have (having to re-apply for your own job twice in 5 years, my team has shrunk 50%). However, BA has won in all of the above cases, sometimes extremely easily. It's understandable that they're confident that they'll slam dunk this pay deal too (the real thorny issue is the pilot/crew pay deal, the LGW strike and the MF scheduling agreement are sideshows). However I don't think that it'll work, especially if pilots go for it too.

Boeing77W Jun 12, 2019 11:51 pm

Situations such as these are never helped by sensationalist reporting from the beloved media. I would also say the Unions dont always help themselves in their choice of language. This forum has an incredibly high number of members who spend a huge amount of time on aircraft in general, and those who probably spend more time on them than some of the crew themselves and therefore experience the negatives of frequent travel etc.

Having said that there is a lot to be said for working on an aircraft compared to being a passenger on one. For sometime my partner felt that the levels of tiredness I experienced once home from a trip were over the top and unjustified, this caused numerous arguments. Eventually he joined me on two trips; the first was a 10hr flight westbound which had two nights off downroute. We flew back to the UK and had two days at home. We then flew east for 13hrs and had another two nights off downroute. His attitude changed dramatically after this and I can say arguments are now minimal ;)

I’m not naive to the fact that some crew members, from both sides of the flight deck door, will over indulge downroute and this will have a negative impact on both the quality and quantity of their rest. While reducing rest downroute may seem like a small matter, once combined with the numerous other physoclogial and physiological challenges of the job it becomes a much more important consideration with regards to terms and conditions, especially as each individual can handle these challenges in a different way.

Another area to consider, and has already been highlighted by many on this forum, is that without unions a vast majority of employees in a company such as BA have zero bargaining power. My partner is a senior manager in the financial world, he has taken several new jobs in the last eight years or so and for each of those he was able to negotiate his salary, bonus and leave prior to joining. He’s also given a fair amount of discretion in areas such as travel and can make the policy work in his favour. Obviously this isn’t the case for all and we can’t tar everyone with the same brush.

Views are my own...

irishguy28 Jun 13, 2019 6:37 am

.....makes them sound like children.....

....breaks and nappy time.....

.....without any nappy time.....

I am not trying to belittle the FAs job

Hmmm.

If you enjoy nappy time so much, perhaps you should apply for a Mixed Fleet job!

You sound like the type of person BA would love to have on the team. ;-)

UKtravelbear Jun 13, 2019 8:48 am

A couple of years ago I did a trip on the Babybus LCY - JFK. There was an excellent member of cabin crew who was also on the baby bus back the following week when I took that flight.

Chatting to him on the way back he told me his flying schedule -

Tuesday - LCY-JFK (the flight I was on)
Wednesday JFK - LCY
Thursday - home
Friday - LGW-MCO
Saturday - MCO-LGW
Sunday - home
Monday - LCY-JFK
Tuesday JFK-LCY (the flight I was on)

(and I don't think that all the Sunday was spent at home as I believe LGW staff serving on the babybus spend the night in a hotel close to LCY)

That's hardly the glamorous life many people think cabin crew have. I don't think he got much chance to do any partying!

And speaking to cabin crew friends of mine (both BA and VS) they don't do a lot of partying either even with a 2 or even 3 night stop trip because they can't afford it!