Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by paulaf
When will the results of the ballot be announced please?
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9015001.html
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by paulaf
When will the results of the ballot be announced please?
We discourage "bare links" in FT, it's best to put a short summary for the benefit of those FTers who can't or won't click through. This is FT rule 7.

This afternoon (Monday 22 July) we are likely to hear the result - it will almost certainly be for strike action - and there is an emergency High Court review tomorrow (Tuesday 23 July). So we may hear something in the next few days.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
We discourage "bare links" in FT, it's best to put a short summary for the benefit of those FTers who can't or won't click through. This is FT rule 7.
Oh, sorry about that. I thought it might have been helpful.

But you live and learn.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:13 am

Strike is on.

https://www.balpa.org/Media-Centre/P...-strike-action
Deltus and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Important qu otefrom the link above

We currently do not have dates for any potential strike action and will issue an update on this in due course. We remain hopeful that this dispute can be resolved before strike action, but we remain committed to action if necessary.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
and there is an emergency High Court review tomorrow (Tuesday 23 July). So we may hear something in the next few days.
What would the court review? Who would have initiated the court action? BA or the union?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
For those who cannot use the link...
90% turnout
93% in favour

BALPA statement:

Release date: 22/07/2019

BALPA’s industrial action ballot of members in British Airways has now closed, with a 93% vote in favour of industrial action on a 90% turnout.

BALPA General Secretary, Brian Strutton, said:

“This strong result demonstrates the resolve of BA pilots, and shows BA that it must table a sensible improved offer if a strike is to be averted. Sadly three days of ACAS talks have not moved the company’s position one iota. Settlement of this dispute is in BA’s hands.

“We do not wish to inconvenience our customers which is why we have tried to resolve this matter through negotiation starting last November – it is BA who has regrettably chosen to drag this out into the summer months.”

BALPA believes the cost to BA to settle dispute in full is significantly less than the cost would be of even a single day’s strike action.

BA’s attempt to injunct this industrial action in the High Court tomorrow [Tuesday 23rd July] means that any further negotiations are on hold while we prepare to defend our right to take this action

BA is making massive profits as a result of the hard work and dedication of staff, including because of sacrifices made during hard times. Thankfully BA is no longer in a fight for survival so, like the airline’s senior managers and directors, pilots deserve a small fraction of that profit via, for instance, a profit share scheme.

We currently do not have dates for any potential strike action and will issue an update on this in due course. We remain hopeful that this dispute can be resolved before strike action, but we remain committed to action if necessary.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jagboi
What would the court review? Who would have initiated the court action? BA or the union?
BA. I read they believe there were issues with the ballot process that would invalidate it.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The court review is pretty standard process. BA want to invalidate the ballot.
Lots of employers try this, advised by solicitors and barristers who want to earn something from this and any dispute.
My memory fails, but I am sure BA used this playbook with the earlier CC strike, which eventually yielded a defeated BASSA and BA then created MF.

At this point in time, there is NO strike and no strike days. - just the outcome of a ballot.
paulaf likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
We still have the HAL strike to look forward to on Friday though!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I must admit I thought it was a cabin crew dispute looming
Has their dispute gone to a vote yet?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Blue, SPG Silver
The Independent saying the earliest strike date would be the 6th August?

I'm supposed to be flying JFK-LHR that day...
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There is a very good chance that MF and LGW crew going on strike, I don’t think WW and EF will but we haven’t had the results of the ballot as yet, the LGW and MF results are already in.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Hawker_Hunter
The Independent saying the earliest strike date would be the 6th August?

I'm supposed to be flying JFK-LHR that day...
I think it might be slightly later than that.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:10 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Can I help you

I think it might be slightly later than that.
yeah, probably the 8th - the day I fly on holiday

hopefully everyone will get back around the table and resolve this so that innocent passengers are not used as bargaining pawns

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.