Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by nancypants

to be fair I think expectation management is important in these situations. Rephrase as “prepare yourself for the possibility that your holiday will most likely not happen”?
I wouldn't disagree with that but there was probably a million better ways to say it. Even just saying, "there is very limited availability to Santiago during August and there may not be enough capacity on other airlines to accommodate you being rebooked" says it without being so callous. Anyway, enough said about it - probably better to just move on.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Every one caught up in this situation has an opinion. Emotions will run higher than they are now.

On August 23rd my travelling companion is flying on BA (LHR-DXB) and we will be in DUS. No point in getting our knickers in a knot now about how she gets to DXB. Her job starts in DXB right after she arrives, and her employer will just have to wait.

Yes, money is involved for her and for me. Fortunately our LIVES are not at risk. So be it. Stay Cool - if you can. 😉
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
I’m so looking forward to the new thread “LHR and BA Employees on Strike - Summer 2019” ...................................

NOT Materialising 😉
A P Yu, wrp96 and Brisbane Road like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:11 am

Why not switch reservations onto carriers without impending industrial action, to avoid any stress?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by BAEC
Re the Insurance .... I believe the earlier date applies (The date "a ballot to strike" is called) rather than when the strike is announced.
For some policies I'm sure you're right. Some other policies only apply the date that the action is announced. For example, HSBC Premier travel insurance:
This policy does not cover the following:...
Any claim caused by an event for which the dates had been publicly announced and/or reported by the media at the time of opening your HSBC Premier account or booking your trip (whichever is later), eg strike, airport closure or flight cancellation.
I assume this is because in many cases a ballot to strike does not announce the date of strike action - often, the ballot is a test of the union's mandate from members and the union organisers may then keep their powder dry, and their members at work, while they negotiate from a position of strong support of their members.

For insurance, it is worth checking your policy wording carefully or contacting them for clarification if you are at significant financial risk. One might choose to eat the cost of a weekend away while planning to claim the cost of an expedition holiday.
BAEC likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: QF WP

Sitting waiting for a delayed Loganair flight so had a read of mine. Necessarily vague is obviously the look they’re going for

no definition of “mass media” in the glossary so my question remains unanswered
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Why not switch reservations onto carriers without impending industrial action, to avoid any stress?
I would agree with this. On day 1 of the strike BA will have many passengers arriving from the US/Canada/Asia on overnight flights. Rebooking these arriving passengers will be BA's priority, to the point that London departing passengers have no rebooking option available.

The best possible outcome would be BA waking up to reality and making an acceptable offer instead of being so confrontational.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Lol, assuming this is tongue in cheek.

Day before my flight to New York, eh- I fancy going Delta instead so I’ll switch my flight over as it won’t cost a penny!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Brisbane Road

Lol, assuming this is tongue in cheek.

Day before my flight to New York, eh- I fancy going Delta instead so I’ll switch my flight over as it won’t cost a penny!
Of course it is not tongue in cheek - I find that an odd remark.

If the flights are as important as represented here, creating the hysteria that they appear to, then changing carrier (at potential cost) is a strategy to avoid any stress. If not, then suck it up and, if a strike does occur, come on here to complain with the usual gnashing of teeth whilst others continue their travels as if nothing has happened. If a strike does not occur, then you are no worse off than current position. Your decision to be proactive or not.

Personally, I have moved 2 BA operated JFK-LHR sectors to AA (booked prior to any news of a potential strike), and also another reservation that could have been placed with AA/BA has gone to LX. These are 3 reservations that I cannot afford to not travel on, hence I have proactively insured myself to avoid any potential issues, however small the risk may be.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Meanwhile, at Heathrow, life continues as normal despite the prospects of the BA strike and 4,000 Heathrow employees walking out:

"Travellers set to depart from Heathrow Terminal 2 over the summer holidays are in for a treat as Heathrow and Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew today unveil a unique, hand-made 12 metre squared Botanical Tapestry, depicting global flora in intricate and colourful detail."
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond

If the flights are as important as represented here, creating the hysteria that they appear to, then changing carrier (at potential cost) is a strategy to avoid any stress. If not, then suck it up and, if a strike does occur, come on here to complain with the usual gnashing of teeth whilst others continue their travels as if nothing has happened. If a strike does not occur, then you are no worse off than current position. Your decision to be proactive or not.

Personally, I have moved 2 BA operated JFK-LHR sectors to AA (booked prior to any news of a potential strike), and also another reservation that could have been placed with AA/BA has gone to LX. These are 3 reservations that I cannot afford to not travel on, hence I have proactively insured myself to avoid any potential issues, however small the risk may be.
For some people the cost may be significant and therefore stressful
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by andimilk
For some people the cost may be significant and therefore stressful
Repeat...

Flyertalkers, grant me the serenity to accept the flights I cannot change,
Courage to change the flights I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Silver

Sure. But this all very well said than done. There is literally no hard evidence to suggest a strike is definitely going ahead (in fact I think most would agree that it's far likelier a resolution is found), so what would be the point of potentially spending thousands of pounds on new flights when you're likely going to show up at the airport on the same day and your original flight is going ahead as planned? It's like buying a rip off insurance policy. You've given an example of where an AA transfer worked for you but unless you had some flexibility in your ticket, I'm sure you paid a price for those as BA wouldn't be proactively rebooking people unless a strike is confirmed.

If travel is absolutely essential at all costs (and cost is less of an issue) then this could be one way to go about it, appreciated but you just aren't factoring in the costs associated is the point I was making.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
(look up for the image of policy text)
Originally Posted by nancypants
no definition of “mass media” in the glossary so my question remains unanswered
I think "The Independent" might qualify as mass media announcement

This is not very useful - you're supposed to take rumours and initial union threat of action into account? You'd never fly to or via French airspace between March and October if you did that! Or take the Tube half the time.

Unfortunately the terms are as written; an ombudsman might find that preliminary reporting of industrial unrest was not concrete enough to take action but one would be taking a chance. A ballot for strike action might be more concrete evidence of "potential existence". I can only suggest finding a less evasive insurer in future or very quickly now, as soon as actual dates are announced you're outside most any insurance cover.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
So I have holiday dates (Sat Aug 24th onwards, for a couple of weeks). And a cancellable, accommodation only booking so far on booking.com. Just outside BCN. I think in light of the above my simplest option if I still want to go is to just proactively choose to book with EZY now and be done with it I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.