Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, UA Premier Platinum
BA statement:

“British Airways, which has the majority of operations at Heathrow, says it plans to operate as normal.

A BA spokesperson said: “Heathrow airport have assured us that they will have robust contingency plans in place to avoid any disruption to travellers.”
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by SteveWhite88
BA statement:

“British Airways, which has the majority of operations at Heathrow, says it plans to operate as normal.

A BA spokesperson said: “Heathrow airport have assured us that they will have robust contingency plans in place to avoid any disruption to travellers.”
Like all BA plans they may end up as pie in the sky.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
Like all BA plans they may end up as pie in the sky.
Or, quite possibly, pie on the ground instead.

mikeyfly and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by pauldb
And there's more: 4,000 Heathrow workers, Unite members, with strikes announced for 26/27 July and 5/6, 23/24 August. "could poternitally shut down the airport."

https://unitetheunion.org/news-event...n-pay-dispute/
I wonder what the implications of this are. Wonder if there are ground crew to get people alighted from an A380 or not... I'm due to land LHR on 6th August (was hoping to miss the BA strike by a day, might have failed elsewhere!) and will certainly only go with hand luggage now.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by SonTech
I have nothing against people striking but I do think that they should be accountable for their actions, and any 3rd party who is affected should be allowed to seek compensation from those sttiking causing them financial loses or stress This is for any situation not just this one.
I'm sure you would agree to my modest proposal that any failure to travel or spend money by you should also be actionable, as the airline is entitled to your money. Not only should you not get a refund for any fares, but if you don't book the first place you should have to pay up, and also pay the money you would have spent on ancillary charges. Then there's the transport costs to and from the airport, and the hotel while you're away, and so on. Let's extend it to any shopping you don't do, any leisure attractions you don't use, etc?

Sure, bring on financial extortion to intimidate people you think are indentured servants. You submit first, to those you serve. I'll be waiting, in the travel industry, for your payments that I think I'm owed under your scheme.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I wonder what the implications of this are. Wonder if there are ground crew to get people alighted from an A380 or not... I'm due to land LHR on 6th August (was hoping to miss the BA strike by a day, might have failed elsewhere!) and will certainly only go with hand luggage now.
The earliest date for BA strike action by BALPA is 5 August if it goes ahead and the action could be continuous so landing on 6th is probably departing on 5th could still be affected. Reading between the lines eg with the agreements on social media I’m hoping other agreements may be made preventing the action.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi all

I have a flight to Santiago (CW 2-4-1 redemption) that will potentially be hit if a strike goes ahead (it departs just over 2 weeks after the pilots ballot).

It's critical that we arrive in Santiago within 24 hrs of our scheduled flight (which arrives Fri morning) as we have onward transfers to a fairly remote ski resort that only depart on a Saturday so if our BA flight is cancelled I want to be pro-active in getting BA to re-book us on another carrier.

What's our best course of action if/when we find our flight is affected? Call the silver line (I'd presume there would be a lot of callers) or go to Heathrow and speak to an agent (I live in central London so that wouldn't be a big issue)?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by alpenlupe
Hi all

I have a flight to Santiago (CW 2-4-1 redemption) that will potentially be hit if a strike goes ahead (it departs just over 2 weeks after the pilots ballot).

It's critical that we arrive in Santiago within 24 hrs of our scheduled flight (which arrives Fri morning) as we have onward transfers to a fairly remote ski resort that only depart on a Saturday so if our BA flight is cancelled I want to be pro-active in getting BA to re-book us on another carrier.

What's our best course of action if/when we find our flight is affected? Call the silver line (I'd presume there would be a lot of callers) or go to Heathrow and speak to an agent (I live in central London so that wouldn't be a big issue)?
You're not going if there is a strike, live with it.

How much spare capacity do you think there is to Santiago in August? Even a one-day strike would take 3-4 days to clear everyone, and this will not be a one day strike.

BA is flying 1 million passenger PER WEEK in August. Even if there were the seats elsewhere (there are not) who do you think is manually rebooking one million people?!
rapidex and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Hi all

I would do as I have done for my upcoming trip to YUL...
I have already looked to see what the alternatives are.
I have talked to the other members of the group, so I know how much leeway I have vis-ŕ-vis leaving early etc.
Now I just have to wait and see what actually comes along and how BA are going the deal with it, and then dependant on that I will have tip-toed through the chaos, or I am right in the middle of it and have to try to action whichever of the plans B, C, D .... ZZZZ I have come up with suits me and BA to get around the chaos.
alpenlupe and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:04 am

Hi all

Other carriers flights are already almost full. This is summer. If your flight is cancelled the most likely option will be go home.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Raffles
How much spare capacity do you think there is to Santiago in August?
Not much! That's why I'm trying to be pro-active. Someone will be first to be re-booked, why not me?
jp-mco and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
You're not going if there is a strike, live with it.
Is this how we now respond to people who are worried the holiday they've likely been looking forward to will be disrupted by industrial action? This was a horrible way to respond.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by jp-mco
Is this how we now respond to people who are worried the holiday they've likely been looking forward to will be disrupted by industrial action? This was a horrible way to respond.
How would you have done it better?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Perhaps something constructive such as I put in my reply.
alpenlupe and jp-mco like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:31 am

Are you seriously asking me that? For starters I wouldn't have said, "you're not going if there is a strike, live with it" and secondly I would have actually offered some constructive advice which is what they came here for rather than just make them feel worse about the whole situation.
wrp96 and alpenlupe like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.