Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 23, 19, 8:25 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 22, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Physci View Post
The Financial Times is reporting that BA has agreed a pay deal with BALPA which will be put to a vote by the pilots
It was behind a paywall for me, could you give a brief summary of the article please?
Old Nov 22, 19, 12:27 pm

Good news indeed, what are the chances of the pilots accepting it ?
Old Nov 22, 19, 12:30 pm

This is a summary:

British Airways has agreed a new pay deal with its pilots’ union, heading off the risk of Christmas strikes as the airline looks to end one of the most damaging industrial disputes in its history. As part of the agreement, BA agreed to insert an inflation protection clause to its previous pay offer of an 11.5 per cent rise over three years. It also offered improvements to working conditions, rostering and flight bonuses. In a union email seen by the FT, Balpa, which represents the majority of BA’s pilots, said it was recommending the new offer to its members. A ballot of BA’s pilots will now take place in the coming days to vote on the new deal.

If pilots vote in favour of the proposal, it will put an end to a costly and turbulent few months for BA that saw it hit by the first pilots’ strike in the airline’s history. The 48-hour walkout in September saw 2,325 flights cancelled, costing BA’s parent group IAG about €137m. Over the past month, Alex Cruz, BA’s chief executive, has come under pressure to resolve the dispute quickly from Willie Walsh, who heads up IAG. In addition to the inflation protection, the airline offered to restore the generous travel perks that it had stripped from pilots ahead of a mass two-day walkout in September. Both BA and the Balpa union have agreed to drop legal action. However, the offer is also a compromise by the union as it has not managed to secure a significant pay rise or a profit-share scheme that it had been pushing for. Under the previous deal, BA had offered pilots a pay increase of 11.5 per cent over three years — an offer that both the Unite and GMB trade unions, which represent nearly 90 per cent of all BA workers, accepted in the summer. When contacted by the FT, Balpa said: “We can confirm that Balpa, BA and ACAS [the arbitration service] have put together a new pay and conditions proposal and subject to final checks Balpa expects it will shortly be consulting its 4,000 BA members on them."
Old Nov 24, 19, 7:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
HfP's article seems to say that it isn't a given that pilots will accept it. I'm not sure where Raffles gets his information but it might not be as over as people think.
Old Nov 24, 19, 10:21 am

This is only over if the membership votes to accept the deal. BALPA have made it plain that to get a further improvement would require more strike action and for longer periods.

I have no idea how the membership will vote.
Old Nov 24, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Not too much longer until we know for sure.

But one thing is already known : it would be by no means unprecedented to find that a Union is out of sync with the wishes / opinions / determination of its own members.
Old Nov 24, 19, 11:36 am

Do we know when the vote takes place?
Old Nov 24, 19, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Do we know when the vote takes place?
Over the next week. As members are flying around the world it is a rolling ballot.
paulaf likes this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
Over the next week. As members are flying around the world it is a rolling ballot.
Have you been informed when the ballot results will be published? Thanks
Old Dec 11, 19, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Time has passed since the private information relayed by Paulaf on 23 November.
I am about to book a few longhaul flights. Being risk averse, I would not book BA (depsite attractive pricing) unless I get some reliable info.
Any insider news on the vote?
Old Dec 15, 19, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
Hi, is the vote now completed, presume it's been accepted? Thanks
Old Dec 15, 19, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Hi, is the vote now completed, presume it's been accepted? Thanks
Vote closes tomorrow.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 15, 19, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Boeing77W View Post
Vote closes tomorrow.
Ok thanks, how long until the result is announced do you know?
Old Dec 15, 19, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Ok thanks, how long until the result is announced do you know?
Afraid I don't know. However as it's an electronic vote I shouldn't think we'll be waiting long.
Old Dec 16, 19, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Having agreed a pay deal in principle, the Pilots’ union BALPA balloted their members with a recommendation that they accept it. With the ballot now complete, I’m pleased to confirm that our Pilot colleagues have formally accepted the deal, which brings the dispute over pay to a close.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: