Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 23, 19, 8:25 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 3, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: QF WP
The global supply and demand issue is broadly unchanged (acknowledging the brief local glut of TC pilots which I gather are now mainly employed elsewhere and which BA would not have had the capacity to train anyway).

edit to add:
besides, there’s plenty of scope for BA to work with things that don’t cost money- staff travel and clarifying the “working practices” changes, for example

Last edited by nancypants; Nov 3, 19 at 7:13 am
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I find some of the posts surreal.

As if the financial situation of pilots was unrelated to that of BA.
Since the pilots rejected BA's offer and prepared for strike earlier this year, the global economic situation has considerably worsened. Most airlines have tuned down their expansion/profit forecast. Already on 2 June, IATA predicted an airline profit squeeze and the economic situation has gotten much worse in a few months. That is unrelated to the pilot strike. It is unsure that BA would have been willing to offer the 11.9% raise in today's environment.
Of course, the further damages inflicted by the strikes do not help.

Sure, everyone would prefer a 15% or 30% raise to 11%. But the evolution of global economic conditions have not worked in the the pilots favor and maybe they should avoid being trapped in an emotional bubble.
Your comments are wide of the mark.
BA are chronically short of pilots with a retirement bulge under way. BA is unable to fly the flights it already has and has resorted to leasing in wet lease aircraft in order to not lease the slots.
BA cannot lay off pilots without the slots it has acquired at great cost being lost.
Lufthansa has just leased a slot to United for its 6th LHR-EWR flight.
The Thomas Cook pilots have mostly found jobs elsewhere.Very few wanted to relocate and join BA. BA's training system is fully committed for the next six months. There is zero room for any additional capacity.
As I have not seen or heard anything from BALPA I assume this so called leaked letter is just fake news as Mr T would call it.
lhrpete, red duster, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 10:11 am

Programs: BA
The Cabin Crew unions got a lot of bad press for announcing a long strike over Christmas 10 years ago, which subsequently got cancelled as BA went to court, I would be surprised if the pilots untion would do the same, as others have mentioned they have tended to avoid dates that would get them more bad press.
Old Nov 3, 19, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by The Ginge View Post
The Cabin Crew unions got a lot of bad press for announcing a long strike over Christmas 10 years ago, which subsequently got cancelled as BA went to court, I would be surprised if the pilots untion would do the same, as others have mentioned they have tended to avoid dates that would get them more bad press.
I can only hope this is true. We are booked to fly early December. It's been an awful year and we are desperate for our well-earned holiday. I'll be devastated if it gets cancelled and while I understand that pilots have issues with the way things are going with BA (and that unions are within their rights to carry out legal strike action), I genuinely check this thread with trepidation and will do until 14 days before our flight...
T8191 and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Nothing has been announced. People stop panicking.
alex67500, greg5 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
Your comments are wide of the mark.
BA are chronically short of pilots with a retirement bulge under way. BA is unable to fly the flights it already has and has resorted to leasing in wet lease aircraft in order to not lease the slots.
BA cannot lay off pilots without the slots it has acquired at great cost being lost.
Lufthansa has just leased a slot to United for its 6th LHR-EWR flight.
The Thomas Cook pilots have mostly found jobs elsewhere.Very few wanted to relocate and join BA. BA's training system is fully committed for the next six months. There is zero room for any additional capacity.
As I have not seen or heard anything from BALPA I assume this so called leaked letter is just fake news as Mr T would call it.
I don't see why you quote my post.
I made no reference to pilots supply and demand.
I only made a general comment that global economic conditions have strongly worsened in the past 6 months. And airlines have seen their loads and yields deteriorate with poor prospects for the coming 12 months.
Everyone should realize that the airlines financial environment is quite worse than it was when pilots started negotiating at year start. BA will be less willing to grant raises than it was six months ago. Today they might not even have proposed the deal that they offered a few months ago and agreed to reinstate.
Looking at the BA tree should not make forget about the forest..
Old Nov 3, 19, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I only made a general comment that global economic conditions have strongly worsened in the past 6 months. And airlines have seen their loads and yields deteriorate with poor prospects for the coming 12 months.
Yet last week Air Canada reported record profits. IAG will have a Markets Day this week, it will be interesting to see what they say.
Old Nov 3, 19, 5:42 pm

I don't see why you quote my post.
I made no reference to pilots supply and demand.
Everyone should realize that the airlines financial environment is quite worse than it was when pilots started negotiating at year start. BA will be less willing to grant raises than it was six months ago. Today they might not even have proposed the deal that they offered a few months ago and agreed to reinstate.
Looking at the BA tree should not make forget about the forest..
There is no rule preventing post quotation.
If you are unhappy you may report the matter to a mod.
Old Nov 3, 19, 6:09 pm

Programs: QF WP
I won’t quote anything but don’t think it’s possible to consider profit/loss figures in isolation; there IS a global pilot shortage. Planes can’t fly without pilots, therefore airlines can’t make money without pilots

it’s been thrashed out to death but I don’t see anything being asked for that will challenge the profit and loss figures- or are BA really so mismanaged that £5mil will tip them over the edge??
Old Nov 3, 19, 10:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post

There appears to be some truth in the Daily Mail article, according to The Sun, it has received a leaked letter:

”In a letter leaked to The Sun, Balpa chiefs reckon it is “the time to bank the package on the table”.

An insider described the decision as a “massive and embarrassing climbdown”.

The union grounded BA’s fleet for two days in September and had threatened a ten-day walkout over Christmas. But after four weeks of stalemate, BA has agreed to reinstate a previous pay offer of 11.9 per cent over three years.

Striking pilots were stripped of free travel perks. They will be reinstated but not until next September.”

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/102629...es-called-off/
This is the quality English journal with spot on reporting of the events at Hillsborough and the same paper that sent journalists to New Zealand to trouble Ben Stokes mum about the murder of his half brother and sister 31 years ago,

in that case fill your BA flight diary to the brim, no chance of you throwing your toys out the pram with you being stranded somewhere in the world because BAs pilots are on strike because there’s no chance of it happening because The Sun said so.
Old Nov 4, 19, 12:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
This is the quality English journal with spot on reporting of the events at Hillsborough and the same paper that sent journalists to New Zealand to trouble Ben Stokes mum about the murder of his half brother and sister 31 years ago,

in that case fill your BA flight diary to the brim, no chance of you throwing your toys out the pram with you being stranded somewhere in the world because BAs pilots are on strike because there’s no chance of it happening because The Sun said so.
I have not booked a BA flight since the first strike dates were announced and will not do so until such time that the industrial action is resolved.

The quote from The Sun was provided to offer the source of the story being discussed, a piece where they claim that they have in their possession a copy of a letter written by Balpa. I offer it without comment for people to make up their own minds on the matter under discussion, unlike your contribution which serves no purpose other than for you to take another swipe at me.
Old Nov 4, 19, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
One thing running through this strike is that BALPA has been a little out of step with the pilots themselves. Even if BALPA is now recomending the BA offer, the pilots may refuse.

Some cryptic feedback I've seen online implies that whilst BA has given ground, they have tried to sneak in something else at the same time which is not good for the pilots.
Old Nov 14, 19, 5:05 am

Is there any update on this please, resolved or not yet? Thanks
Old Nov 14, 19, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Is there any update on this please, resolved or not yet? Thanks
Nothing has changed, otherwise someone would have posted the information.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Sirius Gold, Hertz PC, Amex Centurion
The Financial Times is reporting that BA has agreed a pay deal with BALPA which will be put to a vote by the pilots.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...QcUeyk1qfhLKd6

Last edited by Physci; Nov 22, 19 at 12:16 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: