Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rapidex
BA are showing no willingness to negociate. That being the case if nothing changes there will be further strikes announced.
Assuming the TC repatriation ‘pause’ will last for 2 weeks (to get everyone home) and then 14 days notice for another strike, it would seem we are safe for a month.

Not an ideal silver lining to the cloud I will admit, given th circumstances, but a faint positive amidst the bad news.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Could BA call upon TC pilots to assist next time their pilots go on strike? I assume not because things are never that simple.
They cannot fly BA aircraft.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
They cannot fly BA aircraft.
Could you expand a bit, if you have a moment.

Type rating, obviously required, but presumably Company Procedures/Manuals may differ. Or is there more?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That is not the kind of "stranded" that Thomas Cook customers might face if it were not for the repatriation arrangements that have come into effect.

In contrast, you were inconvenienced - although I do not know the circumstances in which BA was apparently unable to find you any alternative flight back to the UK at all on any airline until three days after your originally booked date.
With respect, Thomas Cook passengers were always going to be repatriated, and swiftly. The potential inconveniences of those abroad are far less than the inconveniences suffered by many BA passengers as a result of the Balpa industrial action. The CAA announced immediately that all those passengers should continue to enjoy their holidays and they will be repatriated on flights as close to their original flights as possible. Aircraft were dispatched hours before Thomas Cook even announced it was to close down operations.

I was on a 10 day business trip around Asia when the strikes were announced, by the time I had seen the notifications of my cancelled flights and was able to contact BA there was not a single seat available for me to take until 3 days later.

None of that excuses Balpa from prioritising the interests of Thomas Cook passengers over the interests of the equally innocent BA passengers.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by T8191

Type rating, obviously required, but presumably Company Procedures/Manuals may differ. Or is there more?
Basically that yes. Plus pre employment checks and medicals to have etc which also take time to organise and complete. Probbaly working visas for some countries need to be organised too (but obviously could fly to destinations where that isn't an issue)

Training needed on landing and take off at airports too I believe as they are all different and whilst some TC pilots may very well know LGW and some BA destinations BA would still needed to assess that knowledge.

Someone posted earlier that the BA training department can only process approx 250 new starters in a year in batches

When a friend of mine switched from easyjet to virgin he had to wait a few months for a place on their induction process.

And it's the same for cabin crew as well.
T8191, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:57 am

SEP training simulator training on BA procedures general induction training which would all take about 4 weeks if there was any available places. Currently training department is at max capacity for about the next 6 months.
T8191, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
With respect, Thomas Cook passengers were always going to be repatriated, and swiftly. The potential inconveniences of those abroad are far less than the inconveniences suffered by many BA passengers as a result of the Balpa industrial action. The CAA announced immediately that all those passengers should continue to enjoy their holidays and they will be repatriated on flights as close to their original flights as possible. Aircraft were dispatched hours before Thomas Cook even announced it was to close down operations.

I was on a 10 day business trip around Asia when the strikes were announced, by the time I had seen the notifications of my cancelled flights and was able to contact BA there was not a single seat available for me to take until 3 days later.

None of that excuses Balpa from prioritising the interests of Thomas Cook passengers over the interests of the equally innocent BA passengers.
BALPA are not prioritising anything. They are merely exercising restraint to avoid exacerbating an already difficult situation.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Assuming the TC repatriation ‘pause’ will last for 2 weeks (to get everyone home) and then 14 days notice for another strike, it would seem we are safe for a month.

Not an ideal silver lining to the cloud I will admit, given th circumstances, but a faint positive amidst the bad news.
That'd suit me but I'm assuming nothing yet.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:32 am

It would not ne necessary to await the completion of the repatriation before giving 2 weeks notice. I would not expect much to happen for a week.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I did - 3 days I was stranded abroad when I should have been at home enjoying what little precious family time I have. Another trip had to be completely rerouted and reorganised causing me to be away longer than was otherwise necessary.

None of Thomas Cook's passengers are being stranded, repatriation flights are already bringing their passengers home with further flights organised to bring others home close to their original departure time. I could not get home because there was not a single seat available for 3 days.

Balpa should spend their energy on resolving the issues with BA instead playing the PR game.
With all due respect you need to take that up with BA. You weren’t forced to travel, you chose to start/continue your trip. Thomas Cook passengers from Palms to Glasgow this morning will be flown to Birmingham today and then coached to Glasgow getting home around 9-12 hours late, not ideal but they are getting home.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
With all due respect you need to take that up with BA. You weren’t forced to travel, you chose to start/continue your trip. Thomas Cook passengers from Palms to Glasgow this morning will be flown to Birmingham today and then coached to Glasgow getting home around 9-12 hours late, not ideal but they are getting home.
As a customer I choose to book my air travel according to my needs. I pay my money, not small amounts, to travel exactly when I need to travel. Because of the number of trips I have to undertake my schedules are tight, often meaning I have overlapping itineraries with several airlines. Most of my trips are there and back, same day where possible and a single night away where not. I can forgive delays and cancellations due to weather, due to technical issues and to other events outside an airlines control. As a customer I cannot forgive a business (nor the union) that severely inconveniences me because of industrial action.

I was forced to stay abroad because I could not get a seat on any flight home, there simply weren't any, I looked. I have taken up the issue with BA, indeed I have not booked a single BA flight since the date the first strikes were announced. I have a livelihood to keep, I have business commitments to keep, I have a family life that I want to keep.

Being delayed or inconvenienced a few hours I can cope with, being delayed three days and then being told Balpa will take no further action until the repatriation of Thomas Cook passengers is completed is rubbing salt in the wound. What it tells me is that Balpa is more concerned about the passengers of another airline (who in any event are being repatriated by the CAA when their holidays are completed) than they are about the passengers who pay their members' wages.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Being delayed or inconvenienced a few hours I can cope with, being delayed three days and then being told Balpa will take no further action until the repatriation of Thomas Cook passengers is completed is rubbing salt in the wound. What it tells me is that Balpa is more concerned about the passengers of another airline (who in any event are being repatriated by the CAA when their holidays are completed) than they are about the passengers who pay their members' wages.
So, you're more important than everyone else.

You do realise that TC passengers also pay the wages of BALPA members (until they lost their jobs yesterday)?
lhrpete, red duster and truncated like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
So, you're more important than everyone else...
Why would you say that?

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You do realise that TC passengers also pay the wages of BALPA members (until they lost their jobs yesterday)?
Perhaps I should have said "... passengers who pay their striking members' wages."?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are many ways in which BA strikes and TC administration impact individuals and, indeed, their pockets (whether corporate or private). In every case it is, to varying degrees, inconvenient. Every individual victim (for such they are) deserves sympathy ... and I do not deign to rate one case against another, as they are all so different.

We have holiday flights with BA, JER-LGW-MLA and return, next month. We can absorb any fiscal shock, or rescheduling, with equanimity. Others will be in completely different territory.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
As a customer I choose to book my air travel according to my needs. I pay my money, not small amounts, to travel exactly when I need to travel. Because of the number of trips I have to undertake my schedules are tight, often meaning I have overlapping itineraries with several airlines. Most of my trips are there and back, same day where possible and a single night away where not. I can forgive delays and cancellations due to weather, due to technical issues and to other events outside an airlines control. As a customer I cannot forgive a business (nor the union) that severely inconveniences me because of industrial action.

I was forced to stay abroad because I could not get a seat on any flight home, there simply weren't any, I looked. I have taken up the issue with BA, indeed I have not booked a single BA flight since the date the first strikes were announced. I have a livelihood to keep, I have business commitments to keep, I have a family life that I want to keep.

You weren’t forced to do anything. You elected/needed to travel, chose BA and their pilots were on strike. It’s been a possibility since the summer. Seems you are selective as to when BA strand you overseas. I seem to recall it wasn’t such a hardship for a delayed flight from Singapore when no doubt Yau would have had to endure some god awful hotel and meals on BAs dime.

The people flying from Palma to Glasgow today 48 hours ago had no idea that they would be going via Birmingham as one wheelchair bound lady said it’s going to be a nightmare but we will get home.
SW7London and truncated like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.