Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Same ........ that what they’re paid in absolute terms negates anything else their employer may do to their terms.
if I was a ‘jetset’ striker, I would have striked the second ba introduced bob and I would have been a hero on daily mail not a villain !
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
BALPA doesn’t appear to be in the mood to settle (as per BALPA’s FT branch) and the mood music from Waterside seems similar, so how long do we think this will go on for? How deep are the pilot’s pockets and how deep will BA delve?

Im interested in what BA are thinking here, what’s the strategy? Could they be trying to force out a top layer of senior, recalcitrant captains, leaving them with a less restrictive workforce?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
My BA operated but AA ticketed flight is cancelled, what are the rebooking guidelines? I notice everything on travel trade relates to just 125 ticketed pax
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
My BA operated but AA ticketed flight is cancelled, what are the rebooking guidelines? I notice everything on travel trade relates to just 125 ticketed pax
Probably best head to the Strike Help Desk Thread
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Sure, speculate away. But when people say 'I'm with the pilots,' I wonder whether it's because they think that BA is in the wrong simply because it is BA and it is in vogue to dislike the company on Flyertalk. How can one say that BA should just give the pilots what they want without knowing what it is that they want?
BAs tone in this is the same as when they were deeply disappointed thst criminals stole their passengers data. I’d its not our fault our IT is outsourced and rubbish it’s these naughty people.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
this is ridiculous, they are paid well and they know very well a pilots life takes you away from home, I even spoke with a ba captain who tells me he does short haul because he wants to be with his family more!

They might as well strike because ba is becoming worse and worse in some areas, they might get more public sympathy then!
Dont forget a junior first officer will start in the region of £27k and that’s with a debt of around £100-120k behind them to get qualified.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by krispy84
Im interested in what BA are thinking here, what’s the strategy? Could they be trying to force out a top layer of senior, recalcitrant captains, leaving them with a less restrictive workforce?
On the face of it, I think that might be a pretty good strategy on BA's part (if it worked). It might provide better pay and benefits to those that need/deserve it, and create a more flexible workforce at the same time.

But what would I know?

Last edited by Grace B; Sep 15, 2019 at 1:28 am Reason: Fattish fingers
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
BALPA doesn’t appear to be in the mood to settle (as per BALPA’s FT branch) and the mood music from Waterside seems similar, so how long do we think this will go on for? How deep are the pilot’s pockets and how deep will BA delve?

That would certainly be sending out mixed messages. A number of Senior Captains are on part time rosters, 70% or 50%. BA have been trying to get them to do a couple of months of 100% because they are so short of Captains.
Silver Fox and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
I expect this to go on for some time. BA are clearly using it as a way to get the higher paid pilots off the books. Then they will simply hire new pilots on the cheaper contracts. This is very similar to mixed fleet crew a few years back.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Dont forget a junior first officer will start in the region of £27k and that’s with a debt of around £100-120k behind them to get qualified.
But how long do they stay on £27k, and how quick is progression up the ladder to the £160k a year jobs?

In most walks of life it's difficult when you're just starting out. I can still remember my first job following 4 years at college getting my degree, where Sunday lunch was a cheese and onion roll and a pint of larger. 40 years on following lots of hard work and zero strikes I fly around the world in business class watching England play cricket.

Why should those who aspire to being a pilot be any different?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
But how long do they stay on £27k, and how quick is progression up the ladder to the £160k a year jobs?

In most walks of life it's difficult when you're just starting out. I can still remember my first job following 4 years at college getting my degree, where Sunday lunch was a cheese and onion roll and a pint of larger. 40 years on following lots of hard work and zero strikes I fly around the world in business class watching England play cricket.

Why should those who aspire to being a pilot be any different?
Was that before or after you lived in the brown paper bag in the septic tank?

Surely progress means that people should at least eat 3 healthy meals a day regardless of seniority, have time for leisure pursuits etc.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Andriyko
But when people say 'I'm with the pilots,' I wonder whether it's because they think that BA is in the wrong simply because it is BA and it is in vogue to dislike the company on Flyertalk. How can one say that BA should just give
But when people say 'I'm with BA' I wonder whether it's because they think that BALPA is in the wrong simply because it is BALPA and it is in vogue to disagree with any criticism of BA from the BA cheerleaders on Flyertalk.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: QF WP
BA is a little bit interesting in that many/most legacy airlines have a regional subsidiary (which may or may not be subcontracted) which takes the junior pilots on a poorer contract while long waits to get into mainline result in more experienced pilots at higher rates.

To the best of my knowledge (please correct me) BACF doesn’t really fill that role? There also isn’t a low cost subsidiary of BA unlike some other mainline carriers

not sure where i’m going with this in terms of the current dispute just sort of thinking out loud. I suppose it means the pilot group is more cohesive in bargaining and the option of using the regional carrier to strikebreak a mainline strike doesn’t exist
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
BA is a little bit interesting in that many/most legacy airlines have a regional subsidiary (which may or may not be subcontracted) which takes the junior pilots on a poorer contract while long waits to get into mainline result in more experienced pilots at higher rates.

To the best of my knowledge (please correct me) BACF doesn’t really fill that role? There also isn’t a low cost subsidiary of BA unlike some other mainline carriers

not sure where i’m going with this in terms of the current dispute just sort of thinking out loud. I suppose it means the pilot group is more cohesive in bargaining and the option of using the regional carrier to strikebreak a mainline strike doesn’t exist
BA used to have a LCC subsiduary, Gofly Ltd, but that was sold off on a management buyout, and subsequently acquired by Easyjet. Easyjet paid £14.55 for the staff's £0.10 options, which earned £86 million for the employees. Said employees transferred to Easyjet as a TUPE takeover.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Having just got back home after flying a total of 10 flights within the past 6 days, that included 5 BA flights of which 3 flights were severely disrupted due to the pilots strike, my personal opinion is that BA is right in maintaining their stand vis a vis BALPA.

After all, if the pilots are not happy with their salary package and conditions, they are free to explore the market and migrate elsewhere if they think they can command a better package. I believe the airline industry will sooner or later enter into an economic downturn and many pilots and crews will be out of their jobs. When (not If) this happens, I sincerely hope BALPA will be able to guarantee a monthly income to the unfortunate pilots.

I would have sympathised with the pilots had the focus of their strike action been mainly to protect their jobs or current level remunerations bearing well in mind the volatile airline environment.

BALPA PILOTS, BE HAPPY YOU STILL HAVE A JOB... IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY AT BA, THEN LOOK ELSEWHERE. NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO CONTINUE WORKING FOR BA.

Last edited by lall; Sep 15, 2019 at 6:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.