Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Porky Speedpig
Stock Market version of this forum reports that UNITE has accepted the deal
Unite cannot accept any deal. They can merely make recommendations to the membership.
wrp96 and Tottie66 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
No issue with the strike or the claim for what those paid it see as fair pay increases, but the timing sucks and will define the view the public have.

Strike outside school holidays and disrupt my flights for work, no issue, no big deal, meetings can be re-arranged, alternate routes found etc, good lick with it. However strike during the school holidays, which happen to be the only time I can use my Avios to spend time with my family (the Avios I earn helping keep BA profitable) does feel like a kick in the teeth.

Options for refunds etc don't really help when you've booked with Avios and are kind of stuck. Here's hoping it's sorted by late August.

​​
To be honest this is what the unions are hoping for maximum disruption, big impact will maybe hone BAs thoughts a bit as others have pointed out would be a tad ironic if there’s not many flights or Sr Cruz has to Don his hi viz again o er the weekend of the August Bank Holiday weekend.
Tottie66 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
@tuonopepper

LOFL - no, it doesn't really help as we get it for months only as it suits BA to use YYZ in the short term to use the A350 to prove it's long haul credentials - it's only a matter of time before the 777's return (though I do like the roar and shudder as the engines crank up - such a bass voice kind of start up - none of this baritone effort from the dream liners!)
Don't worry - Toronto will return to it's lower league position soon enough
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Maybe you should check this thread out and god forbid one of you or your family are ever in this situation the ‘waiters/waitresses’ step in quickly.

BA658 LHR - Zakynthos, diverted to Zagreb, 26 Jun

Crew are always there for our safety. They have to pass recurrent training to demonstrate their ongoing competence. Look at the Vegas incident when fire broke out on take off roll and the 777 that dropped short of the runway at LHR. It’s skilled professional crew in the cockpit and cabin that ensured the most severe injury was a broken bone and a few cuts and grazes. Both of these could have been multi fatality accidents.
Way to miss the point. How many rotations have BA operated since the last incident like this? 5,000? 10,000? 100,000? The point I'm making is that most cabin crew will never face this kind of situation in their entire working career. And should they be unfortunate enough to experience it, they are fully trained to deal with it. And no doubt the crew were excellent and professional, but it doesn't change the fact that 99% or more of the flights any cabin crew will take will not require any of this training - they will be serving drinks and meals, and providing customer care. And being paid appropriately for that role.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by AdBoy
Is BA 'cash-strapped'? Or did I miss something?
Compared to the state of its coffers pre-9/11, I'm sure that's a fair description. And the fact a huge bite has been taken out of its business by LCCs.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse

The ignorance displayed here is straight out of the pages of the Daily Mail, it’s sad that allegedly clever people buy this nonsense.
Let me guess - you're cabin crew. Either way, perhaps you can point out exactly what I've said that is wrong. And if there is any ignorance, perhaps you'd be good enough to correct me. Ignorance is cured by education, so you must have the answers if you believe I'm wrong.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Kevlondon
Way to miss the point. How many rotations have BA operated since the last incident like this? 5,000? 10,000? 100,000? The point I'm making is that most cabin crew will never face this kind of situation in their entire working career. And should they be unfortunate enough to experience it, they are fully trained to deal with it. And no doubt the crew were excellent and professional, but it doesn't change the fact that 99% or more of the flights any cabin crew will take will not require any of this training - they will be serving drinks and meals, and providing customer care. And being paid appropriately for that role.
Just because there thankfully isn't a major incident does not mean that crew, both flight and cabin crew don't deal with situations on a daily basis that require them to employ the various safety measures that they are trained for. This could be anything from dealing with medical situations, drunk passengers to technical issues that while you are tucking into your meal or fast asleep, they are busy quietly dealing with. The fact that most customers never know about various incidents is testament to the skill of the crew to keep the show going. They don't need a major incident to deploy the training that they have.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You could say the same about most of the emergency training given to most pilots.

In fact, some recent events show how poor are some pilots' skills of a routine everyday nature, and yet they still managed to do their everyday jobs until the everyday button-pushing no longer worked. (Not BA pilots, just in case that needs spelling out.) Yet the logical extension of your argument is that pilots should be paid appropriately for button-pushing, and not for the emergency skills on which we might one day suddenly depend.

No thank you, as far as I am concerned.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You could say the same about most of the emergency training given to most pilots.

In fact, some recent events show how poor are some pilots' skills of a routine everyday nature, and yet they still managed to do their everyday jobs until the everyday button-pushing no longer worked. (Not BA pilots, just in case that needs spelling out.) Yet the logical extension of your argument is that pilots should be paid appropriately for button-pushing, and not for the emergency skills on which we might one day suddenly depend.

No thank you, as far as I am concerned.
I'll second that. I'm writing as somebody who has been on a BA plane when there was a problem. A serious problem with an engine on a 747 flying TATL involving a lot of flame. I wasn't that concerned once they'd extinguished it because I knew that the flight deck crew were highly trained and professional. I was more concerned about the attitudes of my fellow passengers than I was about the crew who were calm and professional throughout.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:34 pm

Don't give BA ideas - then they'll split the longhaul cabin crew into two. One cohort that's safety trained - with the legal minimum number being on each flight. And a second cohort -- that only serves food and cleans up after passengers (and don't need safety training). The latter might not need more than a week to train... and World Traveller might become a flying Wetherspoons. Be careful what you wish for!
nancypants and Tottie66 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I'll second that. I'm writing as somebody who has been on a BA plane when there was a problem. A serious problem with an engine on a 747 flying TATL involving a lot of flame. I wasn't that concerned once they'd extinguished it because I knew that the flight deck crew were highly trained and professional. I was more concerned about the attitudes of my fellow passengers than I was about the crew who were calm and professional throughout.
Well said ... You dont pay pilots well for what they do every day you also pay them for what they CAN do when it goes pear shaped. I for one fly BA happily with the knowledge that if things go wrong the flight deck is fully capable and well trained to sort any problems better than anyone else.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:14 pm

Let me guess - you're cabin crew. Either way, perhaps you can point out exactly what I've said that is wrong. And if there is any ignorance, perhaps you'd be good enough to correct me. Ignorance is cured by education, so you must have the answers if you believe I'm wrong.
Guess away, but you’re wrong

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jul 5, 2019 at 6:26 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by cauchy
Don't give BA ideas - then they'll split the longhaul cabin crew into two. One cohort that's safety trained - with the legal minimum number being on each flight. And a second cohort -- that only serves food and cleans up after passengers (and don't need safety training). The latter might not need more than a week to train... and World Traveller might become a flying Wetherspoons. Be careful what you wish for!
i believe you’re describing the “hooters air” model
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by cauchy
(...) and World Traveller might become a flying Wetherspoons.
I've been calling Ryanair that for years!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:44 am

I think you have just upset all the cabin crew calling Waterhorse that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.