Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 23, 19, 8:25 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 dayís notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 1, 19, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post
So your modus operandi isn't to justify the action, it's to try and stiffle legitimate debate?

Lets be honest for a minute. If BALPA thought they had a strong and legitimate case they would be broadcasting it from the highest peak (as was the case with the MF dispute). The fact they are preventing people from finding out what the true dispute is about suggests that their cause is not an honourable one.
There is no stifling of debate. How many pages of debate are there on this forum?
lhrpete, Waterhorse and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
So your modus operandi isn't to justify the action, it's to try and stiffle legitimate debate?

Lets be honest for a minute. If BALPA thought they had a strong and legitimate case they would be broadcasting it from the highest peak (as was the case with the MF dispute). The fact they are preventing people from finding out what the true dispute is about suggests that their cause is not an honourable one.
There is no stifling of debate. How many pages of debate are there on this forum?
I am beginning to wonder whether Agent69's real complaint is actually that others know more than he does about the dispute.
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
To be fair those who have a genuine interest in knowing the historical background to the strikes, pay cuts over the years, what is wanted etc, don’t have to look that hard for a thread discussing exactly these things

it’s just not being discussed on here since most of the questions about it postdate BALPA asking their members to be mindful of social media exposure

I'm sorry but these are just vague words. There either is or is not a clear reason for the strike action. The general public do not care about the background. They will blame the strikers for their ruined plans. In order to win sympathy the reason for the action needs to be clearly explained. I understand that the pilots may not want to discuss the reason in detail on this forum but the Union could have been more forthcoming about their reasons. The general public are not on this forum, and whatever the background is it's still hard to decipher what is the real reason among many actions that BA took over the years.

To be honest, I am surprised that these industrial action threads are allowed here as they serve no purpose. They cannot be discussed fairly or constructively. It is almost expected to be sympathetic to the strikers. People will feel huge emotional attachment to the employees and their right to strike. Most people will be wary of saying what they actually think lest they should be told to shut up and disappear. Emotions are running high and we won't resolve anything anyway. I, personally, understand the existence of the thread where we discuss how to help disrupted passengers, but to discuss who is right or wrong serves no purpose. Unless one has the numbers and unless one understands both sides' reasoning one can only have an opinion based on one's emotions.
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post

The general public do not care about the background. They will blame the strikers for their ruined plans.
Speaking for myself as just one member of the general public I tend to blame poor management for ruined plans caused by strikes. If my own plans are ruined or upset due to industrial action I shall direct my disappointment towards those at the top of BA.
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by DrGee View Post
Speaking for myself as just one member of the general public I tend to blame poor management for ruined plans caused by strikes. If my own plans are ruined or upset due to industrial action I shall direct my disappointment towards those at the top of BA.
I think that the general public's perception of BA's management is already pretty low as a result of all the cuts and cock ups of the last couple of years. Not sure using the greedy pilots line is going to play this time. This isn't like the long string of Lufthansa pilot strikes a couple of years back whose demands were truly hard for the public to back. That being said Lufthansa lost most of my business because of the uncertainty and I only use them now a few times a year. If there continue to be more BA strike dates announced I certainly would have no problem going back to Star now that uncertainty is gone.
Silver Fox and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Either:
  • If BA are in breach of contract then take them to court.
  • Otherwise, (for example if you have simply become unhappy or dissillusioned with your job, or you think your pay pay has fallen behind) get a job with somebody else where you will be happier or richer

That's what people in the real world do.
Sadly, for most pilots, if they move employers they will be on the very bottom of the pay rung in their new airline, regardless of their position in their former employer, and most certainly at the bottom of the seniority pile. So it's not really an option.

It's easy to say 'move jobs' but it's nowhere near as simple as that. You might get a 30% pay cut when you move jobs, maybe more. Maybe you'd have to start as an FO again, moving from a Captain's position. Hence why the salary and career progression within one's own employer are pretty important to the pilot community. Without an organised workforce negotiating hard, there's no incentive whatsoever for a large airline to actually keep their salaries up with 'the market', because they know they have their pilots in a relatively 'captive' position (relative to other industries/careers)
Old Sep 1, 19, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard, M&S Sparks
Hi

I called BA as I am flying out on 25th Sept so wanted to ask if my flight is likely to be busier as a result of those changing plans for the 27th Sept strike.

The call centre agent said my flight (BA33 to KUL) is likely to be busier and there may be a chance of my flight being overbooked as a result.

However, he said as I am flying in J, I stand a better chance and will stand an even better chance if I book my seat in advance (which is 7 days in advance FOC as I am a mere Bronze and I don't fancy paying before that).

Should I be concerned? Should I pay for a seat in advance as per the call centre agent's suggestion?

Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
I have been severely disrupted by direct hits on all three strike dates. My current view of BA is not a positive one. Iíve found their effort deplorable in the lack of assistance in resolving the disruption (both actual and potential) they are causing me. As a result I am booking flights with other airlines because I am no longer confident in booking any BA flights until this dispute is fully resolved. I cannot afford the risk of suffering the level of disruption and uncertainty I am exposed to on these strike dates, especially given the inadequate level of assistance offered so far.

I have no view on the merits or otherwise of the dispute, it is none of my business. I blame both the airline and BALPA for this situation. My gripe however is with BA, and their current inflexible policy, who refuse to do the right thing with my potentially disrupted flights on 27 and 28 September until they are actually cancelled. This is after BA stranding me abroad for 3 days as a result of the strike on 10 September. BA have the ability to remove the uncertainty surrounding a time critical business trip in September but choose not to assist until such time a flight in the itinerary is actually cancelled. By the time that happens suitable alternatives may not be available.
Welcome to the real world. When the rest of us have delays, dirty cabins, Mis connects or other poor BA experiences everything is miraculously perfect for you in every aspect. Generally I am a big fan of BA but whilst not impacted by this strike I think they way they have handled it is appalling. Once a year flyers being out of pocket due to BA being stubborn.

Ar the end end of the day BA reap what they sow, the sad thing is who will be bearing the brunt of the costs of these strikes subsequently ?
Old Sep 1, 19, 11:35 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by adrianlondon View Post
Thanks
adrianlondon and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Originally Posted by Paren View Post
Hi

I called BA as I am flying out on 25th Sept so wanted to ask if my flight is likely to be busier as a result of those changing plans for the 27th Sept strike.

The call centre agent said my flight (BA33 to KUL) is likely to be busier and there may be a chance of my flight being overbooked as a result.

However, he said as I am flying in J, I stand a better chance and will stand an even better chance if I book my seat in advance (which is 7 days in advance FOC as I am a mere Bronze and I don't fancy paying before that).

Should I be concerned? Should I pay for a seat in advance as per the call centre agent's suggestion?

Thanks.
90% of these ďan agent told meĒ rumours are untrue and best ignored to avoid blood pressure issues.
Paren and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
With nothing booked for the first 4 months of 2020, and with BAEC Gold renewal already assured, we are certainly looking at other travel options. We want 2 trips, one s/h and one l/h.

After 8 May, we will see where things are,
I'm the same... Gold already banked with flights I have in September (none strike days), plus a US CW return late October which hopefully will escape strikes, drones, IT failures etc.... With that in mind I'm taking a stab at the Virgin status match with SH flights on SAS, AF, KLM and FlyBe all qualifying for FC miles and an Upper Class trip to Delhi as the qualifying flight to get to FC Gold.

I'm thinking that coming into 2020 with BA gold and FC gold will give me a good set of options, especially if the FlyBe absorbtion I to Virgin comes to something.

The backup plan and potential switch of loyalty isn't solely down to strikes, its a culmination of things on BA front but the strikes haven't helped.
nivsy, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 1:52 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
They will blame the strikers for their ruined plans. In order to win sympathy the reason for the action needs to be clearly explained.
You seem to have a very low opinion of the General Public. You seem to be believe they lack the intelligence to make up their own minds about the rights or wrongs of strike action.
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
With that in mind I'm taking a stab at the Virgin status match with SH flights on SAS, AF, KLM and FlyBe all qualifying for FC miles and an Upper Class trip to Delhi as the qualifying flight to get to FC Gold.
Thanks for the VS status match reminder!
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
You seem to have a very low opinion of the General Public. You seem to be believe they lack the intelligence to make up their own minds about the rights or wrongs of strike action.
OMG,
Now that is a somewhat sweeping statement. Look at Brexit!! 😆
Donsyb likes this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 11:00 pm

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by DrGee View Post
The threat today sees the Cruzbot resorting to meaningless measures as todayís Times says strikers travel benefits to be withdrawn. Looks both sides are far apart. Wonít this make more not less pilots join the action?

Search this Thread