Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by Agent69
But it's an inevitable consequence of their actions!

A bit like people who go on strike and say we had no other alternative. Yes you did, you could have gone to work.
That's what BA pilots have been doing for five years while BA management have made false promises and offered nothing.

What as opposed to striking would you suggest they do next and how much longer would you like them to wait and when do you think BA management will come round and offer something acceptable?

I'm sure BALPA will be glad of your wise counsel as you seem so opposed to their actions so presumably you have some excellent ideas that no one else has thought of.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I wonder just how much money and passenger goodwill BA is prepared to lose to make their point on this. We all know that it eventually has to be settled and they will have to concede more than they are offering now to get that done.
lhrpete, nivsy, T8191 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I wonder just how much money and passenger goodwill BA is prepared to lose to make their point on this. We all know that it eventually has to be settled and they will have to concede more than they are offering now to get that done.
They might be holding out and being tough on this in order to save money in the long term by discouraging strike action because they would then show it doesn't yield results.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Yep ... I keep getting VS and AA offers in my in-box (and AZ and QR, come to that).

Time to broaden our travel horizons, once we get (hopefully) back from IAD in a couple of weeks ... we are missing the published strike dates.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:32 pm

I think you are correct.

I previously pointed out that the lack of facts in the public domain prevented normal people taking a reasoned view on the dispute, and was abruptly told that If I wasn't involved in the dispute then it was none of my business
However much you bang on about this you are not getting anybody talking so just give up and stop trying to sow the seeds of dissent.
Globaliser, lhrpete, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

A bit like people who go on strike and say we had no other alternative. Yes you did, you could have gone to work.
Or a bit like certain companies who say “that’s our final offer” ...... even though - in the specific case of BA - they could a) have offered more, and b) will actually end up doing so.

No way we will see BA pilots returning to full / normal work rosters unless they receive a better settlement.

BA are only delaying the inevitable, and causing themselves, and their passengers, a lot of trouble and frustration in the meantime.

Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:53 pm

But it's an inevitable consequence of their actions!

And BA could have made a satisfactory offer.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
We shall see what the outcome is. I told the captain last night on my inbound from France that I was pretty pi**ed off and had even booked Air France for my next X2 to Paris. Simply, have business to attend to and cannot trust BA and really cannot be bothered with the hasle of dealing with called strike dates. For a 45 minute flight might just stick with AF if it works. I am sure others are doing the same for many destinations.
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by nivsy
We shall see what the outcome is. I told the captain last night on my inbound from France that I was pretty pi**ed off and had even booked Air France for my next X2 to Paris. Simply, have business to attend to and cannot trust BA and really cannot be bothered with the hasle of dealing with called strike dates. For a 45 minute flight might just stick with AF if it works. I am sure others are doing the same for many destinations.
You're avoiding strikes by moving business to Air France?

Interesting strategy. Look up their record before you spend too much money there.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by lhrpete
You're avoiding strikes by moving business to Air France?

Interesting strategy. Look up their record before you spend too much money there.
Not a strategy but currently more reliable. I know fine well AF background. I know also currently BA. Thank you for your wisdom though. .😒
Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
There’s two specific benefits (you could even say investments) to BA... First, they show you actually have to strike to get big demands, this quelling much future discontent before it happens as staff realise they actually have to go through with it. There’s some minor disruption along the way too, such as removing perks from those who do strike. And second, it opens the door to new contracts for new joiners as part of settlement for the oldies, freeing BA from the shackles in the way MF did from legacy crew contracts. BA aren’t stupid, there’s a reason they’re allowing the strike to go ahead.
Well, that and the fact no one - not even BALPA - can really explain what it is they actually want, other than shares, which it is not actually in BA’s power to give anyway.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Confus
There’s two specific benefits (you could even say investments) to BA... First, they show you actually have to strike to get big demands, this quelling much future discontent before it happens as staff realise they actually have to go through with it.
Or more likely the labour pool realizes that in order to get a serious offer from BA you need to go on strike. A strike then becomes part of the normal negotiating process, thus a strike becomes the first response not the last.I think that would cost BA a lot more then it would cost their employees, if the chaos we are seeing with rebooking happens with a simple threat of a strike.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Sailbot3310
If a flight is cancelled and reinstated with less than 14 days notice, does that make passengers who moved from 9th, to (say) 11th, and then back to 9th eligible for compensation?

Sorry if it's not entirely appropriate for this topic, just trying to better my understanding.
No compensation. Should the flights be reinstated you would have the choice to move back to your original flights, that would be a voluntary change and therefore outside the scope of EC261.
Sailbot3310 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by rapidex
However much you bang on about this you are not getting anybody talking so just give up and stop trying to sow the seeds of dissent.
I understand that being rude is par for the course for some posters here, but what 'seeds of dissent' are you trying to stop? And why? Isn't this a forum that welcomes everyone's opinion? Or is there an official party line now? Trying to shut someone up is a bit too much even for the usual militants here... Same as using ridiculous words as 'seeds of dissent.'

There is nothing wrong with wanting to know what this dispute is about in order to discuss it. Otherwise there is no point for this thread to exist.
EDIflyer and Grace B like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: QF WP
To be fair those who have a genuine interest in knowing the historical background to the strikes, pay cuts over the years, what is wanted etc, don’t have to look that hard for a thread discussing exactly these things

it’s just not being discussed on here since most of the questions about it postdate BALPA asking their members to be mindful of social media exposure

of course it could be that people have no interest in the facts and are just trolling. But how can we possibly make a fair assessment of that.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.