FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1973603-lhr-lgw-pilots-balpa-industrial-action-9-sep-10-sep-27-sep.html)

Tiger_lily Aug 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by DFB_london (Post 31455497)

Anything is possible, or worse they may have used a dated html format some more sophisticated email accounts block as it looks like a Nigerian phishing email...

You can just imagine it...

Dear sirs

My Spanish cousin has recently acquired $20 million and wishes to share his good fortune with you.

Please send us your our bank account details

😂

OnceCrew Aug 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 31454571)
A gem of a post in any circumstances - but considering it’s your first ...... :cool:

(You may have understood from our email sent last week that our ‘final offer’ could be construed as a ‘final offer’. This was in fact sent in error, and we now wish to make it clear that ........)

Many thanks, although now I'm worried I may have set myself up for failure with any future posts :D

It's just such a shame to see a difficult situation handled so very poorly, causing much extra totally unnecessary stress and upset for so many, whether they are ultimately affected by a cancelled flight or not. Even in less troubled times, the disconnect between the image promoted and the service the staff are enabled/permitted to deliver just grows wider and wider.

star_crazy Aug 25, 2019 3:47 pm

Nice to see that BA have put up fares to the maximum on the days next to the strike (or at least let their demand algorithm run riot)

What a shoddy airline it sadly is now with a one trick pony, cost cutting [individual] in charge combined with greedy and inconsiderate pilots and generally demoralised staff across the organisation

hearingdouble Aug 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 31454571)

(You may have understood from our email sent last week that our ‘final offer’ could be construed as a ‘final offer’. This was in fact sent in error, and we now wish to make it clear that ........)

Surely we all know that BA would never acknowledge the word ‘error’...

Following the announcement that the pilots’ union BALPA has issued dates for industrial action, we’ve been reviewing our group remuneration policies.

We contacted you last week to advise you that our previous offer was a final offer. We’re pleased to update you that, as part of our £6.5 billion investment for customers, our offer has increased and that your demands will now be fulfilled as originally requested.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience this temporary offer may have caused you, and we look forward to your ongoing employment.

nancypants Aug 25, 2019 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by star_crazy (Post 31455867)
Nice to see that BA have put up fares to the maximum on the days next to the strike (or at least let their demand algorithm run riot)

What a shoddy airline it sadly is now with a one trick pony, cost cutting [individual] in charge combined with greedy and inconsiderate pilots and generally demoralised staff across the organisation

the fish rots from the head down, unfortunately

Globaliser Aug 26, 2019 5:23 am

Originally Posted by star_crazy (Post 31455867)
Nice to see that BA have put up fares to the maximum on the days next to the strike ...

So as to protect space for those who need to be reaccommodated because their flights aren't operating. You would have a different perspective on this if you tried to think about it from someone else's viewpoint.

Of course, BA is used to the maxim that no good deed goes unpunished.

cauchy Aug 26, 2019 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31457417)
So as to protect space for those who need to be reaccommodated because their flights aren't operating. You would have a different perspective on this if you tried to think about it from someone else's viewpoint.

Or alternatively, someone might think "BA doesn't answer the phone to rebook me and instead it wants to get £600 from a new sale instead" (or someone disrupted who panics and buys a new ticket online, thinking it'll all be refunded). I don't think this is entirely fair, but I can see people taking this view.

Or the other place where it plays out is if someone is initially rebooked 2 days after the strike, but a seat becomes available 1 day earlier, and BA refuses to budge on their one-rebooking-only rule. Then it looks like profiteering.

northeastflyer Aug 26, 2019 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31457417)

If BA wanted to truly protect space, they wouldn't be selling seats on these flights. Yes it does loosely protect in a roundabout way, but only because the majority of people won't pay the high fare, but also let's face it, it's fairly obvious that it's about making money.

alexwuk Aug 26, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer (Post 31458160)
If BA wanted to truly protect space, they wouldn't be selling seats on these flights. Yes it does loosely protect in a roundabout way, but only because the majority of people won't pay the high fare, but also let's face it, it's fairly obvious that it's about making money.

No, it's not. If they make these "Adjacent flights" unavailable for booking in any fare class then people can't be rebooked on to them using BA.com or the phone staff if their originally booked flights end up being cancelled. By using the combination of (1) only offering full fare seats on Adjacent flights and (2) allowing anyone on cancelled flights to rebook into full fare booking classes they maximise the possibility of reaccomodating passengers on to the flights they want.

The only other alternative would be to stop selling tickets on Adjacent flights and then forcibly rebook passengers on to those Adjacent flights, even if they aren't convenient. This is the best mix of preserving seats and offering cancelled passengers a degree of choice.

Ancient Observer Aug 26, 2019 11:21 am

I really like these "error" e-mails from BA to BALPA.
Maybe the BAEC Forum needs a "Jet Blast" type of thread..............

Globaliser Aug 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by northeastflyer (Post 31458160)

I often wonder why people see the world in such a binary black-and-white way.

By restricting availability to the full-fare booking classes, BA is protecting space for those who need to rebook because BA won't take the raft of reservations in discount classes that might otherwise have come its way. BA clearly doesn't think that it will need every last bit of space on every flight on adjacent dates - for example, many displaced passengers won't want to travel on an adjacent day and will have to be booked on another airline on a strike day; and some will just cancel their trips. In the meantime, the world continues to turn, and people continue to have important reasons for making new travel bookings even on adjacent days. Why can't BA manage the increased but not overwhelming demand for flights on adjacent dates in exactly the same way that it does (without complaint from the outside world) on any other high-demand flight or date? That appears to be what it's doing.

The way this discussion goes, anyone would think that BA is only allowed to do one thing or the other, and not both at once.

highexpectations Aug 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Flights been removed from BA.com for 26/27/28th.

KeaneJohn Aug 26, 2019 6:39 pm

FWIW I think BALPA have played a blinder here, there could have been total carnage this weekend with the bank holiday and Centenary celebrations.

After BALPA initially getting a bit of grief now the heat and angst is firmly directed back at BA due to the erroneous emails concerning the cancellation of flights that weren’t.

Again i I do feel sorry for anybody affected. One of my friends got the cancellation email, booked alternatives at a cost of £265 more as he couldn’t get through and was travelling for a specific purpose only to get the we sent this to you in error.

I’d hope people can hold BA accountable for loses even if they cancelled as a result of the email sent in error..

Just think those PPI cold callers are out of a job in 3 days..

AJA_ Aug 27, 2019 1:56 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn (Post 31460039)

Just think those PPI cold callers are out of a job in 3 days..

Oh please no don't suggest that! We would never hear the end of it. Plus I don't want any more adverts with Arnie saying "I'm coming to get you" unless he's saying it to WW and Senor Cruz.

UKtravelbear Aug 27, 2019 3:03 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn (Post 31460039)

I’d hope people can hold BA accountable for loses even if they cancelled as a result of the email sent in error..

I see a Transport Select committee hearing into BAs handling of this happening and it won’t be pretty for BA. They won’t be able to hide and will have to provide answers and obfuscating and platitudes won’t be an option.

IIRC the report after the T5 opening debacle wasn’t very pretty.