Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do all domestic flights arrive T5A

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Do all domestic flights arrive T5A

Never really thought about this before, but I guess they do? My inbound flight today is a domestic so would be great to know I don’t have to head over to a satellite. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, in a sense, namely that you have to exit via the Domestic Arrival wing at the north end of T5A, either to UK Flight Connections or landside. Otherwise the UK Border would be in the way.

If you actually end up somewhere else in the LHR complex, you will be bussed to that section of T5A. Fairly rare for that to happen, I'd guess a 5% or less chance, though of course it will typically be the day you'd really appreciate arriving at gate 3.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, in a sense, namely that you have to exit via the Domestic Arrival wing at the north end of T5A, either to UK Flight Connections or landside. Otherwise the UK Border would be in the way.

If you actually end up somewhere else in the LHR complex, you will be bussed to that section of T5A. Fairly rare for that to happen, I'd guess a 5% or less chance, though of course it will typically be the day you'd really appreciate arriving at gate 3.
Thanks. To clarify I am actually flying to FCO but the plane is arriving from GLA. Hoping it is nice and simple T5A.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by aristoph

Thanks. To clarify I am actually flying to FCO but the plane is arriving from GLA. Hoping it is nice and simple T5A.
Mostly that should be OK and it would probably be a T5A gate in North arrival, and a T5A gate in South departing. But FCO does go from T5B fairly often, particularly if there are a lot of connecting passengers from longhaul services. Still if you were Silver that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing in terms of the lounge. On arrival just follow the T5 Connection sign - don't go landside (Baggage Reclaim), don't go Flight Connections T2 - T4. which at least a few people do by mistake every day. It's a very easy scan of boarding pass, up the escalators into the main departure hall, no further security check.

If you are given a bus to T5A, then you have to go up the stairs or lift one level to get to the same point, don't go through the glass barriers to landside.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
high chance of gate 1 to 7
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Mostly that should be OK and it would probably be a T5A gate in North arrival, and a T5A gate in South departing. But FCO does go from T5B fairly often, particularly if there are a lot of connecting passengers from longhaul services. Still if you were Silver that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing in terms of the lounge. On arrival just follow the T5 Connection sign - don't go landside (Baggage Reclaim), don't go Flight Connections T2 - T4. which at least a few people do by mistake every day. It's a very easy scan of boarding pass, up the escalators into the main departure hall, no further security check.

If you are given a bus to T5A, then you have to go up the stairs or lift one level to get to the same point, don't go through the glass barriers to landside.
I am not on the inbound from GLA, just flying LHR-FCO. Sorry for the confusion!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Domestic flights will arrive at gates A1-A3, and A5-A8. These are the only gates which have a route for UK arrivals to the domestic baggage hall, and these gates are all arranged around the north end of T5A.

Any arriving domestic flight not parking at one of these gates would have to be bussed regardless of whether the aircraft parked on a remote stand or one with a jet bridge. Most of the time this would mean arriving at a remote stand, but occasionally a domestic flight could arrive at A9-A23 or a B/C gate, and even though there is a working jet bridge all passengers would have to be bussed to the T5A UK arrivals entrance. This entrance for bussed domestic arrivals is on the ground floor on the north side of T5A below the jet bridge for A2.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Flight pulled onto A2 so very nice and easy from Galleries North.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: BA silver,
Originally Posted by KARFA
Domestic flights will arrive at gates A1-A3, and A5-A8. These are the only gates which have a route for UK arrivals to the domestic baggage hall, and these gates are all arranged around the north end of T5A.
last year arrived at south end of T5A from Belfast at ,I think, gate A23. Ground staff then opened up a glass door leading to a passageway behind passport control and we exited through the main baggage hall . Don’t know whether this was the only south end gate that removes need for bussing.

A2.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
As others have mentioned (and I know the OP has now landed so this isn't directly relevant!), most of the time flights kick you out at low-numbered A gates, but I have been bussed a few times when landing from MAN, especially on the last flight in.

3 of those times in the last 18 months, the configuration of the arriving gate (or the actual gate itself) has then deposited some or most of the passengers into International Arrivals. Twice the ground crew noticed and tried to capture the passengers before they arrived at passport control, and once the whole plane arrived at passport control, many of whom of course didn't have passports. It shouldn't happen, but it does
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by rjhcambs
last year arrived at south end of T5A from Belfast at ,I think, gate A23. Ground staff then opened up a glass door leading to a passageway behind passport control and we exited through the main baggage hall . Don’t know whether this was the only south end gate that removes need for bussing.
did you arrive from DUB rather than BHD? The corridor from A23 is not for domestic arrivals.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:57 am

Unless I am much mistaken, this wasn't a question about Domestic arrival procedure, the OP was simply travelling from LHR to FCO, was ensconced in North GC, had asked about their aircraft, and was told, presumably by the lounge agent or perhaps Flightradar24, "oh it is coming from Glasgow". He then wanted to know where that service would end up, so as to ensure he wasn't in the wrong part of the building for his Roman flight.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
bit OT, but I was talking to a friend about the old "Tiger Jump", strictly speaking because UK and IE are in a common travel area, you don't need a visa to go between them, but good luck explaining this at the border, so people requiring a UK visa and not having one used to drive up to belfast and then fly to a domestic terminal, and same the other way around, fly into belfast and go wherever you want. I've heard stories of passport checks on the road for coaches etc but I haven't traveled up north that much so wouldn't know.

Has this been fixed? are belfast/gibraltar/etc still domestic arrivals?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Unless I am much mistaken, this wasn't a question about Domestic arrival procedure, the OP was simply travelling from LHR to FCO, was ensconced in North GC, had asked about their flight and was told "oh it is coming from Glasgow". He then wanted to know where that service would end up, so as to ensure he wasn't in the wrong part of the building for his Roman flight.
It took me a while to come to that conclusion... I was getting quite confused
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by W213Sal
bit OT, but I was talking to a friend about the old "Tiger Jump", strictly speaking because UK and IE are in a common travel area, you don't need a visa to go between them, but good luck explaining this at the border, so people requiring a UK visa and not having one used to drive up to belfast and then fly to a domestic terminal, and same the other way around, fly into belfast and go wherever you want. I've heard stories of passport checks on the road for coaches etc but I haven't traveled up north that much so wouldn't know.

Has this been fixed? are belfast/gibraltar/etc still domestic arrivals?
BHD is a domestic arrival with no immigration, exactly the same as any other BA domestic flight.

GIB is an international arrival with normal immigration on arrival in T3.

DUB has no immigration on arrival in to T5, you exit via a corridor opposite A23 bypassing immigration which takes you through to the international baggage hall and out through customs.
W213Sal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.