Why am I not tempted by a £300 upgrade to CW?

Old Jun 11, 19, 3:24 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Posts: 439
Why am I not tempted by a £300 upgrade to CW?

Flying to Accra on Friday in WTP and BA offering a POUG of £300. Returning on Sunday the POUG is £480.
Whether it is the relatively short flight or possibly old planes, I am not even tempted to upgrade! (I can afford it too)
What should I consider as to whether I should give upgrade?
IntVic is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:27 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 924
Are you chasing TPs for any reason?

If not, and you're happy in WTP then you can safely ignore it.
orbitmic likes this.
bhbloke is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:42 am
  #3  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 41,671
Yes, if you were time constrained, the additional TPs and Avios is worth about £100 to £150 in terms of alternative arrangements to give similar extra TPs and Avios. Then I guess you add a bit for the seat and food.

If the overnight return was nearer £300 it may be more interesting, otherwise it's a relatively cheap way to get into CW, globally, accepting that the distance to/from Accra is shorter than even Boston.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Jun 11, 19, 4:20 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Posts: 439
Originally Posted by bhbloke View Post
Are you chasing TPs for any reason?

If not, and you're happy in WTP then you can safely ignore it.
Not chasing TPs so not bothered. Should hit Gold for the first time this year with trips already planned.
IntVic is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 4:21 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Posts: 439
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
.....
If the overnight return was nearer £300 it may be more interesting, otherwise it's a relatively cheap way to get into CW, globally, accepting that the distance to/from Accra is shorter than even Boston.
Agreed... if the price for return drops, I will go for it, but otherwise, I can sleep happily in WTP.
IntVic is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 4:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 887
I guess this would help you hit gold earlier and get the benefits on some of the flights you have lined up. Maybe do the Maths and see if it would make much difference - although to be fair the benefits aren't massive - First Wing (at LHR), First Lounge, the ability to book row 1 and extra Avios on flights
cosmo74 is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 4:44 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Posts: 439
Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
I guess this would help you hit gold earlier and get the benefits on some of the flights you have lined up. Maybe do the Maths and see if it would make much difference - although to be fair the benefits aren't massive - First Wing (at LHR), First Lounge, the ability to book row 1 and extra Avios on flights
That's true. In my case, whether I upgrade or not, I will still only hit Gold when I land in SYD for my next trip at the end of June.

Last edited by IntVic; Jun 11, 19 at 4:45 am Reason: grammar
IntVic is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 4:45 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,644
I would spend some time contemplating the futility of existence, how long you are going to be dead for and how your kids will p*ss away that £300 if you don’t spend it first.
Raffles is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 4:59 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 682
Originally Posted by IntVic View Post
Not chasing TPs so not bothered. Should hit Gold for the first time this year with trips already planned.
If you are going to hit gold this year, then this upgrade should mean you hit it sooner. Meaning more flights that earn 100% extra instead of 50%. And more flights where you can use first lounges and the first security at T5.

And more flights where you may get a special hello on the plane!
kingcole974 is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 5:09 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Posts: 6,551
Originally Posted by IntVic View Post
Flying to Accra on Friday in WTP and BA offering a POUG of £300. Returning on Sunday the POUG is £480.
Whether it is the relatively short flight or possibly old planes, I am not even tempted to upgrade! (I can afford it too)
What should I consider as to whether I should give upgrade?
WT+ is perfectly acceptable for such a short flight, unless you think you really need the bed, thereís much better things to spend 300 quid on
Cap'n Benj is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 5:59 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 500
On the other hand, the price premium at time of purchasing is usually 2x to jump to CW so the price is actually reasonable in some sense. Also agree that such a short flight probably doesnít warrant CW especially during the daytime. At night, one might argue to do CW. Minus ~125 for tier points, paying a 175 premium for a flat bed isnít all that bad.
footballfanatic is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:13 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,242
@ IntVic : youíre not tempted because

a) itís a short sector (blocked at 6:35, but mostly only 6 hours actual flying time)
b) your WTP seat will be comfortable enough for a daytime flight
c) that extra £300 will go a long way on other fripperies of life
subject2load is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 11:54 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,618
Originally Posted by IntVic View Post
Agreed... if the price for return drops, I will go for it, but otherwise, I can sleep happily in WTP.
There's the difference. If you had difficulty sleeping in WTP maybe you would have been tempted
Gig103 is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 12:32 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TLV/LHR
Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,801
Why is sleep a factor on a day time flight?
clubman is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 1:19 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 230
So I am reading the news and checking who is the most likely person to be our next prime minister.

I would say it is fine for you to spend that £300 now rather than save it for later.
EDIwanderer likes this.
let_BAegones_be is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: