Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why am I not tempted by a £300 upgrade to CW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald

Flying to Accra on Friday in WTP and BA offering a POUG of £300. Returning on Sunday the POUG is £480.
Whether it is the relatively short flight or possibly old planes, I am not even tempted to upgrade! (I can afford it too)
What should I consider as to whether I should give upgrade?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Are you chasing TPs for any reason?

If not, and you're happy in WTP then you can safely ignore it.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, if you were time constrained, the additional TPs and Avios is worth about £100 to £150 in terms of alternative arrangements to give similar extra TPs and Avios. Then I guess you add a bit for the seat and food.

If the overnight return was nearer £300 it may be more interesting, otherwise it's a relatively cheap way to get into CW, globally, accepting that the distance to/from Accra is shorter than even Boston.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Are you chasing TPs for any reason?

If not, and you're happy in WTP then you can safely ignore it.
Not chasing TPs so not bothered. Should hit Gold for the first time this year with trips already planned.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the overnight return was nearer £300 it may be more interesting, otherwise it's a relatively cheap way to get into CW, globally, accepting that the distance to/from Accra is shorter than even Boston.
Agreed... if the price for return drops, I will go for it, but otherwise, I can sleep happily in WTP.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
I guess this would help you hit gold earlier and get the benefits on some of the flights you have lined up. Maybe do the Maths and see if it would make much difference - although to be fair the benefits aren't massive - First Wing (at LHR), First Lounge, the ability to book row 1 and extra Avios on flights
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cosmo74
I guess this would help you hit gold earlier and get the benefits on some of the flights you have lined up. Maybe do the Maths and see if it would make much difference - although to be fair the benefits aren't massive - First Wing (at LHR), First Lounge, the ability to book row 1 and extra Avios on flights
That's true. In my case, whether I upgrade or not, I will still only hit Gold when I land in SYD for my next trip at the end of June.

Last edited by IntVic; Jun 11, 2019 at 3:45 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I would spend some time contemplating the futility of existence, how long you are going to be dead for and how your kids will p*ss away that £300 if you don’t spend it first.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by IntVic
Not chasing TPs so not bothered. Should hit Gold for the first time this year with trips already planned.
If you are going to hit gold this year, then this upgrade should mean you hit it sooner. Meaning more flights that earn 100% extra instead of 50%. And more flights where you can use first lounges and the first security at T5.

And more flights where you may get a special hello on the plane!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Flying to Accra on Friday in WTP and BA offering a POUG of £300. Returning on Sunday the POUG is £480.
Whether it is the relatively short flight or possibly old planes, I am not even tempted to upgrade! (I can afford it too)
What should I consider as to whether I should give upgrade?
WT+ is perfectly acceptable for such a short flight, unless you think you really need the bed, there’s much better things to spend 300 quid on
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:59 am

On the other hand, the price premium at time of purchasing is usually 2x to jump to CW so the price is actually reasonable in some sense. Also agree that such a short flight probably doesn’t warrant CW especially during the daytime. At night, one might argue to do CW. Minus ~125 for tier points, paying a 175 premium for a flat bed isn’t all that bad.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ IntVic : you’re not tempted because

a) it’s a short sector (blocked at 6:35, but mostly only 6 hours actual flying time)
b) your WTP seat will be comfortable enough for a daytime flight
c) that extra £300 will go a long way on other fripperies of life
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Agreed... if the price for return drops, I will go for it, but otherwise, I can sleep happily in WTP.
There's the difference. If you had difficulty sleeping in WTP maybe you would have been tempted
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Why is sleep a factor on a day time flight?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:19 pm

So I am reading the news and checking who is the most likely person to be our next prime minister.

I would say it is fine for you to spend that £300 now rather than save it for later.
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.