LCY to ? Birthday Surprise

Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:21 am

Consider Rotterdam. Airport is easy to navigate and 15 minutes from town by Taxi. Compact city with several great museums, architecture, and some very good food. Highly underrated. Taxi to Delft is also a short 15 minute hop from the airport.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Rotterdam definitely not a bad idea as the airport is a comparable size to LCY, so you don’t lose precious time getting in and out.

When I commute to Noordwijk, I generally prefer RTM to AMS for precisely this reason, even though AMS is about 10 km closer.

In fact if the weather is good, you could consider going to Noordwijk, it’s a toned down Dutch version of Brighton, with plenty of mid range independent bars and restaurants.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended

I
Originally Posted by vfw614
.....One other aspect you should consider is that most BA aircraft do not overnight at LCY, so the first outbound flights to most destinations are somewhat later in the morning....
First flight tomorrow is 6.45 to DUB, then 6.50 to LIN, there’s also 7.00 to ZRH, 7.10 to GVA, 7.30 to DUS, 7.35 to RTM. That’s at least six destinations before 8am.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jun 11, 2019 at 11:38 am
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I've done a day trip to Amsterdam for leisure from LCY before, but not with a 70 year old in tow. How mobile are they and the rest of the crowd?

If they are, then Amsterdam has several flights a day. You can leave at 7.55 (arr 10) or 8.35 (arr 10.45) and come back 18.25 or 19.55. That gives you plenty of time to get around.

Once exiting the airport baggage hall, the station is in the terminal. Buy return tickets to Centraal Station. IT only takes about 15 minutes if you get one of the express trains or 25 if you don't.

I would walk down Dam Rak from the station, towards the Royal Palace / Dam. Cross the road and you'll see the start of Kalverstraat. It's a shopping street, but work your way to the top until you see a little shopping centre with a HEMA department store. Go into the centre (not the HEMA, although they do good sausage rolls!) and you'll see an glass elevator to the top of the building. There is a restaurant called Blue up there that does moderately priced food and a mix of western and Dutch meals, like bitterballen. Apart from the food, there is a view across Amsterdam central.

Once refreshed, come down and keep going up the Kalverstraat a very short distance and you will find the Flower Market nearby.

If you buy a travelcard, you can avoid walking up Dam Rak (admittedly so touristy, the city council is cracking down on tourist tat shops) and take a tram to the flower market and then go to Blue. You can then use it to travel around the centre on the trams and busses which have audio and visual signs in English announcing next stops.

I would avoid doing Anne Frank's house unless you pre-book an allocated slot. I can't recall the stair content in it, but it's been a couple of decades since I've been and I think it's been redone a bit since then. The Rijksmuseum may be a better way to spend some time/money (particularly if wet) so you can break up for an hour or two and then meet up again after.

There are several nice gardens in area, and walking in the Jordan and area of 6/7 streets off the Singel (can't recall the official name for the area) is a good way to see some of the sights, depending on group mobility.

Trains back to Schipol are fairly regular, but do check times beforehand and don't leave it to the last train to allow for any delays. I've been going for 27 years and I've only had a couple of incidents of delayed trains. Invariably it will happen when you least can afford the delay!
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by cosmo74
I hope you're not planning this for a weekend, as the airport is closed from 13.00 on Saturday to 12.30 on Sunday, although if you live locally i assume you know this.

I think you'll be quite limited by flight timings - there aren't many destinations with more than one flight from LCY a day that fit your criteria so flight times will be key as you'll need a return flight back that's late enough to allow you to have a decent lunch. If there's a particular day you are planning, sharing that will help people with narrowing down your options.

Have you also considered Eurostar to Brussels or Paris? Longer journey time but you'll end up in the centre of each city.
There are plenty of destinations with multiple daily flights - frequency is important on business routes: (freq. depends on day but at most frequent) EDI (9), DUB (6), AMS (5), DUS (4), RTM (7), TXL (3), FRA (5), MUC (3), ZRH (5) all have decent flights to allow day trips. If it doesn't need to be BA you can also try Luxair to LUX (7 daily I think).
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:12 pm

If you’re prepared to fly TAP, LCY-LIS is a good option.

Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
But that's well over 90 mins flying time, which OP doesn't want.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by taxloop
OH 70th birthday next March and I am planning on a day trip from London City (LCY) for a total of 10 people. Has to be LCY as its very local to all 5 couples and its just a day trip. Flight ideally under 90 mins. Would prefer BA (but would consider other airlines).

Any suggestions and if possible a great restaurant recommendation with the destination for lunch. Was thinking of Dublin. I have Avios and Amex Reward if needed) but happy to pay cash.

Also, if I book BA my wife will see the booking on her BA account. Is there any way to avoid this?

Thanks
Howard
Anywhere but Dublin!

Edinburgh is amazing and I would also recommend Amsterdam/Rotterdam getting from both airports to the city is easy.

I take it Flybe is out of the question? Belfast is fantastic for a day trip.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:01 pm

Personally I'd second those which said one of the Swiss cities. Sure, March might be a bit chilly (but possibly also decent weather at 15-20C if lucky) but there are not much (if any) cities within 90min of flight time that give a good chance of fine weather in March. Nice might be slightly nicer, but ground transport there into the city will have to be taxis, while in ZRH and GVA, the excellent public transport might be a better choice - especially if you'd like to do a bit of sightseeing and possibly not spending the whole day completely together. In terms of languages spoken, probably all bigger cities will be fine (since I doubt you'll head for very local places) with the Netherlands and Switzerland probably being the best choices (besides Ireland, obviously - and Sweden. But Sweden in March? Maybe not..)

Food wise, Switzerland obviously will be more expensive, but assuming money isn't really of much importance, it will hardly make a difference and both GVA as well as ZRH have excellent restaurants. GVA probably being more high class (French style), while ZRH has a wide area of international offers. Berlin, while I enjoy it, can have very grumpy restaurant staff (so called "Berliner Schnauze") and I'd say on average in March has worse weather than GVA/ZRH. And BER really tries hard to please a younger crowd - in my opinion their offer is slightly less for your kind of age group. Even I feel too old for BER sometimes

Now, AMS might be a good choice too. Short'ish flight (maybe even too short?), and you could take the train into the city. But the Dutch food isn't really known to be world famous, so I'm not so sure you can feed yourself on Bitterballen, patat speciaal and broodje haring There is always the FEBO store, though

All in all, it really comes down to what your exact program will be, besides food.

Best chance for reasonable weather? NCE, GVA, ZRH, in that order (or maybe Northern Italy, if that's not too far for you)

Interesting city to do some sightseeing besides the food? CDG, BER, AMS, ZRH, GVA..

Food as the main decider? France > Italy > Switzerland >> Germany >>> Netherlands

A decent airport even for Y pax? ZRH, TXL (at least it's fast/tiny), NCE (small and efficent usually)
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Nice might be slightly nicer, but ground transport there into the city will have to be taxis
Why? NCE now has direct tramways every 3-4 minutes from the airport all the way to place Massena and from the start of September all the way to the harbour literally getting you to every possible part of the city centre seamlessly. Grand cost of €1/person each way as long as you buy 10 trip cards (which can be used by multiple users simultaneously).
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Why? NCE now has direct tramways every 3-4 minutes from the airport all the way to place Massena and from the start of September all the way to the harbour literally getting you to every possible part of the city centre seamlessly. Grand cost of €1/person each way as long as you buy 10 trip cards (which can be used by multiple users simultaneously).
Oh boy, sorry! Been a few years since I was there last time, and back then it was some bus system that I never really figured out. And considered it being France they'll never build something quick. Mea culpa.

NCE for the win then (honestly, unless you want a very interesting city), NCE will probably be the best option for tasty food, reasonable weather, a not too bad airport and apparently now easy transportation to and from the city
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Oh boy, sorry! Been a few years since I was there last time, and back then it was some bus system that I never really figured out. And considered it being France they'll never build something quick.
Ahah no problem. To be honest, compared to Crossrail, HS2, and no doubt the LHR third runway, public work in Nice is usually achieved at Concorde speed. It's a wealthy city so whilst the new tramway line is underground throughout the city centre it has been completed pretty quickly, and a there are municipal elections coming up next year, that always speeds public work up! And yes it is much more convenient than the buses.
Flying Yazata likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 11, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by dddc
I would avoid doing Anne Frank's house
is all that needs to be said.

It's an empty, intensely depressing house and unless you want spend all day with the Holocaust in the forefront of your mind, best avoided.

Done it once with the then-girlfriend, never going back.

I can't think of a worse place to go for a 70th birthday that is on a flight from LCY. Go somewhere else, anywhere else.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:06 pm

NCE does not allow day returns from LCY, so its pro and cons are a somewhat moot point.

I find the food discussion a little bit clichéd. There are excellent food options in Germany and the Netherlands. Düsseldorf alone has 10 restaurants with a Michelin star rating, including excellent Japanese food as the city is the Japanese foothold on the continent.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
is all that needs to be said.

It's an empty, intensely depressing house and unless you want spend all day with the Holocaust in the forefront of your mind, best avoided.

Done it once with the then-girlfriend, never going back.

I can't think of a worse place to go for a 70th birthday that is on a flight from LCY. Go somewhere else, anywhere else.
But there is more to Amsterdam than that...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.