Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY to ? Birthday Surprise

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:22 am
Original Poster

LCY to ? Birthday Surprise

OH 70th birthday next March and I am planning on a day trip from London City (LCY) for a total of 10 people. Has to be LCY as its very local to all 5 couples and its just a day trip. Flight ideally under 90 mins. Would prefer BA (but would consider other airlines).

Any suggestions and if possible a great restaurant recommendation with the destination for lunch. Was thinking of Dublin. I have Avios and Amex Reward if needed) but happy to pay cash.

Also, if I book BA my wife will see the booking on her BA account. Is there any way to avoid this?

Thanks
Howard
Agneisse likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Also consider Amsterdam, Geneva and Edinburgh as pleasant places for a daytrip, all well-served from LCY
Don't add your wife's number to the booking - you can autoclaim Avios/TPs on the website retrospectively with the ticket number
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
So essentially you need flights from LCY that go in the morning and then there is a different flight back in the afternoon.

Using google flights, this gives you options of Nice, Berlin, Edinburgh, Dublin, Amsterdam, Zurich or Rotterdam, all have 2 or more BA CityFlyer flights a day
deeruck, george77300 and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by navylad
So essentially you need flights from LCY that go in the morning and then there is a different flight back in the afternoon.

Using google flights, this gives you options of Nice, Berlin, Edinburgh, Dublin, Amsterdam, Zurich or Rotterdam, all have 2 or more BA CityFlyer flights a day
Berlin has the advantage that the airport is in the city and you dont lose any time in transit. also youre in the cab / bus 50 to 60 seconds after passport controll
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Nephoi
Berlin has the advantage that the airport is in the city and you dont lose any time in transit. also youre in the cab / bus 50 to 60 seconds after passport controll
That would actually be even truer of NCE than of TXL - though in march you'll likely only have one flight a day from LCY. ZRH is also very close by train. Personally, if you get times you want, I'd do NCE (but i'm biased): quick flight, high likelihood of great weather, lunch on a beach, or at la Reserve (posh but magnificent) or the Saint Paul across the street (simpler and much cheaper and also gorgeous views though less wow-factor), nice walk by the sea or in the old town.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:40 am
Suspended

I think NCE would be good. GVA and ZRH if you don’t mind it chilly.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a really good option here:

Linate.

There is a 09:40 departure from LCY, gets to Milan at 12:40. With a bit of luck and a fast taxi (one of those is the default.....) you can be in any of hundreds of good restaurants by 13:15 hrs, and the Milanese are pretty slick at serving food and drink quickly.

Then returning you have the 16:50 which gets you to LCY at a civilised 17:45. So you could leave the restaurant around 15:30 or a bit later. I have a feeling it's BA's slowest back to back service too.

The way the fares work means that if you are ok to return to LHR then you have the options for an even more leisurely lunch.
alex67500 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
I hope you're not planning this for a weekend, as the airport is closed from 13.00 on Saturday to 12.30 on Sunday, although if you live locally i assume you know this.

I think you'll be quite limited by flight timings - there aren't many destinations with more than one flight from LCY a day that fit your criteria so flight times will be key as you'll need a return flight back that's late enough to allow you to have a decent lunch. If there's a particular day you are planning, sharing that will help people with narrowing down your options.

Have you also considered Eurostar to Brussels or Paris? Longer journey time but you'll end up in the centre of each city.
orbitmic and pbdj11 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
I hope you're not planning this for a weekend, as the airport is closed from 13.00 on Saturday to 12.30 on Sunday, although if you live locally i assume you know this.

I think you'll be quite limited by flight timings - there aren't many destinations with more than one flight from LCY a day that fit your criteria so flight times will be key as you'll need a return flight back that's late enough to allow you to have a decent lunch. If there's a particular day you are planning, sharing that will help people with narrowing down your options.

Have you also considered Eurostar to Brussels or Paris? Longer journey time but you'll end up in the centre of each city.
this makes far more sense
Sealink and pbdj11 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
And you could get LCY VIP treatment for Ł95pp for a birthday treat!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Depending on budget (!) I discovered that Sun-Air, who operate a number of BA services, also operate charters through JoinJet . You could get a charter flight from City Airport to wherever you like, have a quick lunch and then head back home.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Does your budget stretch to CE for them all?

If so you could aim for an early flight out with breakfast, lunch at the destination, and dinner on the way back. Trebles all round!

Amsterdam would work for this, at the disadvantage of a very short flight to enjoy CE in.

Last edited by flatlander; Jun 11, 2019 at 7:18 am
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: BA
I may be biased but Edinburgh has the advantage of a number of flight options and now a direct tram service into the centre. Even if the weather isn’t the best you wouldn’t get wet until you left the tram in the centre and somewhere like the Balmoral which is close to a tram stop would offer some nice food options.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
For 10 people you probably need to speak to BA groups, gives you a bit of flexibility with paying, final names and balances I think.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:02 am

I would not consider Berlin for a day trip. While TXL airport is reasonably close to the city (although keep in mind that Berlin very stretched out), access is only by coach/cab and traffic in the afternoon can be bad and security has become a big problem at TXL in the past year.

How about considering the not so obvious destinations, i.e. Rotterdam or Dusseldorf. To both destinations, you will not waste too much time on flying.

Dusseldorf airport is a quick 12 minute train ride into town. Most attractions are within easy walking distance, it has good shopping, art and excellent food and a nice scenery on the Rhine embankment.
https://www.planetware.com/tourist-a...f-d-nw-dus.htm

Rotterdam is a small, easy to navigate airport. The city has interesting architecture. For food, the new markethal is nice.
https://www.planetware.com/tourist-a...nl-zh-rott.htm

One other aspect you should consider is that most BA aircraft do not overnight at LCY, so the first outbound flights to most destinations are somewhat later in the morning. If you add to that the time difference with the continent, at most destinations arrival will not be before noon. Hence my suggestion to look for a destination not too far away as the aircraft will arrive from there at LCY first thing in the morning and one of the earliest departures from LCY, allowing you more time at your destination because of an earlier arrival of the first flight of the day (you will be at DUS as early as 0940 or RTM 0925, but at TXL not before 1105) and usually a later departure of the last flight of the day. Or go for a destination that is served by a LCY-based aircraft (e.g. EDI, AMS, LIN)
Sealink likes this.

Last edited by vfw614; Jun 11, 2019 at 10:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.