LCY to ? Birthday Surprise

Old Jun 11, 19, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Consider Rotterdam. Airport is easy to navigate and 15 minutes from town by Taxi. Compact city with several great museums, architecture, and some very good food. Highly underrated. Taxi to Delft is also a short 15 minute hop from the airport.
Delft is such a good idea! Its a beautiful, romantic, little town. Youd win lots of brownie points!
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 12, 19, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you everybody for all the responses. Its so much appreciated.

Change today is that its 12 people and not 10!! Birthday is at the end of March 2020. All of us are mobile.

I like Rotterdam idea. Dublin possible. Nice we love. Berlin we went two years ago and loved it. Amsterdam we love and all 12 of us have done AF house once or twice so we would not do that if we decide on Amsterdam. Agree its a must place to go but not for this occasion.

Anyhow, thank you all again. Love this forum!!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 12, 19, 2:19 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by taxloop View Post
Thank you everybody for all the responses. Its so much appreciated.

Change today is that its 12 people and not 10!! Birthday is at the end of March 2020. All of us are mobile.

I like Rotterdam idea. Dublin possible. Nice we love. Berlin we went two years ago and loved it. Amsterdam we love and all 12 of us have done AF house once or twice so we would not do that if we decide on Amsterdam. Agree its a must place to go but not for this occasion.

Anyhow, thank you all again. Love this forum!!
Since there are now 12 of you, you may want to consider hiring a comfortable coach and driver at your destination to make it easier to get around whatever city you decide on! Maybe it's time to go to a travel agent to see what they recommend for a day trip with tour/lunch wrapped up?

If you do things independently, make sure you decide on a "lost person" policy. If someone gets separated from the group and can't be contacted on their mobile, the others head to the airport and the lost person makes their own way back. Sorry, risk planning is part of what I do!
Old Jun 12, 19, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Someone said no to Dublin....Still not decided......Why negative on Dublin?
Old Jun 12, 19, 12:48 pm

If the group is fit and the weather cooperates you can also easily bike from Rotterdam to Delft. Pretty much the whole way on protected bike paths with some nice countryside on the way. I bet you could easily organize a tour with a guide. Otherwise Rotterdam has Boymans and Kunsthal - both world class. But also many other great museums. Harbor tour on Spido also fun - and Fenix food factory or Holland America for lunch or drink.
Old Jun 12, 19, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

We are fit and mobile and 6 of us bike a lot but two of the 6 do not do bikes...so great idea but its not for the 12 of us....Thanks
Old Jun 13, 19, 3:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by taxloop View Post
Someone said no to Dublin....Still not decided......Why negative on Dublin?
I have found Dublin to be insanely expensive and a bit dull.
Cork (not an option from LCY) is a far more interesting city.
Belfast (Flybe from LCY) has fantastic museums close to the airport and amazing bars and restaurants, with Belfast City Airport being close to the city itself.
Old Jun 13, 19, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink View Post
I have found Dublin to be insanely expensive and a bit dull.
I get the expensive bit, particularly when sterling is in the drain, but I've heard Dublin described as many things, but never, ever dull (other than perhaps people from Cork!). Maybe you're not doing it right?

To the OP, if you do want a restaurant recommendation and the budget is relatively generous, Restaurant Patrick Guillbaud in Dublin is 2* and at that level the set lunch is, at around 50 euro, comparatively a steal when compared with similar European restaurants and its well located right in the city centre.
Old Jun 14, 19, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink View Post
Belfast (Flybe from LCY) has fantastic museums close to the airport and amazing bars and restaurants, with Belfast City Airport being close to the city itself.
I'd agree with this too (if you're discounting the charter option :-) ). Small airport, close to the centre and a few minutes from the airport to the Titanic Museum, which is very good given the topic - I won't spoil it by telling you how it ends.......
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:31 am

Programs: BA GGL
Seems a shame to not go overnight somewhere. Day trips feel compressed to me.

Prague, for example, would give you almost a full 24hrs if you stayed over (flight times are late morning, early avro return).
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:41 am
Original Poster

I agree but I am paying for 12 which means an extra 6 x 200.....It just a fun day out doing something a little different with our best friends
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Jun 15, 19, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC
I had to head to Rotterdam from City for a work meeting a few weeks ago, ended up having lunch here, https://hotelnewyork.com/food-beverage/menu/. If memory serves, it's only 30-40 minutes from the airport, and good food, especially the oysters. Didn't explore much, but it looked like there was a bit to explore around.