FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Correct baggage charges?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1973520-correct-baggage-charges.html)

Tilto007 Jun 11, 2019 12:21 am

Correct baggage charges??

Hello all I just finished checking in as One world sapphire on BA 499 Lis to Lhr.I did not pay for luggage when ticket was issued and I was promptly charged 150 Euro for 2 Bags.I complained that as one world sapphire I should not be charged Was the check in agent correct.i did pay the charges.I do not know if it matters but I checked in with my AA account info??

etiene Jun 11, 2019 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007 (Post 31190795)
Hello all I just finished checking in as One world sapphire on BA 499 Lis to Lhr.I did not pay for luggage when ticket was issued and I was promptly charged 150 Euro for 2 Bags.I complained that as one world sapphire I should not be charged Was the check in agent correct.i did pay the charges.I do not know if it matters but I checked in with my AA account info??

Absolutely correct - sadly neither oneworld nor the TATL JV have aligned this aspect of things.

On BA metal HBO means HBO - but you can preselect a seat.

Tilto007 Jun 11, 2019 12:35 am

Thanks ,interestingly I was not charged by Iberia under the exact same circumstances 2 days ago??

etiene Jun 11, 2019 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007 (Post 31190812)
Thanks ,interestingly I was not charged by Iberia under the exact same circumstances 2 days ago??

I don’t know the IB rules off the top of my head, but I suspect that’s right - it’s all down to the operating airline and is not made very easy to find.

caz312 Jun 11, 2019 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007 (Post 31190812)

Iberia appear to offer status passengers one extra bag over the ticketed allowance, so basic ticket 0 baggage = Iberia allow 1
status passengers travelling on BA HBO get 0 bags always
(for future you will likely find purchasing the ticket that includes baggage is cheaper than HBO plus bags)

Tilto007 Jun 11, 2019 3:11 am

In fact the really smart move is probably to ticket the flight with Iberia and check in at Iberia counter.Maybe no baggage fees at all??

nufnuf77 Jun 11, 2019 3:23 am

you cant check in at IB counter for BA operated flight...

MiraculousM Jun 11, 2019 3:26 am

If its a BA flight, you wont get free luggage with status.

You purchased hand luggage only. If you wanted to check in luggage you should have paid a normal economy fair. Doing this takes one of these fares away from people that actually want to use it as just that.

MoggieMae Jun 11, 2019 4:00 am

That last sentence seems somewhat condescending.

Airprox Jun 11, 2019 4:15 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM (Post 31191077)
IDoing this takes one of these fares away from people that actually want to use it as just that.

That's not how it works on BA.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 11, 2019 4:55 am

Originally Posted by MoggieMae (Post 31191127)
That last sentence seems somewhat condescending.

I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but nevertheless welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum MoggieMae. I actually don't think the availability of HBO fares isn't straightforward, it's more based on overall demand, so someone booking a ticket is in the overall pool rather than a particular HBO pool. What is certainly true that when it comes to BA's metal, it's extremely straightforward: don't buy HBO if you are not HBO! The economics are almost certainly going to run against you. With other airlines it's a more complex story, but with BA it is simply HBO = HBO.

KARFA Jun 11, 2019 4:59 am

Added to cws comment, it is even worse if you have an HBO ticket but don't realise and then have to pay for bags at check in. Paying for bags in advance in MMB on an HBO is significantly cheaper

For example, for the OP paying in advance would have been €40 for the first bag and €70 for each bag after, whereas at the airport it is €75 per bag.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...weight-baggage

Misco60 Jun 11, 2019 5:03 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31191213)
With other airlines it's a more complex story, but with BA it is simply HBO = HBO.

Unfortunately, BA doesn't communicate this very simple message particularly clearly, and it's easy to see why some infrequent passengers with status might get the impression that they get a checked luggage allowance on an HBO fare.

MiraculousM Jun 11, 2019 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Airprox (Post 31191158)
That's not how it works on BA.

Im sort of confused so please bear with me.. i would have thought that BA had x amount of cheapest fares (ie the hand luggage only) then x amount of O fares etc.

Is that not how it works? So if someone who has status buys a hand luggage fare thinking that can check in bags, and they are the last to buy the hand luggage only fare in that price bracket, are they not taking it away from someone who truly wanted that fare as HBO?

corporate-wage-slave Jun 11, 2019 5:46 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM (Post 31191276)
Is that not how it works? So if someone who has status buys a hand luggage fare thinking that can check in bags, and they are the last to buy the hand luggage only fare in that price bracket, are they not taking it away from someone who truly wanted that fare as HBO?

In isolation, this is plausibly what could happen, but overall it is much more likely that the system is balancing two things here on a macro level: overall demand management ("let's fill our aircraft") and fares ("how much can we get away with? And what are Norwegian charging?"). So a classic supply / demand ratio. They also know that particularly at the lower fares a chunk of people will buy a ticket and then simply won't show up for the flight. I think the use of fare buckets (fare classes) such as O9, Q9, G9 is a bit misleading since it kind of suggests someone is ticking sales off one by one, but there is so much more going on in the background it is almost the Chaos Theory, where the wings of a butterfly in the Amazon jungle impacts, theoretically, global weather patterns.