Correct baggage charges??

Old Jun 11, 19, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Had I purchased an Iberia ticket but checked in the BA counter ,would the Iberia allowance rules applied??
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tilto007 View Post
Had I purchased an Iberia ticket but checked in the BA counter ,would the Iberia allowance rules applied??
On an Iberia metal flight yes. On a BA metal flight no.

At MAD both airlines use Iberia agents; at LHR both airlines use BA agents; in both airports there are separate check-in locations.
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post
Im sort of confused so please bear with me.. i would have thought that BA had x amount of cheapest fares (ie the hand luggage only) then x amount of O fares etc.
An HBO fare is not the lowest price ticket in the meaning that the availability comes from a special lowest bucket. There are HBO and non-HBO (plus) fares in all buckets starting from O through B; only Y is an all Flex bucket. If there is 1 O class seat available it'll be offered either as an HBO or a Flex fare. One can't buy the 'last' HBO fare. One can get the last ticket in the O bucket, but then N would be offered either as an HBO or a Flex fare. Once N is gone, it'll be Q etc. The RM will affect which booking classes are available on a particular flight, but not the actual number of HBO tickets that can be sold. In fact, an entire plane can be HBO.
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post
i would have thought that BA had x amount of cheapest fares (ie the hand luggage only) then x amount of O fares etc.

Is that not how it works? So if someone who has status buys a hand luggage fare thinking that can check in bags, and they are the last to buy the hand luggage only fare in that price bracket, are they not taking it away from someone who truly wanted that fare as HBO?
No, AIUI that's not how BA does it. Any seat in any (or almost any) economy booking class can be sold on an HBO fare or an inclusive fare.

So suppose that there is one seat left in O class. You can buy this as HBO, or you can buy this with luggage included. The person who accidentally buys the HBO fare simply does themselves out of their inclusive luggage allowance. If they had bought the inclusive fare, it would still have been a booking of that O class seat.

Of course, c-w-s is (as usual) right about it being more complicated than that. BA does not have a fixed number of seats to sell in any booking class or at any fare. You can't think of seat reservations in the same way as tins of baked beans on a supermarket shelf. All that O1 shows you is that the airline is currently prepared to take one reservation in that booking class. If you book one O class seat, you may find that the airline is still prepared to take one reservation in O class, so that the availability number remains O1. Even if you book an O class seat when availability is O1, you have not necessarily bought the last tin of baked beans on the shelf.

Similarly, if you see N1 Q1 O1 and you book one seat in O class, that does not mean that you will still be able to book an N class seat or a Q class seat. You could find availability going immediately to N0 Q0 O0.
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:39 am

haha i am so much more confused now.