BA eStore query

Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

BA eStore query

Could someone kindly confirm whether I have understood this correctly:
Booking.com have an 8 avios per £1 offer.
If I book a hotel stay that costs £1000, and I pay for it with my BAPP amex, how much avios should I expect?
Is it 8000 (booking.com) + 1500 (1.5 avios per £ spent using BAPP amex) = 9500 avios total?
Or does the BAPP amex give me 3000 avios since the site is part of ba.com and I think I read you get 3 avios per £ spent at ba.com?
Or is it a different amount altogether?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
The transaction you ultimately make will be with Booking.com (or hotel itself depending on the type of reservation you make). It won't be classed as a BA.com purchase. So just the standard 1.5 Avios for that part.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: ba, SQ, Qatar, Shangri-la
Having made numerous purchases on the BA e-store Gate 365 site I have always received the stated offer i.e. 8 Avios per £ spent and I believe I have also received the 1.5 Avios per £ from AMEX but I do stand to be corrected on that (I need to check my AMEX statement). The 3 Avios mentioned is for flights on BA bought with the AMEX card.

Last edited by BEACONFELLA; Jun 12, 2019 at 5:02 am Reason: extra details
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BEACONFELLA
Having made numerous purchases on the BA e-store Gate 365 site I have always received the stated offer i.e. 8 Avios per £ spent and I believe I have also received the 1.5 Avios per £ from AMEX but I do stand to be corrected on that (I need to check my AMEX statement). The 3 Avios mentioned is for flights on BA bought with the AMEX card.
Thanks for the reply.
Are you sure about that last sentence?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA
As an aside - my experience is that the £1000 spent on booking.com will be netted of vat so you will only receive around 6600 Avios for that part of the transaction. I’m pretty sure things like delivery charges via the eStore are also not included in the Avios calculation.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Aston100
Originally Posted by BEACONFELLA
The 3 Avios mentioned is for flights on BA bought with the AMEX card.
Are you sure about that last sentence?
I think that the Amex process is to look for "British Airways" (or something similar like "ba.com") in the merchant name when the charge reaches the statement. That then credits as 3 Avios per £1. Everything else credits as 1.5 Avios per £1. The fact that the transaction is initiated through ba.com does not guarantee that the credit card charge will have BA's name in it so as to trigger the higher earning rate.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that the Amex process is to look for "British Airways" (or something similar like "ba.com") in the merchant name when the charge reaches the statement. That then credits as 3 Avios per £1. Everything else credits as 1.5 Avios per £1. The fact that the transaction is initiated through ba.com does not guarantee that the credit card charge will have BA's name in it so as to trigger the higher earning rate.
Thanks.
I did think it was more than just BA flights that earnt 3 Avios per £
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
it's probably anything directly sold by BA, that is onboard purchases, checked bags, seat selection...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: ba, SQ, Qatar, Shangri-la
1.5 Avios for every £1 spent3 Avios for every £1 spent direct with British Airways or BA holidays. This is for the Platinum Plus card with the annual fee of £199 'ish

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.