Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelled flight - coach offered - can we refuse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled flight - coach offered - can we refuse?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Thanks for all the replies - this forum is so helpful when things go a bit wonky. They ended up rebooking everyone to travel this morning with no further talk of a bus (coach!). Had a nice sleep in the Radisson and a random free upgrade to an executive room - so current having a leisurely breakfast in the lounge overlooking the airport. Claim submitted to BA for the room and EU261.

Thanks again everyone,

TFC
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RGS5526
If a MAN-LHR flight is cancelled, will BA pay for train travel?
Formally BA treat claims for train travel on "case by case" basis. So if you are Gold cardholder and there weren't many alternatives you would probably get that back, but as an alternative to getting your airfare back. BA have been known to decline train claims particularly from those without status, however they equally tend to relent if they start getting CEDR or MCOL paper work, it isn't anything they want to defend in court. I suspect in this case they would have allowed this, particularly if it saved them a hotel bill.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Funny, as a Yank I read it as coach class, as in economy class, and thought who couldn't fly in economy class vs. staying over at a hotel on such a short flight. However, I see OP was referring to what people on this side of the pond would call a bus.
Funnily enough as a Scot, I assumed on first reading that it was an American talking about Y rather than a bus! ‘Coach’ seems a peculiarly English affectation!

Glad it’s all sorted anyway!
SKT-DK and JAXBA like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
There was some pretty shocking weather here in London yesterday evening with very heavy rain and thunderstorms. I fear that may have been the reason.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
There was some pretty shocking weather here in London yesterday evening with very heavy rain and thunderstorms. I fear that may have been the reason.
The two things going on yesterday were the weather as you noted, and also lots of very significant slot delays for any routes across France due to a lack of controllers. Whilst the latter doesn't directly concern a LHR-MAN-LHR rotation, it does indirectly affect it when the aircraft and crew due to operate are coming in from somewhere which would overfly France. I was on the last LHR-MAN flight last night and we ended up departing about 45 minutes late as they have been very heavily delayed coming in from Nice.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Seems as though the 1407 hasn't had the best reliability the last few days. Cancelled Friday, delayed by 90 mins on Sunday (I was on this flight) and cancelled again yesterday. Ouch.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The hotel bit is tricky. Essentially you would have to argue that the coach offer was not "comparable transport conditions" and therefore a hotel was the alternative if other flights were not offered . I think that's fairly strong but may engender hassle in terms of claiming it, but if you did this, keep the cost reasonable and just send in the bill without commentary after the event.
As it turns out, the issue resolved itself for the OP and I would have agreed with your sensible advice on how to proceed otherwise but I would have thought that "fairly strong" is something of an under-statement. I just cannot see how a coach journey could remotely be described as "comparable transport conditions" to a flight. If that were regarded as "comparable transport conditions", what exactly would it require for a mode of transport not to be regarded as comparable?
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NickB
what exactly would it require for a mode of transport not to be regarded as comparable?
A car hire voucher perhaps? But overall I agree, I'm just putting a small amount of healthy doubt into the process since few things in life are guaranteed.
NickB and IAMORGAN like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
The cancellation was due to the weather radar failing on the inbound leg. They tried to fix it for 90 minutes but gave up and cancelled it.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Funnily enough as a Scot, I assumed on first reading that it was an American talking about Y rather than a bus! ‘Coach’ seems a peculiarly English affectation!

Glad it’s all sorted anyway!
Coach is a posh bus for long distance travel.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
If you are not a frequent traveller and your UK domestic flight has been cancelled in the evening, how would you know that you should call a USA 1-800 number (with or withought Skype Credit)

Surely ground staff should provide assistance and provide a UK number to call (which may auto connect to USA). 🧐
HMPS and cauchy like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Funny, as a Yank I read it as coach class, as in economy class, and thought who couldn't fly in economy class vs. staying over at a hotel on such a short flight. However, I see OP was referring to what people on this side of the pond would call a bus.
The operators of the regional bus to O'Hare refer to it as a coach!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by BAEC
Surely ground staff should provide assistance and provide a UK number to call (which may auto connect to USA). 🧐
The silly thing is that when you call the US number after 8pm when the UK number has closed, you often get through to the UK call centre!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:46 am

Shouldve said charabang and there'd be no confusion.
KARFA and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by acquiescefc
Shouldve said charabang and there'd be no confusion.
Maybe you've added more confusion. I think you meant to state: charabanc

Doc Copper
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.