Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelled flight - coach offered - can we refuse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold

Hello everyone

MAN-LHR cancelled this evening, coach offered in replacement. Can we refuse it and insist on a hotel and rebooking on a flight tomorrow at BA’s expense?

TFC

Last edited by TheFlyingCyclist; Jun 11, 2019 at 12:53 am
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can certainly ask to be rebooked to another service, I doubt that would be refused, you may need to call BA on the USA number using Skype. It may prove problematic there if the ground staff haven't offloaded you from their system, but hopefully that has now been done. The hotel bit is tricky. Essentially you would have to argue that the coach offer was not "comparable transport conditions" and therefore a hotel was the alternative if other flights were not offered . I think that's fairly strong but may engender hassle in terms of claiming it, but if you did this, keep the cost reasonable and just send in the bill without commentary after the event. I would book it yourself rather than getting the ground staff to help.

However don't forget to ask exactly why the flight was cancelled.
Ericdeparis and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you - that’s really helpful.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
A coach from MAN to LHR is a grim prospect, arriving well after after midnight
Markie likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Ok, the coach is now out of the question - everyone is being rebooked.

Can I ring BA via Skype for free or do I need to add credit? Is it just the 1-800-247-9297 number?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'd add a fiver to Skype and claim that off BA too. You won't be connected for very long if payment is needed, you won't get past the Privacy Policy.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:08 pm

What fun!

Hope you get sorted.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:09 pm

No actual need for Skype credit for the 1-800 number btw (although you may want to add it anyway...)
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:10 pm

It's just possible that the App will allow you to rebook straight away, assuming you have a BA.com issued ticket, bought via BA channels and doesn't have unusual arrangements such as POUGs on it. Once a flight is fully cancelled it is possible that you are rebooked automatically.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:03 pm

If a MAN-LHR flight is cancelled, will BA pay for train travel? The last train from Manchester to Euston is at 21:15, arriving in Euston just before midnight. That might suit some people better than a coach.

Alternatively, for someone not is a hurry and assuming the direct flights any morning are likely to be full, ba.com offers MAN-HEL-LHR in Finnair Business and MAN-MAD-LHR in Iberia Economy. Both take most of the day, but will give extra TP and Avios.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:40 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
As an aside google hangouts allows free calls to all USA numbers so if you’re calling USA that’s an option.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Under EC 261/2004 it was OP's option to travel at a later time and that is what he elected. The sole question is whether there is a duty of care and that is up in the air.

Given that the result is uncertain, I would not spend anything I would not spend if I knew it would not be reimbursed. Put another way, spend only what you would spend if out of pocket. It may wind up that way.

As an aside, one may always cancel for a refund. If a train ticket is less than the air ticket, do that and purchase the train ticket yourself.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Funny, as a Yank I read it as coach class, as in economy class, and thought who couldn't fly in economy class vs. staying over at a hotel on such a short flight. However, I see OP was referring to what people on this side of the pond would call a bus.
SK, Dambus, LCY8737 and 17 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Funny, as a Yank I read it as coach class, as in economy class, and thought who couldn't fly in economy class vs. staying over at a hotel on such a short flight. However, I see OP was referring to what people on this side of the pond would call a bus.
As an American and FTer, I also took coach as Y ! Guess it meant a motor coach.
TTmex, gateH15 and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
As an American and FTer, I also took coach as Y ! Guess it meant a motor coach.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.