FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Cancelled flight - coach offered - can we refuse? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1973470-cancelled-flight-coach-offered-can-we-refuse.html)

KARFA Jun 12, 2019 2:04 am

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper (Post 31194326)
Maybe you've added more confusion. I think you meant to state: charabanc

Doc Copper

In the north of England where the OP’s situation occurred I doubt you will get anywhere calling it a “chara banc”. Charabang is correct up here ;)

DoctorCopper Jun 12, 2019 2:44 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31194337)

In the north of England where the OP’s situation occurred I doubt you will get anywhere calling it a “chara banc”. Charabang is correct up here ;)

Let's not digress too much from the OP's original request, but charabanc is often pronounced charabang in colloquial English.

Doc Copper

PS: Not a native southerner here...

godfreyb Jun 12, 2019 7:12 am

Or in the East End of London (where I come from!) it will be a 'chara' as in 'what time's the chara coming?'

mobilemario Jun 12, 2019 12:26 pm

If you bought ticket with amex card platinum or British Airways you have options to claim train ticket. My Ms had flight cancellation and was revoked next day but she bought train ticket first class and amex returned this expenses

jbfield Jun 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 31190535)
As an American and FTer, I also took coach as Y ! Guess it meant a motor coach.

I thought in the USA Economy is referred to as ‘coach’ because on US carriers the experience resembles traveling by a ‘motor coach’...and Brits traveling domestically by flight in the USA refer to the airport experience as akin to waiting in a bus station.

greg5 Jun 28, 2019 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by jbfield (Post 31250238)
I thought in the USA Economy is referred to as ‘coach’ because on US carriers the experience resembles traveling by a ‘motor coach’...and Brits traveling domestically by flight in the USA refer to the airport experience as akin to waiting in a bus station.

Of course to take this further one could refer to United as Greyhound. Might be a bit unfair to Greyhound though.

henry999 Jun 29, 2019 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Nicoolio (Post 31190495)
Funny, as a Yank I read it as coach class, as in economy class ... . However, I see OP was referring to what people on this side of the pond would call a bus.

A coach is also of course the person who guides / trains / manages a sport team. An American friend of mine likes to tell a story of his astonishment, and confusion, on his first visit to the UK. He knew beforehand what 'football' means there (and just about everywhere in the world except North America) but on the motorway he was baffled by the signs at the entrances to service areas which read: 'No football coaches'. :)

tuonopepper Jun 29, 2019 4:29 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 31191329)
As it turns out, the issue resolved itself for the OP and I would have agreed with your sensible advice on how to proceed otherwise but I would have thought that "fairly strong" is something of an under-statement. I just cannot see how a coach journey could remotely be described as "comparable transport conditions" to a flight. If that were regarded as "comparable transport conditions", what exactly would it require for a mode of transport not to be regarded as comparable?

I've missed a few LHR to MAN connections due to late arriving first sectors. When it's the last one that's gone or they can't find a seat on a later one they always say hotel and the first flight next morning.

I've pleaded with them to just give me a rental car - no, can't do that sir, they have zero flexibility, madness as it would save them the hotel bill. I've taken to using the DM function on Twitter now to get confirmation they will pay for such action each time now, those guys are usually good.

Hannibal Lecter Jun 29, 2019 5:06 am

There is a bus company in the US called Coach USA

https://www.coachusa.com/

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pepdwp/wp-c...coach-nf33.png

MADPhil Jun 29, 2019 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter (Post 31251457)
There is a bus company in the US called Coach USA

And it is owned by Stagecoach Group PLC of Perth, Scotland!

I often start my jourenys to N. Yorks. on a Stagecoach company and end it on a First company (they also run a lot of school busses in the USA).

ahmetdouas Jun 29, 2019 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31190860)
Formally BA treat claims for train travel on "case by case" basis. So if you are Gold cardholder and there weren't many alternatives you would probably get that back, but as an alternative to getting your airfare back. BA have been known to decline train claims particularly from those without status, however they equally tend to relent if they start getting CEDR or MCOL paper work, it isn't anything they want to defend in court. I suspect in this case they would have allowed this, particularly if it saved them a hotel bill.

what has it got to do with being gold? Non gold members are less experienced in fighting airlines I guess? Well they certainly wouldn’t want to let me down even if I ak a blue :) so far it hasn’t happened