BA2557 [RHO - LGW] Unable to Reserve Seat

Old Jun 10, 19, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue
BA2557 [RHO - LGW] Unable to Reserve Seat

Hi guys! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm travelling Club Europe on BA2557 on the 22nd June, I had already paid for seating (do not get me started on this) for the outbound, however on the inbound flight, all seats are showing as occupied? I tweeted BA and they said there is nothing they can do, as it's in airport control, however it's over a week away so I can't understand how that is the case. I have checked Expert Flyer and it shows 1AC and 8ACDF as blocked, I can understand row 1 being blocked for Gold holders, but not row 8, it isn't even an exit row, so why would they block it? My concern is, that my partner is a very nervous flyer, hence the upgrade to CE (at a cost of £800, and they still have the nerve to charge for seat allocation), but now I run the risk of being split up as I'm unable to reserve the inbound seating.

I'm a lowly Blue member at the moment, however this trip will push me into Bronze, but I won't be able to select seats for free until 24hrs before the inbound flight.

Would anyone know of any reason why these seats would be blocked and not made available to reserve? Any suggestions on trying to secure a pair of seats?

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here Southern_Northerner. I hope that we will hear more from you in the future.

At the moment the curtain is in a very particular position - there are enough seats for all passengers, row 1A and C is being kept for Golds, yet with J1 C0 selling buckets that is highly unlikely to happen at this point. On a "couple" route that means they aren't really selling any more Club tickets. It's far more likely that someone will pull out of CE.

In which case you may well be destined for 1A and 1C. Moreover, row 8, which as you say is blocked, may as well be reverted to EuroTraveller since that looks quite busy but there is still scope for a good price - from BA's perspective - sale (Y7 B7 H4 K2). On the other hand they may decide to offer more POUGs to people and push back the curtain further, even though there are some Silver and Gold ET passengers in row 9 and 10 at the moment.

Essentially you best check this every morning to see if they do in fact free up row 8 - which you will then be able to pay for - or make it ET. Either way I suspect at T-48 or OLCI you will be able to select the seats in row 1. Furthermore, the flight is marked as a G-GATx aircraft, whereas at T-72 it may be changed to an aircraft with row 1D and 1F available to it. And again the curtain may move back.

Because CE is selectable at T-48 hrs on many revenue tickets, because of the curtain, because of the seating structure, I really do not see the point in paying for seats in Club Europe. I cannot remember a single CE flight where this caused a significant problem, and only a handful of times where the CSM (in this case) has intervened to help people. Once you are Bronze this issue should be easier for you but in the current situation a Bronze card wouldn't help until the curtain is moved.
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Southern_Northerner View Post
Hi guys! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm travelling Club Europe on BA2557 on the 22nd June, I had already paid for seating (do not get me started on this) for the outbound, however on the inbound flight, all seats are showing as occupied? I tweeted BA and they said there is nothing they can do, as it's in airport control, however it's over a week away so I can't understand how that is the case. I have checked Expert Flyer and it shows 1AC and 8ACDF as blocked, I can understand row 1 being blocked for Gold holders, but not row 8, it isn't even an exit row, so why would they block it? My concern is, that my partner is a very nervous flyer, hence the upgrade to CE (at a cost of £800, and they still have the nerve to charge for seat allocation), but now I run the risk of being split up as I'm unable to reserve the inbound seating.

I'm a lowly Blue member at the moment, however this trip will push me into Bronze, but I won't be able to select seats for free until 24hrs before the inbound flight.

Would anyone know of any reason why these seats would be blocked and not made available to reserve? Any suggestions on trying to secure a pair of seats?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum, I am sure that the dignitaries will be along with a more formal welcome. EF indicates that row 9 seems to be the first row in Economy and indeed has some seats allocated, I suspect that row 8 is blocked in case they need to extend the economy cabin eg are 6 economy seats better than 4 club. I wouldn’t worry too much. Can you ask at the outbound if they can do something as it wouldn’t be under airport control at the moment. It may be locked out whilst they push the curtain back and make the Club Europe cabin larger and have to juggle with the people in Economy playing curtain roulette.

I hope you enjoy your CE experience at Gatwick. Fast Track is pretty fast and the lounge is one of the most comfortable Don’t forget to ask for champagne if it isn’t on self pour. Please stick around, as hopefully you will get up to Silver and then seat assignment won’t be an issue for you, I totally empathetise with you on seat fees. My parents as Blue now pay seat fees for their 4 Club Europe sectors a year as Blues so the sit together after a near miss but this policy isn’t going to change and has been done to death on here.
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies!

It is quite frustrating that if seats are available I'm unable to book them. My partner is a very nervous flyer so the thought of her being away from me, even on what is considered a short flight, is enough for her not to want to travel. I had explained this to BA via Twitter and they were not very helpful in the slightest and told me that I will 'more than likely' be sat with her anyway as they're in pairs, but we all know they class aisle to aisle seats as sat together when in reality it really isn't!

Would it be worth popping over to the many desks at Gatwick (I work via there everyday) and speaking to someone? Would they have any control over the seats?

Thank you so far!
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:06 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Thank you both for your replies!

It is quite frustrating that if seats are available I'm unable to book them. My partner is a very nervous flyer so the thought of her being away from me, even on what is considered a short flight, is enough for her not to want to travel.
As an aside, if she’s a nervous flyer, wouldn’t you be better off in economy? In CE you would be separated by the middle seat.
As to the seat reservation, there is a workaround, which I will DM you.
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I had explained this to BA via Twitter and they were not very helpful in the slightest and told me that I will 'more than likely' be sat with her anyway as they're in pairs, but we all know they class aisle to aisle seats as sat together when in reality it really isn't!

Would it be worth popping over to the many desks at Gatwick (I work via there everyday) and speaking to someone? Would they have any control over the seats?
The Social Media team on Twitter were correct though, I'd put a very high percentage chance, well above 90%, that you will be sat next to her. I doubt that LGW staff would be able to see anything more than you can see, namely a row blocked due to the curtain perhaps moving, and 2 seats allocated to Golds. Until the curtain moves there isn't much scope for anyone to do anything. I'm not sure if you are aware, but 2 aisle seats are about the same distance apart as window and aisle, due to the blocked middle seat.

So just keep checking every morning, due to the way Revenue Management works on Greek flights I've a good feeling the curtain will be moved back, or the row 8 block moved. Your flight is a long way off, and a lot can change, not least a swap out of a G-GATx aircraft.
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

We have travelled CE once, last year on a spontaneous upgrade on an AMS-LGW flight and she was happy with the layout, even with the middle seat blocked, as she didn't feel cramped in and still felt close enough to me to not feel too scared. I do understand what you say that two aisles are perhaps closer, however in my partners mind I'm not sat with her so it's not an option.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I am able to reserve soon!