Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early LCY checkin of luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
It is the best London airport if one values time. Where else can you arrive 20 mins before departure and still make your flight?

It is probably the worst London airport for spending more time than absolutely necessary (tiny, few options, no lounge). OP's idea would never even cross my mind: The airside food and drink options at LCY are mediocre in quality and top league in terms of price. There are many preferable options in East London if one has 3 hours to kill before the flight.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
Originally Posted by LCY8737
It is the best London airport if one values time. Where else can you arrive 20 mins before departure and still make your flight?

It is probably the worst London airport for spending more time than absolutely necessary (tiny, few options, no lounge). OP's idea would never even cross my mind: The airside food and drink options at LCY are mediocre in quality and top league in terms of price. There are many preferable options in East London if one has 3 hours to kill before the flight.
couldn't have put it better myself!!! what crossed my mind was "not much" and I admit I was caught out by not doing enough homework. i'd been partying down in London from Thursday to sunday and we were simply looking for some quiet pre-boarding time with something simple and a glass of wine. she got the 'something simple' in me not realising that there were better options to be had … had I looked!

the irony is that I am usually particularly diligent as to travel plans and times but rarely do I use LCY for the return leg and that;s where I assumed too much. it would have been good if the bag drop warnings were more prominent but they weren't. i'm home now so case closed for me and lesson learned. LCY has now left my travel plans.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Seachain
the irony is that I am usually particularly diligent as to travel plans and times but rarely do I use LCY for the return leg and that;s where I assumed too much. it would have been good if the bag drop warnings were more prominent but they weren't. i'm home now so case closed for me and lesson learned. LCY has now left my travel plans.
The arriving and departing services are in a way quite different (though they still speak to those who value their time). So departing there are limited and costly shops / bars, no lounges; arriving into LCY it's a quick zoom out via the UK Border and short hop to the DLR, before you know it you are in central London.

However there is an expensive alternative, namely to use the independent service lounge at the Jet Centre, which is somewhat pricey at Ł95 per person. I can't see the time limit on this, but I doubt they would be bothered if someone turned up 3 hours early.

https://www.londoncityairport.com/lounges
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic
It implies that you can check in, but not that you can bag drop. It was the same phrasing when LHR only allowed bag drop 3 hours before the flight for people without status flying in Y (I believe though aren't sure that the rules have been relaxed for them since).

To my knowledge, most European airlines with a check in limit of 2 or 3 hours do similarly allow self check in at kiosks (when available) on the calendar day but still won't accept bags until their stated limit.
How does checking in not include the checking in of baggage? It is really stretching it to suggest that checking in times only apply to certain parts of the check in process

I would never choose to get to an airport 4 hours before the flight, but if the airline's information states that checkin can take place at the airport from 05:30, I would reasonably expect to be able to be checked in at that time - not partly checked in.

I do think that if there is a restriction on part of the check in process , it should make it clear in the manage booking tool
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How does checking in not include the checking in of baggage? It is really stretching it to suggest that checking in times only apply to certain parts of the check in process
At LCY that would in fact be the norm, most people check-in at LCY just to get boarding passes, which can be done via the self service kiosks.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
At LCY that would in fact be the norm, most people check-in at LCY just to get boarding passes, which can be done via the self service kiosks.
There are plenty og people who do check luggage in at LCY and checking in of luggage is part of the check in process. Even with luggage, checking in with machines is normal - - self service check in isn't generally, ime, limited to passengers with hand luggage only

If baggage is only accepted at 2 hours before departure , then it should indicate that check in with luggage is only available at the manned check in desks
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can still arrive silly early, there are two coffee shops in LCY that one can repair to if necessary, but for an airport like LCY it would be bonkers to encourage people to turn up even earlier than 2 hours.
I agree. As I said, I too have erred on the side of sometimes cutting it fine because something has gone wrong en route. But there are people who are just not comfortable with anything other than the other extreme. For all the reasons you give, LCY is not really for them. On that, I think that HarryHolden68 is right, and not illogical - but I think that LCY's characteristics are simply LCY's, and not due to some sort of BA conspiracy to favour Londoners.
Originally Posted by Seachain
... I admit I was caught out by not doing enough homework. ...

... i'm home now so case closed for me and lesson learned. LCY has now left my travel plans.
I'm not sure why you would want to write off LCY from all of your future travel plans merely because you didn't do enough homework this time. There may be other occasions when it would still work brilliantly for you. Obviously, not on any occasion on which you want to use a lounge for hours before the flight - but frankly, even if you were in the area hours before the flight you could simply take yourself and your luggage to one of any number of good nearby spots that would rival any lounge for comfort and service.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
How does checking in not include the checking in of baggage?
So when you check-in online 24 hours before the flight, someone from BA should be by your keyboard waiting to whisk your bags away immediately?

Even if the information that BA provides could be clearer about the times when bag drop is open, this isn't an argument in support of that.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:01 pm

There are plenty og people who do check luggage in at LCY and checking in of luggage is part of the check in process. s
A fairly small minority though. Less than 20% of passengers check in baggage overall at LCY. Personally I think it's clear that if staffed desks are not available until 2 hours (as indicated in MMB) then that means no baggage accepted until then; it's not unusual in the UK, GLA is the same. Self baggage machines are still quite rare in the UK too.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:14 pm

LCY airside is not much better than LCY landside for waiting.

I know you were hoping to have a relaxing lunch but I don’t get that vibe from any of the restaurants there.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Arriving at LCY is a dream for me. From wheels down to sitting on my sofa it can be as little as 20 minutes. Which means that on an AMS rotation I can be sat at home around 5/10 minutes after I've left AMS. As a departure point it is cramped and limited. I usually aim to be there no more than 45 minutes-1 hour before departure. I guess the point being made above was that if you aim for only a 1 hour cushion then even a slight hold up on public transport can have disastrous consequences, which I think is a fair point. However thankfully the DLR is pretty reliable.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It may be stretching but in my experience, that is the norm, certainly in Europe. Basically, airlines advertise a start of online check in, often 48, 30, 24, or 23 hours before departure, then they advertise kiosk check in, usually from the airport opening time on the day of the flight, and then they advertise the opening of the check in desks - usually either 3 or 2 hours before the flight and that is when they take baggage. So whether you are flying BA from LCY, KL from OSL or LH from NCE, the same restrictions seem to be imposed.

I've explained above why I personally don't believe that there should be more insistence on this on the boarding passes. I fully accept that others may disagree, but to me personally, that information belongs to the website and not to the final documents for the reasons I highlighted in post 11.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:35 am

I don't see any reason for it to be on a boarding pass , but if there is a restriction on baggage acceptance, I think that it should be made clear in the check in information in Manage booking

Although I wouldn't be getting to an airport that early by choice, I can see why someone could quite reasonably infer that when check in is open at the airport, unless it says otherwise, that it would be the whole process that is available

One of the good things ime about LCY is the quickness of getting through the airport and getting there 4 hours early defeats the benefits
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:22 am

I don't see any reason for it to be on a boarding pass , but if there is a restriction on baggage acceptance, I think that it should be made clear in the check in information in Manage booking
The BA.com version says for London City :
If you have baggage to check in, print your baggage tags at a check-in kiosk (even if you have already checked in) and drop your tagged bags at a Bag Drop desk. Desks open two hours before the flight departure time but not before the earliest opening time of 05:30.

If you are travelling with hand baggage only and have already checked in, you can go straight through security to the gate. If your hand baggage exceeds your allowance, you may need to check it in and charges may apply.
Whereas for Stansted it says:
If you have baggage to check in, drop it at a Bag Drop desk. Desks open two hours before the flight departure time but not before the earliest opening time of 05:30.

If you are travelling with hand baggage only and have already checked in, you can go straight through security to the gate. If your hand baggage exceeds your allowance, you may need to check it in and charges may apply.
And Heathrow T5, after detailing the exception for those with lounge access:
If you have baggage to check in, you can go to a Self-Service Bag Drop machine at London Heathrow Terminal 5 or London Gatwick.

Alternatively, you can go to a Bag Drop desk, which are open at the following times:
[snip for status / cabin exceptions]
From 3 hours before your flight departure time, but not before the earliest opening time of 05:00
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:38 am

Looking at my booking , in section for check in it says

Online check-in Opens from 24 hours before departure
Closes at 1 hour before departure

You may check-in online for this flight. If you have baggage to check-in you may take this to the Bag Drop desks

Other ways to check in

Following link to Other ways to check in, I see

Airport self-service
Open From 05:30 on day of departure
closes at 30 minutes before departure
Kiosk locations - Outside the terminal in the Docklands Light Railway corridor

Airport desks
Open From 2 hours before departure
closes at 20 minutes before departure
Location - Desks 1-7

If you are relying on information in manage booking, I don't know how it is clear at all that baggage acceptance opens at 2 hours before departure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.