FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Why have BA become obsessed with Mousseline? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1973380-why-have-ba-become-obsessed-mousseline.html)

Speedbird676 Jun 10, 2019 4:47 am

Why have BA become obsessed with Mousseline?

My last three flights, BA seem to have become obsessed with Mousseline.

Club World LHR-JFK, two of the main courses were served with a "Mousseline".

Club World JFK-LHR, one of the main courses was served with a "Mousseline".

Club Europe CFU-LHR yesterday, my grilled atlantic cod was topped with a "Mousseline". It turned out to be some form of deconstructed fish pie.

ENTP Jun 10, 2019 5:27 am

Cheap but sounds fancy?

krispy84 Jun 10, 2019 5:32 am

Someone at Waterside has been watching re-runs of Lloyd Grossman era Master Chef?

Brisbane Road Jun 10, 2019 6:51 am

It’s classic BA.

It’s a fancy sounding word and they’re the masters at attempting to gloss up their premium products through hyperbole when the reality is quite different.

ajeleonard Jun 10, 2019 7:06 am

All part of the BA 'Mrs Bucket' culture

krispy84 Jun 10, 2019 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird676 (Post 31187724)
My last three flights, BA seem to have become obsessed with Mousseline.

Club World LHR-JFK, two of the main courses were served with a "Mousseline".

Club World JFK-LHR, one of the main courses was served with a "Mousseline".

Club Europe CFU-LHR yesterday, my grilled atlantic cod was topped with a "Mousseline". It turned out to be some form of deconstructed fish pie.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f8c866b66.jpeg
The definition from my Larousse. Does this tally with what you were served OP?

BarneyMcGrew Jun 10, 2019 7:35 am

When I first glanced at the title of this thread, I read it as:

Why have BA become obsessed with Mussolini?

I thought BA had gone all dictatorial and fascist!

Speedbird676 Jun 10, 2019 7:59 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew (Post 31188074)
When I first glanced at the title of this thread, I read it as:

Why have BA become obsessed with Mussolini?

I thought BA had gone all dictatorial and fascist!

I actually wondered whether anyone would read it as such when I wrote it :D

Speedbird676 Jun 10, 2019 8:04 am

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 31188028)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f8c866b66.jpeg
The definition from my Larousse. Does this tally with what you were served OP?

In every case that I tried, no. I know what a mousseline is, hence my confusion with their obsession - it is essentially somewhere between a sauce and a mousse. In each BA case, it has merely been mashed potato.

The "wasabi mousseline" on the LHR-JFK was wasabi mash.

The "baked Parmesan mousseline" on the CFU-LHR was Parmesan mash on top of a piece of cod, which was then floating in a "warm tartare sauce" which was actually the normal cream sauce you'd expect from a fish pie with chopped egg, capers and peas. Oddly it had what appeared to be mussels in it, too, which were not mentioned on the menu. Being such a love it or hate it kind of food I thought they would have highlighted their presence.

ng1265 Jun 10, 2019 8:17 am

Worth noting that in France (not sure about the UK), Mousline is a brand of instant mashed potato. There, instant mashed potato is commonly referred to as "Purée mousline"

Speedbird676 Jun 10, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ng1265 (Post 31188175)
Worth noting that in France (not sure about the UK), Mousline is a brand of instant mashed potato. There, instant mashed potato is commonly referred to as "Purée mousline"

I guess Mousseline sounds better than Smash :D

WickedStepMother Jun 10, 2019 9:18 am

It’s just another fancy pants word, like ‘mesclun’ and ‘jus’.

Howard Long Jun 10, 2019 9:28 am

That's nothing compared to the let down I had once when I rather excitedly saw "Marmite" on a French menu, only to end up with a fishy stew.

BearX220 Jun 10, 2019 10:03 am

It's just gloop. Toothpaste is spearmint mousseline.

krispy84 Jun 10, 2019 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird676 (Post 31188138)
In every case that I tried, no. I know what a mousseline is, hence my confusion with their obsession - it is essentially somewhere between a sauce and a mousse. In each BA case, it has merely been mashed potato.

The "wasabi mousseline" on the LHR-JFK was wasabi mash.

The "baked Parmesan mousseline" on the CFU-LHR was Parmesan mash on top of a piece of cod, which was then floating in a "warm tartare sauce" which was actually the normal cream sauce you'd expect from a fish pie with chopped egg, capers and peas. Oddly it had what appeared to be mussels in it, too, which were not mentioned on the menu. Being such a love it or hate it kind of food I thought they would have highlighted their presence.

Not a mousseline at all, as you say. I’d like to know who writes the menu descriptions. It sometimes feels like BA are playing a game of culinary bulls**t bingo.