Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why have BA become obsessed with Mousseline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why have BA become obsessed with Mousseline?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:12 am

Maybe they got a job lot on the ingredients?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
As we all heard about what's in BA's DNA, it seems natural to save by catching the ingredients fresh in the lounges, best before opening hours
babats likes this.

Last edited by onobond; Jun 12, 2019 at 12:45 am Reason: removing non-compatible object
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
2 of the 3 mains on last nights JFK-LHR had mousseline. And the third one had rosemary jus.

Glad I saw this thread before flying and had googled the term. Also googled banoffee when I got the menu.
Speedbird676 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by 1010101
Maybe they got a job lot on the ingredients?
Spuds, butter and double cream, hardly hard to come by (in fact, the less potatoes, the better the taste, go figure!)

Add a bit of nutmeg at the end to make it really posh.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Acid
Also googled banoffee when I got the menu.
I’m so charmed by this. I always thought banoffee was a fairly universal term (although my brother was quite adamant it was banana+coffee for a lot of years). However I have noticed a lot of places in Australia call it “banana toffee tart” so obviously nowhere near as usual as I thought!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
My last three flights, BA seem to have become obsessed with Mousseline.

Club World LHR-JFK, two of the main courses were served with a "Mousseline".

Club World JFK-LHR, one of the main courses was served with a "Mousseline".

Club Europe CFU-LHR yesterday, my grilled atlantic cod was topped with a "Mousseline". It turned out to be some form of deconstructed fish pie.
So it's not BA's attempt to make a profit from all the mice around the lounges then?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I'm surprised there are no comments on the "deconstructed" fish pie look. It is like going into a trendy restaurant and the menu has deconstructed cheesecake or similar. NO NO NO!

This is a restaurant, you are a chef. I'm paying you to blooming "construct" it.

Ahhh that feels better :-)
HMPS, wrp96, missdimeaner and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I'm surprised there are no comments on the "deconstructed" fish pie look. It is like going into a trendy restaurant and the menu has deconstructed cheesecake or similar. NO NO NO!

This is a restaurant, you are a chef. I'm paying you to blooming "construct" it.

Ahhh that feels better :-)
Perhaps someone can track down the exec. and chef who 'Inspired" this dish and combos ? Maybe find out the impact on the bottom line ?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:19 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Just been listening to the audiobook of Diamonds are Forever. I have this thread to thank for now knowing what this stuff is. Shame he didn't have it in Shannon on his BOAC flight over to America.

https://www.thejamesbonddossier.com/...-the-novel.htm

Later that evening Bond meets Tiffany Case at the famous 21 Club for dinner, where they start with vodka martinis. Bond asks for them to “shaken and not stirred”. Tiffany quickly downs her first, followed by two more in short succession before the food arrives.

While eating caviar the waiter brings an ice cold bottle of Clicquot Rosé champagne, which to Bond seems to have the faint taste of strawberries. The caviar is followed by cutlets accompanied by asparagus with mousseline sauce. They finish their meal with coffee and Stingers made with white Crème de Menthe.
JAXBA and Speedbird676 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Just been listening to the audiobook of Diamonds are Forever. I have this thread to thank for now knowing what this stuff is. Shame he didn't have it in Shannon on his BOAC flight over to America.

https://www.thejamesbonddossier.com/...-the-novel.htm

Later that evening Bond meets Tiffany Case at the famous 21 Club for dinner, where they start with vodka martinis. Bond asks for them to “shaken and not stirred”. Tiffany quickly downs her first, followed by two more in short succession before the food arrives.

While eating caviar the waiter brings an ice cold bottle of Clicquot Rosé champagne, which to Bond seems to have the faint taste of strawberries. The caviar is followed by cutlets accompanied by asparagus with mousseline sauce. They finish their meal with coffee and Stingers made with white Crème de Menthe.
I am sure, had Bond known of this dish beforehand, he would have rejected the role ! Not a macho enough dish for the super agent.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
I am sure, had Bond known of this dish beforehand, he would have rejected the role ! Not a macho enough dish for the super agent.
Not sure about the dish, but any drink with Crème de Menthe in it automatically excludes one from the cool club of secret agents, I would think.

rb211.
alex67500 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.