Wiki Posts
Search

Families First

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:30 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by navylad
I have to admit, not having rugrats mysslf, I don’t really see the need for early boarding for those with children (as oppose to infants) and wish BA would just stick to their published policy which is IMHO fair.
Younger children can be even harder to wrangle. Infants at least stay where you put them, even if upset. An angry 3-4 year old, OTOH, is a force to be reckoned with and could significantly delay boarding or disrupt other pax.
For teenagers and up I agree with you.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have never really understood the use of this policy anyway - I am quite happy to board early when I'm travelling alone (especially if HBO and space is an issue, or for long-haul premium cabins where I can get 30-40 minutes work done before push-back) - but when I'm travelling with the kids (two under 3) we always board absolutely plum last...we always have hold luggage with the kids anyway, so HBO space is not a real issue - and the less time I have to spend on a plane with the hyperactive two year old the better for everyone!

The idea of boarding extra early 'for the kids' just confuses me
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:43 am

Having benefited from boarding early when travelling with ankle-biters, I'm in favour of the policy. But, there does appear to be occasions when some staff dont get the memo. On a recent long haul flight the gate agents called for "families with children" to proceed with one agent actively walking around the gate area seeking out candidates. It became farcical when they began grabbing family groups with "children" taller than their parents and inviting them to board, some of whom looked older than me.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
As a father of a 2 and now just 6 year old, I feel that 5 is the max age the youngest kid should be for early boarding.

After that theres no real need for special requirements and they’re not going to get in the way of other boarding pax
wrp96 and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
right...but with infants you cannot book the exit row anyway, so the small bag you need for bottles etc. just goes under the seat in front? I don't find even having it in the locker above my seat is much good since you then end up jumping up and down about 60 times a flight to get XYZ, plus you're in a pickle if baby needs a bottle or similar whilst the seat belt signs are on...?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
It's people gaming the system. No different than the 57 wheelchairs in front of me on a QR DOH-ATL flight. People have no morals or class.
And then did they need wheelchairs getting off the plane as well or was this one of those ‘miracle flights’ where plane travel seems to cure many a disability as folks who fly New York City-Florida know well?

(I will admit to encouraging a few people who have relatively active elderly parents with language issues to have them book wheelchair assistance if they have to deal with connecting flights in confusing hubs)

EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:52 am

Try the seasonal holiday routes. Last year from Kalamata I boarded plumb last from group 1 -only about a dozen or so of us didn't have young families in tow.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltus
Stay in the lounge as long as possible, arrive at the gate 21 minutes before departure, and all of the children (small or otherwise) are already out of the way. Pick a seat in an exit row, so there is a 0% chance of a child sitting next to you. Use noise-isolating earphones as soon as the safety video is over. I love flying! ^
agree overall in what you say right up to the point you get to your exit seat and all the overhead space is taken
flatlander and Crofton138 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
agree overall in what you say right up to the point you get to your exit seat and all the overhead space is taken
In fairness, I’ve always found BA crews to be very good at ensuring other bags are rehoused to accommodate exit row passengers bags or, in extremis, offering to put bags in the front row wardrobe when boarding later.

Contrast that to other AAirlines that have a looser policy in this area:

Taken from a flight this past weekend. Would never swing on BA!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse

And then did they need wheelchairs getting off the plane as well or was this one of those ‘miracle flights’ where plane travel seems to cure many a disability as folks who fly New York City-Florida know well?

(I will admit to encouraging a few people who have relatively active elderly parents with language issues to have them book wheelchair assistance if they have to deal with connecting flights in confusing hubs)

I was one of the first few off of the plane, however I saw no more than a half a dozen wheelchairs waiting on the jetway to assist.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
As my username suggests, we have 4 children (aged between 1 and 7 incl twins). We are flying all together for the first time next Feb. (with another airline alas). However, my wife's preference is for us to be LAST on. We want as little time cooped up and without boredom having set in before we have even set off. Indeed, it's probably easier for others to get boarded without having little ones roaming into the aisles tripping them up.

Are we the only ones that feel this way? Is it more for the airline's benefit (can take a while getting belted up perhaps, and getting that buggy in the hold)
The question is whether you want your bags to be within grabbing distance. If you are sat at a bassinet/bulkhead seat, then you can't have anything on the floor, everything needs to go into the overhead lockers. On a full flight, if you board last, there's a very good chance that the lockers by your seat will be full, so you're going to be separated from your belongings. Unless you happily put your assorted belongings around the aircraft asap, and get the kids strapped down, then you're possibly going to be the ones not sat down when the aircraft needs to push back. (All that was witnessed first hand a few flights ago. Clearly they had run for a tight connection, so didn't plan on being last on, but the result was the same).

Originally Posted by GM1985
Contrast that to other AAirlines that have a looser policy in this area:

Taken from a flight this past weekend. Would never swing on BA!

I couldn't believe it the first time I sat in an exit row on AA and saw a deadheading crew shove her giant bag under the seat! I guess every airline has their own strange policies.
GM1985 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I was one of the first few off of the plane, however I saw no more than a half a dozen wheelchairs waiting on the jetway to assist.
Could've just meant that all the wheelchairs weren't there yet which has happened multiple times to my family and I, including last month when it took 45 minutes at ORD to get any wheelchairs at the plane.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by shefgab
The question is whether you want your bags to be within grabbing distance. If you are sat at a bassinet/bulkhead seat, then you can't have anything on the floor, everything needs to go into the overhead lockers. On a full flight, if you board last, there's a very good chance that the lockers by your seat will be full, so you're going to be separated from your belongings. Unless you happily put your assorted belongings around the aircraft asap, and get the kids strapped down, then you're possibly going to be the ones not sat down when the aircraft needs to push back. (All that was witnessed first hand a few flights ago. Clearly they had run for a tight connection, so didn't plan on being last on, but the result was the same).

I couldn't believe it the first time I sat in an exit row on AA and saw a deadheading crew shove her giant bag under the seat! I guess every airline has their own strange policies.
I can assure you it’s the Americans who find the European policies strange in this regard. No US carrier requires all bags to go in the overhead in an exit row given that a bag under the seat doesn’t block the exit.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MTJ Bound

I can assure you it’s the Americans who find the European policies strange in this regard. No US carrier requires all bags to go in the overhead in an exit row given that a bag under the seat doesn’t block the exit.
I'm fairly sure in a crash those bags will not still be neatly tucked underneath the seat in front.....
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I fully understand the logic of boarding families with young children first, but this should be limited to babies and very young children. From age 6/7 onwards, I don't think kids slow you or others down.
Crampedin13A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.