Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Differences between Business and First class that you value

Differences between Business and First class that you value

Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I do wonder; thinking about the ‘drinks services being the achilles heel of the new CW service ‘ thread , whether F will be more differentiated , in that the food and drink is served in a more joined up manner in F
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Don't you get a nice feeling of superiority when flying F?
No, mostly just a nice feeling of relief and relaxation. There could be a parade going down the aisle next to me and I wouldn't be disturbed. I can't say the same for CW, good as that is, since I'm usually in an aisle seat. (Mr. J gets the window.) Sleeping in F is much better. First wing has always been wonderfully empty when we've been there which also lowers the stress.
IAMORGAN and MareLuce like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
I would only choose F on a day time flight or on an early-is evening flight so as to enjoy to the max the soft product (which I have found in all of the eight F flights taken to be of consistently high standard). For a night flight I choose J as I can sleep equally well in that cabin and save on the cost and/or the Avios.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by JayeJ
No, mostly just a nice feeling of relief and relaxation. There could be a parade going down the aisle next to me and I wouldn't be disturbed. I can't say the same for CW, good as that is, since I'm usually in an aisle seat. (Mr. J gets the window.) Sleeping in F is much better. First wing has always been wonderfully empty when we've been there which also lowers the stress.
Youve put your finger on it - this resonates for me too. Its what I mean when I say that the overall product is greater than the sum of its constituent parts. I dont think you can really unbundle it and say:-
​​​​​​ F check in / Lounge worth x over J
- Bigger seat worth Y
- Dine on demand worth z

Because in doing so you miss the inherent value in having an overall more pleasant & relaxing overall journey on your wellbeing. Stepping off an F flight, its possible to feel pretty chilled; still possible further back, but on a sliding scale Id say!
MareLuce and JayeJ like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I do wonder; thinking about the drinks services being the achilles heel of the new CW service thread , whether F will be more differentiated , in that the food and drink is served in a more joined up manner in F
Well, on my last CW flight (BOS-LHR) last summer, I had to ask for wine and then again for a refill. However, after that the FA was great and just kept topping me up.

On my 1st first (LHR-JFK) at the end of Feb, the CC actively encouraged me to try all the wines on the wine list and made sure I was never dry, so I definitely noticed a big step up in first.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I mainly did it to show off to my older sister. She's a bit of a Hyacinth Bucket and has never flown in F as far as I know.
I had to look it up... "The sitcom follows Hyacinth in her attempts to prove her social superiority, and to gain standing with those she considers upper class."

Hysterical!
HIDDY, Sealink and EDIwanderer like this.

Last edited by MareLuce; Jun 11, 2019 at 2:39 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pennineuk
Benefits: dine on demand (although I feel this is emphasised less...don't be afraid to ask for it)
How does dine on demand work in First?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MareLuce
You tell the cabin crew when you want to eat. Advice....if you are eating out of cycle, i.e. main meals first, second meal later, make sure you tell them what you want in advance to save it. Also, I believe soup is loaded in a flask, so can be lukewarm at the end of a 10-14 hour journey.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Assuming that's not a trick question.....You tell them when you want to eat and they serve you at that time.

When I take advantage of that, typically before starting service at the pre-arranged time, the cabin crew will come and check that I'm ready to eat.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

So you have all menus for all meals at time of boarding?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:58 pm

Yep. You get a menu card with all the options there.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So you have all menus for all meals at time of boarding?
Yes - they're all in one booklet.

You can also dine on demand even if you're unsure whether or when you'll want to eat. I do this on the midnight departures from the Far East (eg HKG and SIN). I'll usually tell the crew that I'm going to go to bed straight away or nearly straight away, and ask whether it's OK to have some dinner in the middle of the night if I'm awake and I feel like something then. I will usually ask them not to save anything specially for me, because I don't know whether or not I will want a 3 am dinner and I wouldn't want to deprive someone else of something that they are awake for and do want - but I've not yet had a problem with this as there's always been something decent to eat if I've woken up early and decided to eat then.
HIDDY, MareLuce and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Overall the level of service in First is much higher than in Club World, in my experience.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
to echo LTN Phobia, the F seats (well, excluding 4E/F and 5E/F on the 747) have a significant amount of counter-top space to leave books/laptops/etc... CW has effectively zero surfaces to leave your clutter on.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by alexwuk
to echo LTN Phobia, the F seats (well, excluding 4E/F and 5E/F on the 747) have a significant amount of counter-top space to leave books/laptops/etc... CW has effectively zero surfaces to leave your clutter on.
I assume you're excluding the upper deck window seats on the 747.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jun 13, 2019 at 6:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.