Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Differences between Business and First class that you value

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Differences between Business and First class that you value

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
... and just to prove that we're all different, I actively choose J on the sleeper service from Chicago over F. (In fact, I just made an Avios redemption on BA294 on a 241 from the UK, and chose J even though there was F availability and the increase in cost would have been only ~10,000 Avios per person and no difference in fees). I don't eat or drink at all on that service, and my favourite place to sleep is 62A/K - loads of room, no one bothers you, v quiet and private, and the proximity to the emergency exits means that the sleeping area is quite cool.

If you are BAEC Gold or OWE, you get a lot of the advantages of F anyway (First class check in / First Wing at LHR; first class lounge access; free seat selection; etc.). When flying from LHR T3, you can access the best OneWorld lounge in the terminal regardless of your class of travel. Without status, I think I would value F far more than I currently do.
I think on a 747 this depends on UD or non-UD J. UD-J (particularly in the window seats) is pretty much as good to sleep in as F (in some ways better). As that's pretty much all I do TATL US->UK, and as I get CCR access anyway, I don't see a lot of advantages of F. But with no UD, or where you are actually awake and eating, F is a bit better. Not hugely, but a bit.

One advantage of F not described so far: when your flight gets cancelled / connections get missed, I'm pretty sure for any given CIV/status, F pax will be rerouted with higher priority than J pax.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Benefits:

dine on demand (although I feel this is emphasised less...don't be afraid to ask for it)
more flexible menu...I prefer two starters and don't really do desserts, so i will ask for two starters often...although having the courtesy to say 'but only if there are spare'
more personal storage space (this varies by plane type however)
CCR and other First dining options where you can get a decent meal and then maximise sleep on the plane, e.g. from Washington DC to LHR, I will have a good meal and sleep on the overnight flight

However, I am price sensitive and will try and get these benefits at a reasonable price differential. I would not pay for F service at any price.
MareLuce likes this.

Last edited by pennineuk; Jun 10, 2019 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm another regular CW traveller, and I've never paid for, or redeemed in First. For me it's just not worth it, by way of a counter-opinion to the entirely valid insights placed above. The big jump for me is WTP to CW, and since I'm a fan of the CW seat and the new catering, I am happy enough there. I do now accept free upgrades to First, whereas I used to be reluctant to do that on night flights on commuter routes. Someone would always be wanting to make the most of the experience.
T8191, stewaran, MareLuce and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
I would only choose F if I had to work. Despite being a ‘business’ class product, CW is not suitable for conducting business due to the small flimsy table.

I don’t care for lounges, turn up at the last minute, and go straight through North Fast track anyway at LHR. Each to their own - it can be what you want it to be.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Agree with a lot of the comments above, but the one that hasn't been mentioned and I LOVE is the buddy dining - the thing that Mrs BAECAddict and I enjoy most about a flight in F is being able to dine facing each other. I know you can currently sort of do this in CW, but actually having the table set up for two and then dine with a view is great fun. I should mention that this is best enjoyed on the A380 where there is LOADS of space and it also works quite well on the 777 which generally has enough space. The 747, at least rows 1 and 2, is a different matter and not recommended. We have avoided the 787 so far because the F seat doesn't have this option.

Otherwise, the better service, generally better food and drink and direct aisle access are all worth the extra plus CCR access is also a bit of a haven since the Flounge can get pretty busy at T5.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Hands down the best flight ever for me was F back from PVG. That was totally about the service (we were the only people in F that day); there was nothing 'first' about the airport experience (ie it was business class check-in, lounge etc).

But now I have experienced a few more flights in CW, I'm firmly in the CW-is-good-enough camp. Yet if there is avios redemption going west (or a day flight) I'll 100% take it. For me the very soft differences in the CCR to the First lounge (am Gold) and the onboard service level are worth the few extra avios. But would never pay cash.
T8191 and MareLuce like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
After our one and only family F experience, my mum said she preferred J, as she felt a bit “isolated” in F.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I like the PJ's..still use them when traveling , and of course my wife took my last pair.. and uses them along with the ones from Cathy
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by TravelManBiz

I thought that 98% ish of those flying F would at least have BA silver og OneWorld Sapphire status? So this would then not be so relevant?
You are probably right I am just in the 2%. With BA I fly a mix of cheap cash J fares upgraded to F or points bookings mostly in F. But even then it is not that many as I try to fly a mix of carriers out of necessity and/or curiosity. Thus I have never been more than Bronze with BA.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:08 am

Don't you get a nice feeling of superiority when flying F?
Jimmie76 and MareLuce like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz

I thought that 98% ish of those flying F would at least have BA silver og OneWorld Sapphire status? So this would then not be so relevant?
Actually not really. F is one of those cabins where a significant proportion of passengers don’t bother with FFPs and a large proportion of those paying full fare F will go for most convenient itinerary on an ad hoc way so you do have a fair number of people who never actually fly ba usually or do so without status.
MareLuce and DeathSlam like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
As someone that is not a fan of the BA J seat and setup the upgrade to F is just more space and a comfortable flight. If it was JFK to LHR.....not such a big deal. It is all about the seat and space for me and would be worth it on that flight for me.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:09 am

For me, if I want to travel in premium cabin in BA, F is the only option but I am happy with J as I care only about having a bed, nothing else matters. Unfortunately Austin has no McDonalds in the airport and I am unable to bring my own "food' to the F cabin
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Don't you get a nice feeling of superiority when flying F?
Well on the 747 when they hold back WTP until all of F is out, I feel a little embarrassed. Same when boarding early on the 777s when everyone walks past ; the looks you get are very much in the WDYTYA vein.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:14 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
After our one and only family F experience, my mum said she preferred J, as she felt a bit “isolated” in F.
This is very much like the debate between offices and no offices at work. Some people feel isolated by their offices, others enjoy the lack of distractions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.