Wiki Posts
Search

Silver member choosing seats in row one

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver
Silver member choosing seats in row one

I'm a Silver member and flying LBA - LHR - ARN in Club Europe in August with two family members.
At the moment, I have us assigned seats together in free rows further back in the cabin.
However, checking just now in Manage My Booking, I notice that row one is now suddenly available and I could move us there, even though the flight is still some time off.

My question: if I moved us to row one now, as only a Silver, would this "stick"? Or could we get bumped out of these seats and "scattered" among the remaining free seats in other rows if, say, Gold members booked any of the flights and wanted to sit in row one?

One of my party is an older person with slight mobility issues and so would probably appreciate being closer to the door and the front toilet.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I suspect if you try to do it MMB will error out.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Silvers in Row 1? Is this why we fought to free Europe?

Seriously, I don’t know the answer to the question, but as Gold we’ve never been presented with the opportunity to evict anyone in MMB. So I would guess your seat selections would stick. Go for it!

Wiser heads may advise differently. (Ah, KARFA has already! )
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver
Karfa is correct.
I tried it on another booking offering the same possibility and it threw up an error and didn't accept the change.
Thanks, question answered!
T8191, AnaTravel and Misco60 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Earlier this week another silver reported seeing row1 available on their upcoming trip, they could select thecseats but got an error when trying to save/confirn.

You are probably aeeing the same 'glitch'
pollycat and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by pollycat
Karfa is correct.
I tried it on another booking offering the same possibility and it threw up an error and didn't accept the change.
Same for me.

I was surprised earlier today when it showed row 1 available to me (a lowly silver) on some of my forthcoming short haul flights (but not all of them).

When I tried to jump into Row 1 I got the following:

''Sorry, we are unable to process your request. Please choose a different combination of seats. If the problem persists, please contact your local British Airways office''.

I put it down to the BA computer system's mysterious ways.
pollycat likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
If you wait until T-72 then try again if row 1 is still available

then they are open to Bronze / Silver seat selection
george77300, T8191 and pollycat like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:30 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
You are probably seeing the same 'glitch'
A glitch with BA's IT system. Sorry that is just not possible.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Question: the seat map shows "greyed out" seats, but without an X in the greyed out bit. Are the greyed out seats unavailable/taken? Are occupied seats shown with an X and greyed out? (same question asked two different ways). Thank you.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Not quite the same, but I was able to select bulkhead seats on a BA LH flight for next month which I didn’t think you could do as a silver until t-72?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Exact same has happened to myself. I’m Silver and have CE return booking towards the end of July. It’s been booked for several months and row 1 has been blocked out as per normal. A few days ago row one appeared to open up for selection however when trying to move into it I get an error message.

As mentioned above, row 1 normally does open up for selection for Silver, Bronze & Blue at T -72 hours. I find if you’re quick off the mark at exactly T-72 you can usually find free seats in row 1.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:30 am

Is T<72 dot on 72 hours before departure or is it from midnight? e.g flight departure Thu 1500, are you able select anytime after midnight Sun or is it 1500 Monday? Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
72 hours pretty much on the dot. so in you example 15:00on the Monday
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by pollycat
Karfa is correct.
There is a workaround, pollycat DM me if you wish.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
72 hours pretty much on the dot. so in you example 15:00on the Monday
I suspected so but thank you for the confirmation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.