Press Reader not available at LHR FLounge

Old Jun 8, 19, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold Onyx Platinum
Press Reader not available at LHR FLounge

Travelling out last Wednesday there was a miserable selection of UK newspapers - just The I and the Sun. In a short space of time I had started to really appreciate the Press Reader option taking up the lack of newspaper variety, which really needs improving.
After trying on two different devices I could only get the 'pay for' option. I was informed it had been out for a few days with no indication of a fix for the glitch.
Is it working now?
Old Jun 8, 19, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. At the time I put it down to my lack of tech expertise, but maybe I was being harsh on myself.

I often find that T5 GF has run out of newspapers (other than Sun, The i and some Chinese/Turkish publications). If you don't mind looking a bit like a vagrant, you can do what I do, which is to go to the stack of cleared up papers that the cleaners often deposit next to food trays (at various locations but I usually go to the area where the computer work stations and printers are located)- you will usually find a quality paper there.
Old Jun 8, 19, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Spire
Hi OP - had the same last week in the CCR - it came up as Air Canada - if you have Twitter PressReader will send you a link that will work. Hope itís fixed soon as I thought it was just a glitch on the day
Old Jun 8, 19, 4:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I got it to work today in CCR by using the link in the pre flight email. It's somewhat faster that way since you can use the lightning fast HAL Wi-Fi instead.
Old Jun 8, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I still get few pre-flight emails inviting me to use Pressreader - I've had one, back in November. Am I one of few or many?

What causes the sending of such emails, or the non-sending?

Do travel agency bookings affect this?
Old Jun 8, 19, 7:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I still get few pre-flight emails inviting me to use Pressreader - I've had one, back in November. Am I one of few or many?

What causes the sending of such emails, or the non-sending?

Do travel agency bookings affect this?
it should be included in the standard "It's time to fly" emails you get at 24 hours before. I think if you are quick at doing OLCI and do it at 24 hrs on the dot you don't get them.
Old Jun 8, 19, 7:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You are most likely to get them on BA 125 tickets where all the personal data is in the booking and you renewed your email address recently. So you may get them more regularly if you amend your BAEC email address and amend again back to the correct address. The reason being they amended their privacy policy wording after GDPR. You won't get the email, which is essentially a reminder to do OLCI, if you complete OLCI immediately after T-24. If you leave it for a bit then the email ought to arrive.
Old Jun 8, 19, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm on BA 125 tickets and usually I do have all my personal data in the booking, especially when I booked it on BA.com. Thanks for the hint about the email address, mine has not changed for a long time.

However now trying to amend my email address back to what it was has led me into "Error - The email address used must be unique. The email you provided has already been registered. Please enter a different email address and try again" despite various attempts and waiting some hours. Time to phone, I suspect :-/

< insert grumbling about the state of BA's IT >
Old Jun 8, 19, 6:51 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur View Post
The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. At the time I put it down to my lack of tech expertise, but maybe I was being harsh on myself.

I often find that T5 GF has run out of newspapers (other than Sun, The i and some Chinese/Turkish publications). If you don't mind looking a bit like a vagrant, you can do what I do, which is to go to the stack of cleared up papers that the cleaners often deposit next to food trays (at various locations but I usually go to the area where the computer work stations and printers are located)- you will usually find a quality paper there.
Nothing wrong with what you are doing, I would not "label" you a vagrant. I like recycling, cuts down fewer trees.^
Old Jun 9, 19, 8:30 pm

@flatlander this is the email I got today when OLCI opens - I hadn't been on to check in at 24 hours to go. At the bottom is the pressreader link

Old Mar 6, 20, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Raddison Rewards Gold
Haven't had the 'Ready to fly' email for a while now, but that's probably due to being a bit quick off the mark to OLCI at T-24.

Faced with LHR-BOM with Rockwell Collins IFE tomorrow thought I'd ring and see if they can send a Pressreader link to fill my boots with things to read in advance.

BA were very helpful, and told to email from the address used to make the booking to [email protected] to request a link.

Email sent at 16:33, link received at 16:40. Very impressed!

Last edited by MarcD; Mar 6, 20 at 3:47 pm
Old Mar 6, 20, 8:29 pm

When you are in the lounges at LHR it should automatically pick that up when you open the app so no need to rely on the link in the email.
Old Mar 7, 20, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Raddison Rewards Gold
Indeed but the BA Lounge Wi-Fi can be painfully slow, or non existent in some lounges (NCL was without it for a while), so wanted to download some stuff in advance.
Old Mar 7, 20, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by MarcD View Post
Indeed but the BA Lounge Wi-Fi can be painfully slow, or non existent in some lounges (NCL was without it for a while), so wanted to download some stuff in advance.
oh I see. Once the app is open on the lounge wifi and it has recognised that you can just swap to the airport WiFi or tether to a phone to do the downloading itself.
Old Mar 7, 20, 4:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA CCR, BA LTG, BA GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Plat Elite
If you register with your local UK public library (I think it's all UK public libraries), you get an account number and PIN to use in Pressreader, which then gives access to all publications (so far as I've ever tried) on any wifi/4g, globally, with no cost, so you don't need to rely on the pre-flight email link, the non recognition of Pressreader wifi hotspots (MAN) or the slow wifi (CCR). You just need to re-login every 30(?) days.
windowontheAside likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: