Bars open on the ground

Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Were you kept onboard for 4 hours, surely not?
My dad years ago was supposed to be on a 747 flight to BOM (Mumbai) to speak at a conference. When he boarded in F he was shown to his seat offered a drink and then from the flight deck came the news that there was a fault. The issue was in the avionics bay and it was assumed a quick fix. This proved to be incorrect and they were served dinner at least in F they were. Flight eventually cancelled a few hours after boarding and the CSD came round asking about rebooking to BOM. Dad said no point conference will be over by the time he got there. He was offered a hotel room which he declined saying he was going home to his own bed.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fotographer
We got nothing on a 4 hour delay a few weeks ago on LHR to PHL.... many passengers asked.. they kept saying something about taxes and waiting for approval..
which of course I understood as...' we are not going to pay the taxes so you lot can have a few rounds...'
This has nothing to do with BA's willingness to pay the taxes. It has to do with the fact that the alcohol on that flight is bonded and may not be open until the aircraft has departed LHR. The only exception is when BA has obtained permission, presumably due to a lengthy delay.

The other examples in this thread simply point to he fact that different countries have different rules. It goes without saying that the EDI-LHR issue is nonexistent because EDI is still in the UK.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Often1
The other examples in this thread simply point to he fact that different countries have different rules. It goes without saying that the EDI-LHR issue is nonexistent because EDI is still in the UK.
​​​​​​...for now. 😉
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Were you kept onboard for 4 hours, surely not?
At LAX earlier this year we had a three hour delay on the tarmac (that turned into a 6-hour delay) and they served all the meals but with no alcohol. It was a 9pm scheduled departure so it would have been very unsatisfactory if they had made everyone wait till 3am to get their dinner. [the delay was caused by two punctures which necessitated changing out 4 wheels on an A380, at about 80-90 minutes a wheel]

At 4 hours we were told we could leave the plane if we wanted, but there was no indication of where one would be able to go, since we were in a holding area, not at a gate.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
This has nothing to do with BA's willingness to pay the taxes. It has to do with the fact that the alcohol on that flight is bonded and may not be open until the aircraft has departed LHR. The only exception is when BA has obtained permission, presumably due to a lengthy delay.

They were serving bubbles, which of course my wife enjoyed... and yes the FA said they had asked for permission, about 90 minutes into the delay (mechanical and then passenger medical issues) and then nothing for the reminder of a 4 hour delay
The FA's did open up the snack boxes , all my would have liked is a nice G and T... sadly for me I dont do bubbles, and there is only so much tea and coffee you can have.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 8, 2019 at 11:37 am Reason: Repair quotation frame

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.