Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting BA11 Departure [Speed & Altitude outbound from LHR] 30th May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Exec Club

Just got back from a short holiday in SIN. Flew out on the 30th May and had, what I think was a rather unique experience departure wise. Took-off to the west, and turned left almost 180 degrees towards Maidstone. Climb stopped at 6000ft and speed went up to above 300kts. We were just above the clouds and the sense of speed was pretty amazing. We didn't start climbing until abeam Maidstone. Must admit, though we might have had a problem! I've flown quite a bit on the BA11/12 combo and have never experienced anything like that. Well, not exactly true - first time I ever flew was LHR to SIN on a British Eagle Britannia and I suspect that had a very slow climb rate!

Also - anybody knows why BA12 on the 3rd June was delayed 13 hours. Was visiting the Changi Jewel and saw it on the departure boards as BA12D - just interested.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to (posting on) FT, Zippo58!
Originally Posted by Zippo58
Also - anybody knows why BA12 on the 3rd June was delayed 13 hours. Was visiting the Changi Jewel and saw it on the departure boards as BA12D - just interested.
British Airways A380 G-XLEB Operates Delayed Singapore Rotation. | The BA Source indicates that there must have been some problem that resulted in BA11 on 2 June being delayed overnight (for about 19 hours in the end).

As to your experience, I love it when scudding along just over the tops at a relatively low level like that. The experts will be able to confirm whether or not my impression is correct, but I have a dim recollection that 6,000 feet may be the default altitude to stay beneath the airspace used for arriving aircraft. Normally, ATC seems to be able to find a gap to get departing aircraft up earlier than that, but if there was no viable gap on the day then that may have resulted in you having to be kept to 6,000 feet.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Globaliser
As to your experience, I love it when scudding along just over the tops at a relatively low level like that. The experts will be able to confirm whether or not my impression is correct, but I have a dim recollection that 6,000 feet may be the default altitude to stay beneath the airspace used for arriving aircraft. Normally, ATC seems to be able to find a gap to get departing aircraft up earlier than that, but if there was no viable gap on the day then that may have resulted in you having to be kept to 6,000 feet.
Yes 6000ft is the initial cleared altitude on the standard departures from LHR (the Mayfield departures may be the exception at 5000ft I think). The one for the BA11 that day looks like a Detling departure and, unless instructed otherwise which you noted they often are, you climb to 6000ft and stay at that altitude all the way to Detling (just on the outskirts of Maidstone).
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Interesting - thanks guys. Have to say - the speed at which the clouds went by was exhilarating!
so3003 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Welcome to FT

Yes 6000ft is the initial cleared altitude on the standard departures from LHR (the Mayfield departures may be the exception at 5000ft I think). The one for the BA11 that day looks like a Detling departure and, unless instructed otherwise which you noted they often are, you climb to 6000ft and stay at that altitude all the way to Detling (just on the outskirts of Maidstone).
I live a couple of miles from Detling and we do get quite a few low passes especially in the evenings, the louder ones always get me looking at FR24 and yes they are usually at 6000ft.

Spike
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:50 am

- first time I ever flew was LHR to SIN on a British Eagle Britannia and I suspect that had a very slow climb rate!
That jogged a memory.
I recall flying in a British Eagle Brittania from LHR - the terminal was a stone's throw from Harrods. It re-fuelled at Kuwait and Colombo (and possibly Istanbul )
before eventually arriving at Paya Lebar, Singapore's civil airport at the time.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BA
I have been on plenty of shorthaul that stay around 6000ft until towards the Southeast of London. I believe that the departures stay at 6000ft to allow the traffic coming in to Heathrow from the South to pass above at 7000ft
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Poster

I think (I was very young at the time) that there was a terminal at Victoria? We went Istanbul - Bombay - Paya Lebar. Its really strange that I can remember that, but it was the first time I ever flew, so thats probably why it stuck! Coming back was BCAL 707 to LGW via somewhere in the middle east. Sorry not very BA related so before I get told off .....
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think (I was very young at the time) that there was a terminal at Victoria?
Yes, there was. I think that it was in this building. That ramp may even have been used by the buses that shuttled passengers to/from Heathrow.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
There was also the West London Air Terminal, at which my Universal Aunts would deposit me before I flew out to join the folks.

Now there are 2 references which really date me
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:42 am

If left on the SID track off 27L/R, any traffic holding at OCK and/or BIG may preclude climb above 6,000ft until east of BIG.

In order to get climb a bit quicker, if the traffic allows (what's happening around Gatwick), a south easterly heading may be given off the SID track at EPM with a left turn to the east to resume the correct direction towards DVR or thereabouts in due course.

Bar unusual circumstances or specific procedures, no tactical deviation from the SID track allowed till above 4,000ft assuming nothing's changed recently.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fitch
There was also the West London Air Terminal, at which my Universal Aunts would deposit me before I flew out to join the folks.
And for the curious, that was in this building.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thanks for your story there and allow me to welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA Board Zippo58 ^

Funnily enough on a flight to LAX in December I had a similar thing after taking off as we levelled out, not sure what the flight level was, but we were zooming along just literally above the clouds. I really enjoyed it too.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by PETER01
Thanks for your story there and allow me to welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA Board Zippo58 ^

Funnily enough on a flight to LAX in December I had a similar thing after taking off as we levelled out, not sure what the flight level was, but we were zooming along just literally above the clouds. I really enjoyed it too.
pedant. It wouldn’t have been a flight level. /pedant

Edit: actually. I take that back. It might have been. Transition altitude around London is 6000’ I believe.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Transition altitude around London is 6000’ I believe.
The chart prescribes 6,000 feet as what you need to fly, so I infer from this also being the transition altitude that you'd change to flight levels upon climbing from 6,000 feet.
gliderpilot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.