Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting BA11 Departure [Speed & Altitude outbound from LHR] 30th May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting BA11 Departure [Speed & Altitude outbound from LHR] 30th May

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Zippo58
I think (I was very young at the time) that there was a terminal at Victoria? We went Istanbul - Bombay - Paya Lebar. Its really strange that I can remember that, but it was the first time I ever flew, so thats probably why it stuck! Coming back was BCAL 707 to LGW via somewhere in the middle east. Sorry not very BA related so before I get told off .....
Yes, there were two terminals in Victoria - the BOAC terminal (which is surely a listed building) in Buckingham Palace Road, opposite Victoria Coach Station.
Also, British United Airways had a terminal, later inherited by British Caledonian, above the platforms on Victoria Station- handy for the train to Gatwick but I remember getting bussed to a pretty basic Stansted Airport from there. An interminable journey in pre-M11 days.,
When I flew British Eagle, it was a bus to LHR from Knightsbridge Air Terminal in Knightsbridge Place, a side street off Knightsbridge

Apologies for the thread drift.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by KARFA
Welcome to FT

Yes 6000ft is the initial cleared altitude on the standard departures from LHR (the Mayfield departures may be the exception at 5000ft I think). The one for the BA11 that day looks like a Detling departure and, unless instructed otherwise which you noted they often are, you climb to 6000ft and stay at that altitude all the way to Detling (just on the outskirts of Maidstone).
We flew out from LGW on the 30th as well and experienced the same fun of zooming and just being above the clouds. Sounds like a combination of a sharp cloud transition just below 6000 gave this view. We departed to the west and turned round to the east. fantastic takeoff pictures...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.