Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Which US Airports Don't Accept BA Mobile Boarding Passes?

Old Jun 6, 19, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold

I am curious if there's a list of airports in the US where you cannot use mobile boarding passes? Specifically I am referring to being unable to use them at the gate when boarding, and not at TSA for example.

Recently when flying out of PHX and ORD there were announcements stating that mobile BPs would not be accepted and passengers with mobile / electronic BPs would need to come to the desk to get a printed BP.

Is this a technological limitation or something else?

Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
AFAIK it's not airport specific, but that sometimes they need to revert to paper for various reasons (practice? system issues?) but will then again allow mobile BPs once the reason is past/resolved.
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:36 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
The list of places where they're accepted is here. Not entirely up to date, mind.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-mobile#mobile
Old Jun 6, 19, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
Except that both Phoenix and Chicago are listed on the BA website as being places where they are accepted and yet they don't seem to be - even though you can get a mobile boarding pass for the purposes of TSA etc.
Old Jun 6, 19, 5:15 pm

What is clear is that BA need a passport/visa check for many passengers heading to the UK from the US.

It’s also clear that it's easy to do this for passengers who check in at a desk. It’s less easy to do this for connecting passengers or those who check-in online.

At some airports, DFW is an example, they call those passengers that need verification to the gate by name.
I wonder if this is a more discreet way to carry this out. It’s interesting that you’ve noticed this at two AA hubs which probably have lots of connecting passengers.
Old Jun 6, 19, 5:57 pm

At San Diego you can clear security and access the lounge with a mobile boarding pass. At the gate they won’t accept it though, and you have to go to the podium and have your passport checked. They were doing this for everyone earlier this week, even those connecting from AA with AA issued boarding passes.
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by spanishflea View Post
At San Diego you can clear security and access the lounge with a mobile boarding pass. At the gate they won’t accept it though, and you have to go to the podium and have your passport checked. They were doing this for everyone earlier this week, even those connecting from AA with AA issued boarding passes.
I'll be doing this via this next week - coming in on AA connecting to BA at PHX for LHR. It'll be an AA codeshare - will AA do my passport check at my origin or will I still need to do it in PHX?
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am sure this is a reference to the API check, and process wise BA ground agents often present the traveller with a printed boarding pass after FLY has been updated. Both PHX and ORD allow app boarding passes to get to the gate, but if HBO you need to do the API update at the gate, takes a few seconds. At ORD it can be done in the two BA lounges. Agents don't like doing this during boarding so they PA people before boarding. It's not that the self made boarding passes are wrong, it's just the passport scan hasn't been added to FLY if you didn't go to check-in. Indirect cause and effect.
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I'll be doing this via this next week - coming in on AA connecting to BA at PHX for LHR. It'll be an AA codeshare - will AA do my passport check at my origin or will I still need to do it in PHX?
Probably both places, but it depends.

Search this Thread