Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“On time” departure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:09 am

“Exceptionally full” means full, but in our experience this is not usually the case for this particular flight. Tomorrow it won’t be full, and nor was it yesterday.

Language evolves, sometime fast and sometimes slowly, and if you’re a native speaker say what you want and ignore the curmudgeonly old pedants.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
One of the few benefits of advanced years is the entitlement [and indeed expectation] of being a curmudgeonly old pedant.
Greenpen, lhrsfo and Geordie405 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Curmudgeonly old pedants do not use smilies.
Greenpen, JAXBA, T8191 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Nor, indeed, should anyone aspiring to the status of adulthood.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:11 am

Smile

Originally Posted by djbenedict
Nor, indeed, should anyone aspiring to the status of adulthood.
They are fine on WhatsApp. Perhaps the thread needs transferring there where we can smile to our heart's content. I read smilies as similes and thought the conversation was getting serious
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
😍😍😍😍 so that does not mean me? Wonderful. I love you even more.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Language evolves, sometime fast and sometimes slowly, and if you’re a native speaker say what you want and ignore the curmudgeonly old pedants.
Did you mean to say "sometimes quickly and sometimes slowly"? </pedant>
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz

que pasa

Since this is already fairly OT I’ll offer that I was told by someone that cares about such things that US spelling is closer to older English than UK spelling, as the u for example in colour arrived via the French.
Not to mention that American English retains good old Anglo-Saxon words like 'fall' and 'slaughterhouse' which in British English have been replaced by the frenchified "autumn" and "abbatoir." Snobbery on this subject is just so tiresome, and people really need to realize that there's more to language beyond what their prescriptivist secondary school teacher taught them.
:D! likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Mordac
Originally Posted by dougzz
Since this is already fairly OT I’ll offer that I was told by someone that cares about such things that US spelling is closer to older English than UK spelling, as the u for example in colour arrived via the French.
Not to mention that American English retains good old Anglo-Saxon words like 'fall' and 'slaughterhouse' which in British English have been replaced by the frenchified "autumn" and "abbatoir." Snobbery on this subject is just so tiresome, and people really need to realize that there's more to language beyond what their prescriptivist secondary school teacher taught them.
Isn't that what British English has done? That is to say, it has refused to be prescriptive and instead has evolved over time with changing fashions and usages - while American English is, relatively speaking, more like a fossilised 17th-century language?

What is very funny is when an American English speaker starts berating British English for being linguistically stuck in the mud and refusing to update for modern times. That's sort of getting it the wrong way around.
:D! and djbenedict like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I blame the Americans for the introduction of 'outside of'.
I blame the English for 'quite unique'.
I blame the French for most other things.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
I'm particularly aggrieved by the Australian predilection to declare thay have had "3 serves". Meaning they have had three servings or portions of something...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't that what British English has done? That is to say, it has refused to be prescriptive and instead has evolved over time with changing fashions and usages - while American English is, relatively speaking, more like a fossilised 17th-century language?

What is very funny is when an American English speaker starts berating British English for being linguistically stuck in the mud and refusing to update for modern times. That's sort of getting it the wrong way around.
Both varieties of English have evolved, just in different ways. I was just pointing out the irony of people thinking American English is somehow at fault for "innovations" when in some ways it's more conservative than British English. For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think either of them is 'better.'

Originally Posted by T8191
I blame the Americans for the introduction of 'outside of'.
Of course the Scots 'outwith' is vastly superior. However, since the English seem reluctant to use it, I'm not sure what you'd propose as an alternative when used as a preposition.
EDIwanderer likes this.

Last edited by Mordac; Jun 7, 2019 at 5:57 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
BA English has often involved self-congratulatory announcements about arriving early, only to sit on the tarmac for 20 minutes +, and parking late.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer

I’m with you. I’ll reach out to discuss a plan.
Only if you're with the Four Tops!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
Only if you're with the Four Tops!
Indeed, that is the only excuse for "reaching out". Regarding the re-education piece, let's sync up on that sometime next week?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.