Community
Wiki Posts
Search

46kg of carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:07 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Here's my creative contribution for the day ...

A pre-WWI Singer sewing machine (needle missing) with a full (not hollow) cast iron arm, needle plate and "portable" wooden base, clocks in at 19 kg. With packaging foam and a few towels I added for additional padding to the fragile bits, my duffle clocked in at just under 21 kg for one bag.

It's also possible to fill a carry on roll-aboard with 24 kg of baking chocolate from Brussels, Bruges, etc...
T8191 and squawk like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:33 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I'd never realised that either could weigh 23kg. What I do think is that the person bringing their hand luggage aboard must be able to get it in the overhead locker themselves. It's not fair to rely on other passengers to do so, and I do not see why crew member should not refuse if they are concerned about back injury.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:36 am

It's what makes BA the photographer's favorite airline.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by chucko
It's what makes BA the photographer's favorite airline.
This!

I always struggle with airlines that give a 5kg or 7kg allowance. Especially when one of my lenses weighs nearly 5kg alone

I have to admit, the hand luggage allowance is one of the positives about BA and something I'm grateful for.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Travelling with a case of 200 x 7” vinyl records can weigh up to 21kg and always has to be opened at security for the same reason as books (too dense).
Handily the case itself fits neatly into the luggage sizer
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
What is the maximum load for the overhead bins?
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I don’t know...but it would be great if the weight could sometimes accommodate my seat neighbour as I’d stuff them overhead
babats likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I have seen stickers on some that say 80 lbs
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC
I've got a query with how the hand luggage weight limits are applied once you've commenced your journey, where your flights are on two carriers.

I'm flying LHR - SIN - BNE on Dec 26th. Flying in F on BA015 so have the allowance of 2 hand luggage bags up to 23kg each, which I don't suppose I'll get anywhere near. However I'm then flying from Singapore to Brisbane on QF052/BA7455, where it states I can still take 2 bags but only up to 7kg each.

Given that I'll already been checked in at LHR and it's a through ticket, are they likely to weigh my hand luggage bags at any stage? I know security screening is done at the gate in Singapore. But I don't remember them weighing bags, just screening them.

This is my "emigration" flight to Australia, so my hand luggage is likely to be pretty full and I was anticipating enjoying BA's very generous weight allowance, now I'm worried about the flight with Qantas - can anyone shed any light on the likelihood of my having an issue
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I have seen stickers on some that say 80 lbs
Given that one person can bring 102lbs that seems very little.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Angekins
I've got a query with how the hand luggage weight limits are applied once you've commenced your journey, where your flights are on two carriers.

I'm flying LHR - SIN - BNE on Dec 26th. Flying in F on BA015 so have the allowance of 2 hand luggage bags up to 23kg each, which I don't suppose I'll get anywhere near. However I'm then flying from Singapore to Brisbane on QF052/BA7455, where it states I can still take 2 bags but only up to 7kg each.

Given that I'll already been checked in at LHR and it's a through ticket, are they likely to weigh my hand luggage bags at any stage? I know security screening is done at the gate in Singapore. But I don't remember them weighing bags, just screening them.

This is my "emigration" flight to Australia, so my hand luggage is likely to be pretty full and I was anticipating enjoying BA's very generous weight allowance, now I'm worried about the flight with Qantas - can anyone shed any light on the likelihood of my having an issue
You might be in trouble. I went OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD-PER and all went well until SYD where QF promptly weighed my rollaboard and insisted on checking it as hand baggage was only allowed 7 KG.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

This is something that has worried me for a long time. You see in overhead lockers a plate with a weight limit, and you also see large rollaboards going into the lockers.

I have not read of anyone ever being hit by collapsing lockers in an emergency / flying hand luggage so assume it’s all fine and somebody somewhere has really thought about it. Post events such as Grenfell though it does make you wonder!

easyjet limit their aircraft to 70 items i believe.

On a slightly related note, I believe takeoff performance data is based on assumed weight of customers and their luggage. I’ve often idly wondered whether flights to / from certain destinations are likely to have a high number of customers over the assumed weight. Again, I guess in the grand scheme of things it makes no difference...but a densified A321 going out of somewhere hot and high totally full with 100kg passengers each carrying 46kg of hand luggage would be totally within procedures as I understand it!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
a densified A321 going out of somewhere hot and high totally full with 100kg passengers each carrying 46kg of hand luggage would be totally within procedures as I understand it!
Fingers crossed that BA doesn't decide to sell tickets to the next Fast Food and Photography Conference in La Paz...
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon

They do say to put heavier things on the floor and lighter things in the overhead. It's highly unlikely that each passenger will bring 50lbs of carryon though.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by zeebanker
Guilty as charged! My very first BA flight (over 25 years ago), I was a grad student and packed a canvas duffle and a backpack to max allowable weight with books. The security guy at the x-ray asked me if I was smuggling books. The cabin crew had a laugh (one guy even called me a "silly bugger" because I was struggling to go up the stairs to the upper deck with something like 90lbs) and checked the duffle for me. All in jest, but you get the picture.

Oh, back then they had economy on the upper deck. The horror! The inhumanity!! The travails of all the C and F passengers, and the indignity of having to sit below some Y butts
Ahaha, same boat here. I did 60kg worth of hand luggage back in the 90's on a transcontinental flight (with SQ I believe). Calculated the hold luggage to be no more than 25kg (out of 23) because that was the only one I knew they would weigh. Duffle bag full to the brim with books a lot heavier than my hold luggage (why hadn't they invented roller bags yet!), backpack cracking at the seams, and maybe 2-3 fully stuffed plastic bags.

Total of 85kg hauled over on my own... couldn't do it now and still surprised I managed to do it then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.