Search

Stolen from luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Stolen from luggage

Hi all,

Flew back from MAD on BA last night. I have opened my luggage this morning to find it’s been gone through and 3 cartons of cigarettes have been stolen.

Unisually i I wasn’t travelling with my tumi which has a lock as it is as a very short trip.

I assume there is nothing at all I can do about this? Does anyone have any experience with claiming similar things with BA?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Is three Cartons of cigarettes above the duty free allowance?

edit. Just looked up It's 800.
freQ likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no duty free allowance from EU (well I believe it's capped at around 16 cartons)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Coincidentally Mrs Yorkieflyer had the strap cut off her hard samsonite case and the bag had been rummaged through at Manchester before the E190 to ALC last week. Inside was a picture frame which was damaged as the back had been pulled off. I put it down to over zealous security but perhaps not? She doesn’t think anything was missing but who knows exactly what was packed
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You need to report it. Not least because there may be an ongoing investigation and they need some information / patterns to track.

I would go through the process of claiming for it, in the usual way via ba.com/baggage , though it may turn a bit murky, and maybe insurance would be a better approach. And you may need some sort of police related paperwork for that. Under the Montréal Convention, there is certainly a reading which puts the airline on the hook here, equally there are clauses which BA can use to say that it happened when outside BA's control. There are tight timelines here, so don't hang about.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Coincidentally Mrs Yorkieflyer had the strap cut off her hard samsonite case and the bag had been rummaged through at Manchester before the E190 to ALC last week. Inside was a picture frame which was damaged as the back had been pulled off. I put it down to over zealous security but perhaps not? She doesn’t think anything was missing but who knows exactly what was packed

Just out of curiosity, did this bag have a lock on it?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Well I have just got off the phone to BA, they have reimbursed me for half the cost as I didn't have a receipt but that's not a bad result. Obviously the annoying thing is the replacement cost in this country is somewhat higher!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Just out of curiosity, did this bag have a lock on it?
the bag wasn’t locked, key misplaced but the strap had a combination lock which was set and secured through handle tightly
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:18 am
Suspended

allowance is 800 cigarets but if You see on monitors at arrivals belts...it's unlimited just curiuos what will do customs officer if you point it out...with Your more than 800 cig....
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
There is no 'allowance' within EU, as long as it's for personal consumption you can bring whatever amount you want. Just be ready to prove it's for you or as gift, not for resale.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
There is no 'allowance' within EU, as long as it's for personal consumption you can bring whatever amount you want. Just be ready to prove it's for you or as gift, not for resale.
Exceptions .... Canary Islands are in SPAIN which is part of EU, however they have different taxation rules and EU does apply duty free allowances ... I believe it’s 200 Cigarretes.

So if the OP was coming from Gran Canaria, they would not be allowed 3 cartons. Nevertheless the theft from the bag without customs intervention is wrong. also how many cartons was the OP carrying .... they only mention that 3 cartons were missing.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:10 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
After having a locked bag trashed by security I never lock mine anymore. I thought I didn't leave anything of significant value in it, but if thieves are prepared to nick a few cigs then maybe there *is* stuff in my luggage of value, like a bottle of booze.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
If customs had gone through the bag, wouldn't they leave a card inside to say so? Whenever I have had a bag opened by the TSA in the USA they leave a piece of paper inside saying the bag has been officially opened.
Geordie405, SK and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:52 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jagboi
If customs had gone through the bag, wouldn't they leave a card inside to say so? Whenever I have had a bag opened by the TSA in the USA they leave a piece of paper inside saying the bag has been officially opened.
Can't recall ever having had one, although bag has been 'disturbed' at least 3 times with nothing missing (other than a functioning lock on one occasion). They were all *to* the US.
There are a lot of threads on this on FT and I'm not sure if policy has changed over time and/or whether having a TSA approved lock makes a difference.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
This is what the TSA leaves in your bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.