vomit on a seat (news story)

Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Every seat pocket should have a sick bag
Why can't people just use them as intended?

if a parent is travelling with a child who suffers from motion sickness, it is human nature to check on their well being throughout the journey.

its an airplane, not Witherspoons on a friday night!
​​​​​
jacca83 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wong Jnr

What bothers me about this BA incident is why didn't the person who created this vomit alert the crew? That would've at least created a log somewhere I hope for it to be attended too on turnaround, if not by the crew there and then
It doesn't even look as if the vomitter has even attempted to clean it up themselves. That is the most disgusting part of this story I find...
We dont know that they didnt. Maybe the information passes between areas within BA with the same management and follow up that oversaw the CS response. Like all these incidents we know little, other than the bits reported, we dont really know what happened to get there. We do know BA put someone in a seat that they hadnt cleaned vomit from.

I dont fly enough different airlines to offer much, what I can say in my limited travels is on BA sticky spills in places like the 747 UD window storage is not unusual.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HMPS

I would have demanded a move even to F if CW was full or a downgrade to lesser class with a FULL refund or a DIVERSION !
Demanded a diversion? I would love to have seen the Captain's face when informed of your demands. Revolting though it is, this is hardly a medical emergency. Demanding things is something that is easy to say after the event, from what I read here people say little or nothing at the time. I'm not quite sure what the crew could have done except move him other than cover it with a blanket. I doubt that anything on board would have cleaned that after it had dried. I also suspect that it might have been someone with limited English who was embarrassed to say anything - but this is sheer conjecture.

The part that I find difficult to understand is why it took so long for Customer Services to respond. I complained about another matter which was far less serious than this. I completed the form on line and within 48 hours I had a call and an email with compensation. The trouble is that we are only party to what is printed not a chronology of who wrote what to whom

This aircraft was clearly not being inspected sufficiently before the cleaning was complete. I would have been furious had that been my seat as this would not have come to light until after take-off. Do we know if the flight was full
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by crazyegg
I once spilt some red wine on a BA A380 (upstairs, Economy, window, bulkhead). It was on top of, and ran into, the side storage compartment.

I was embarrassed and did my best to clean it up with paper towel but it was dark, I was tired, and didnt do the best job.

Anyhow, point being, fast forward 3 months and I found myself on the same aircraft, same seat, and you can probably guess the rest.

My red wine spill was still there to greet me inside the compartment as I opened the lid :-)
That's beyond belief...
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
If I saw that on my seat I would have informed the cabin crew, if another seat in the same or higher class cannot be found I would require significant compensation to fly in economy. Perhaps, a $5000 voucher or I will deplane and make them take my luggage off.
moondog and HMPS like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Demanded a diversion? I would love to have seen the Captain's face when informed of your demands. Revolting though it is, this is hardly a medical emergency. Demanding things is something that is easy to say after the event, from what I read here people say little or nothing at the time. I'm not quite sure what the crew could have done except move him other than cover it with a blanket. I doubt that anything on board would have cleaned that after it had dried. I also suspect that it might have been someone with limited English who was embarrassed to say anything - but this is sheer conjecture.

The part that I find difficult to understand is why it took so long for Customer Services to respond. I complained about another matter which was far less serious than this. I completed the form on line and within 48 hours I had a call and an email with compensation. The trouble is that we are only party to what is printed not a chronology of who wrote what to whom

This aircraft was clearly not being inspected sufficiently before the cleaning was complete. I would have been furious had that been my seat as this would not have come to light until after take-off. Do we know if the flight was full
YES demanded in absence of any other remedies except insinuating that the pax vomited or just provide a blanket and nothing else.
Do see Post 30 upstream for some lessons in FAST service recovery.

Demand of a diversion can be based on whether the vomit presents any bio hazard..... (of course no one can confirm nor deny the possibility).it is also to highlight what I think of it and to indicate immediate fix......instill a sense of seriousness & urgency. Yes can be dismissed here by us all armchair pundits of what MAY have /was tried. Mere conjectures unless an authoritative explanation from BA tells us otherwise.
As can be interpreted from some posts upstream ( red wine, ) other threads and posts we have seen re how dirty BA planes are....BA personnel are starting to treat dirt, stains, vomit etc as problems that do not need urgent or thorough attention.
Correct such shortfalls in service delivery and BA can return to the claims of "World's Premium Airline" .
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
If I saw that on my seat I would have informed the cabin crew, if another seat in the same or higher class cannot be found I would require significant compensation to fly in economy. Perhaps, a $5000 voucher or I will deplane and make them take my luggage off.
So would I Love, but unless my eyes deceive me this was not on his seat, it was on the foot rest. That would have been folded on his arrival at his seat, and almost certainly would have remained so until the aircraft was airborne. Thus it was missed by everybody. By that time the list of choices narrows as far as what can be done from a practical point of view. If everywhere else is occupied, where can you move anyone? If the aircraft is not at the gate, flouncing off the aircraft is not on the cards. I do not doubt that he would have refused to sit there had this come to light before departure. The problem is that this is where the trail of facts runs cold for now. My guess is that it would have been full as they could not move him.

What I intend to do in future is to check the footrests to see if they contain any noxious stains. The seat and surrounding area I can see for myself. I bet that several here will do likewise.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:44 am

The Original link to the newspaper article states..

about two hours into the British Airways flight when I popped down the foot stool so I could get some sleep and saw the vomit on the seat.

so the puke was on the seat not footrest

i would refuse to sit there and if no alternative seating available more than happy to switch with a cabin crew member and spend the duratuon of the flight in a jump seat.

rather that than sitting in someone else's puke.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:47 am

And the picture in the article shows the footrest.
PUCCI GALORE and alex67500 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
The Original link to the newspaper article states..

about two hours into the British Airways flight when I popped down the foot stool so I could get some sleep and saw the vomit on the seat.

so the puke was on the seat not footrest

i would refuse to sit there and if no alternative seating available more than happy to switch with a cabin crew member and spend the duratuon of the flight in a jump seat.

rather that than sitting in someone else's puke.
No, the vomit was on the footstool; the photograph in the newspaper confirms this.

The footstool in Club World is more than just a footrest - it's more like the footstool you might have in front of your sofa at home, and folds down from the wall in front of you.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:01 am

I stand corrected

Clearly need to get out (of Europe) more 😋

So if the vomit was on the stool, why fold it down...

​​​​​if no alternative seating was available leave it folded up as if it was damaged or out of service.

Then the passenger would not have got dried sick on his clothing.

and supply him with a large batch of Avios as compensation.

​​​​
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:02 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
What bothers me about this BA incident is why didn't the person who created this vomit alert the crew?
I can assure you that no one needs to tell the crew that a passenger got sick. The entire aircraft is immediately aware.
moondog, HMPS and rickg523 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Fatdickie

So if the vomit was on the stool, why fold it down...
​​​​
It forms part of the bed, so if you want the lie flat to sleep then you need to fold down the foot stool. That's when the vomit was spotted I believe.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
This thread has now been highlighted as a "lead" story on the FT landing page.
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/b...ways-seat.html
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I can't wait for this thread to not be the lead BA thread....seeing " vomit on a seat" every time I open FT is grossing me out. ( And I haven't even read the thread)
EDIwanderer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.