Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When to purchase seats

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

When to purchase seats

I am AA Gold Member (soon to be gone) and booked through AA on BA in Club World in September. When is the best time to purchase seats on the 744 upper deck?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Grab your seats for free now - and hope they hang around - put your AA number in the booking
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Grab your seats for free now - and hope they hang around - put your AA number in the booking
The OP isn't flying until September, so can't get pre-allocation for free at the moment.
Originally Posted by thoward8111
I am AA Gold Member (soon to be gone) and booked through AA on BA in Club World in September. When is the best time to purchase seats on the 744 upper deck?
You should be able to pay for seat pre-allocation at any time after your booking is ticketed. The best time for doing this is when there's a seat available that you're prepared to pay for.

Remember that only a limited selection of seats is available if you need to pay: 60B (on some flights), 63AB, 63JK and 64B. The others will not become available until you can select for free, whether in advance by reason of status or booking class, or because you're doing it via online check-in. 64A is a bassinet position, so is often very difficult to get in advance by any means.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Hi,

The OP is AA Gold ( Oneworld Ruby ) so free seat selection will only be at T-7 days.

To the OP- I would probably book the seat now if you want an upper deck as the upper deck is popular and if you have OW Sapphire or Emerald you can book the seats well in advance ( which route are you on? )

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Oh wow! Sorry for the duff info ! Didn't realise Gold was so lowly
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I would do it now if you want to secure an UD seat. A limited number of them are released for sale, and you may find the UD full when you're able to select a seat for free.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Agree - there's no sense in waiting, the seats will only be snapped up and will never become cheaper....unless you are prepared to wait until 7 days before departure and hope something on the Upper Deck is still available...which it may well not be, depending on route.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:11 am
m44

Programs: USAir
My friends, after seeing the steep narrow stairs to the upper deck on BA, changed their seats to downstairs.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by m44
My friends, after seeing the steep narrow stairs to the upper deck on BA, changed their seats to downstairs.
I still cope at nearly 75, but that’s a personal thing obviously. I only use them once each, up and down.

As to the rest of the Thread, yes, the UD is very popular with those with status (OWE/OWS) who, through their BAEC status, can reserve seats at the time of booking. We have been doing that for a decade or more, and is one of many drivers to retain BA Gold/OWE.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The OP is AA Gold ( Oneworld Ruby ) so free seat selection will only be at T-7 days.

To the OP- I would probably book the seat now if you want an upper deck as the upper deck is popular and if you have OW Sapphire or Emerald you can book the seats well in advance ( which route are you on? )

Regards

TBS
This leg of the flight is LHR to JFK.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
This leg of the flight is LHR to JFK.
Hi,

Thanks. This route is likely to be very status heavy who will have their choice of seats free of charge so I probably would not wait too long to book.

Regards

TBS
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Thanks. This route is likely to be very status heavy who will have their choice of seats free of charge so I probably would not wait too long to book.

Regards

TBS
Okay, thank you.

I just checked and it only show 63 AB/JK and 64B on the upper deck available to purchase. The main deck is completely wide open to purchase with on 18B and 20E blocked. I understand that I should go ahead and purchase and the price listed now will not be going down. With that said, I'm hoping to purchase by mid-month as I have a couple of other actual tickets to purchase as well for an earlier flight. (on AA, not BA)

On a side note, I have my AA membership number in the system, but it reflects the below:
Alternatively, you can book your seat for free when online check-in opens, 24 hours before your flight departs.

It does not appear to pick up the status for me right now so I am definitely not comfortable waiting for the free seats to open.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I recommend 63a/b for a couple, if 63a is happy exiting between the seat and the cabin wall. Our perpetual favourites , with no climb-over involved.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
I recommend 63a/b for a couple, if 63a is happy exiting between the seat and the cabin wall. Our perpetual favourites , with no climb-over involved.
seconded! Perfect for a couple and are our go to seats when traveling on the UD.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
In the event I can't snag 63 A/B are 63J/K pretty equivalent for upper deck. And further if I don't succeed to get any upper, do you have any recommendations for the favorite lower deck pair with at least one window option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.