FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   When do Cathay flights get loaded onto BAEC? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1972583-when-do-cathay-flights-get-loaded-onto-baec.html)

cundall Jun 4, 2019 5:42 am

When do Cathay flights get loaded onto BAEC?

Afternoon all,

Sorry if this has been posted before, but i have had a quick search and i am guessing i am using the wrong key words, but i am currently having problems finding Cathay flights available on BA.com

I am trying to find flights from HKG to MNL and also HKG to OKA, but not having much success.

I have tried contacting BAEC over the phone, but each day i just get the automated message that they are busy and then call drops...

Does anyone know, how far in advance Cathay flights are loaded on BA.com to redeem miles on?

Many thanks in advance...

Sorry again if this has been asked and answered before!

caz312 Jun 4, 2019 6:00 am

when are you looking for?
I can see HKG-MNL showing availability up until 8th May 2020

etiene Jun 4, 2019 6:05 am

I was searching last autumn for flights around the RWC - CX seemed to be releasing on an ad hoc basis, unlike JAL for instance. That could have been due to the tournament though, and thus may not be representative.

I did later get pretty much perfect flights - after a change in circumstances on my part - but wasn't able to use CX in the first instance due to the manner in which they seemed to be releasing reward seats.

cundall Jun 4, 2019 6:17 am

I am searching for December which i know will be tricky, but i thought i should be able to get a single from HKG to MNL or CRK - over 7 daily flights, but cannot see a ticket available :/

etiene Jun 4, 2019 6:25 am

Ah - I think I am right in recalling that CX also release partner awards for a period and then take them down again. You may find that 7 months out is in this "blackout" period. They may reintroduce availbility closer to the time if they feel like it is the right decision revenue-wise.

They also like to use married sector availability - in my case I got NGO-HKG-AMS, but neither sector would show on BA individually.

SK AAR Jun 4, 2019 8:42 am

I have the same issue for an Avios award in Feb.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-feb-20-a.html

It is married segment issue and currently no availability on CX ex HKG to many regional destinations, including MNL. You need to wait until approx 6 weeks from departure date.

I bet you will be able to find award seats on CX íf you search for TPE-HKG-MNL :td:

Cris L Jun 5, 2019 1:18 am

I was searching for CX award flights to anywhere in Vietnam and couldn't find anything for a 2 month period.

I've ended up buying tickets on VN.

​​​​​I'm looking at having to do this every 3 months for 2020, and it's not proving easy.

thebigben Jun 5, 2019 1:23 am

It seems that prices for flights drop in the 2-6 months window, and most flights booked 6+ months in advance are sold at a premium. It may be a similar situation for CX redemptions.

SK AAR Jun 5, 2019 2:04 am

Originally Posted by thebigben (Post 31172091)
It seems that prices for flights drop in the 2-6 months window, and most flights booked 6+ months in advance are sold at a premium. It may be a similar situation for CX redemptions.

CX revenue flights? Or VN flights to Vietnam? But I agree, revenue CX regional flights are ridiculous expensive IMO, in particular ex HKG

Cymro Jun 6, 2019 6:47 am

I have never, over the last two years of looking regularly, seen HKG-CRK with avios availability. It's a weird route, only operated about 3 times a week, while Cebu Pacific is very cheap and very frequent.

Thankfully it's not something I have to bother with any more.

On the other hand, Emirates and Qatar both offer long-haul direct to CRK if that's of interest (and you want to avoid the traffic in Manila). There is also a direct airport-to-airport bus service.

PUCCI GALORE Jun 6, 2019 10:53 am

I, Pucci am flying Cathay next February, I am taking my consort. I confess that I feel as though I am cheating on my marriage. I imagine that I will be drummed out of the Brownies.

I found all my flights on BA.com. What did surprise me was the speed with which they posted onto my BA Flights.

Knickam Jun 6, 2019 2:00 pm

I have just booked award flights on Cathay Pacific for next February from London to Auckland as part of a multi airline award
There was quite a few flights to choose from.

Scandinavian traveler Jun 6, 2019 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Knickam (Post 31177289)
I have just booked award flights on Cathay Pacific for next February from London to Auckland as part of a multi airline award
There was quite a few flights to choose from.

It changes randomly. Were looking at Hong Kong to Japan in November. Availability in J on almost all flights I checked on almost any day. Suddenly all availability was gone despite seat maps still showing no taken seats. Still available as married segments though, but not direct.