Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Forum wisdom required - Australia to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Forum wisdom required!

All, I’m currently based in Brisbane, Australia trying to book flights back to the UK (London based airport) with my family in May 2020.

I would like to use my 270k Avios points to best affect.

From cursing the various forum articles, it seems my best bet is to book an economy, or economy plus ticket and upgrade to business. I’ve also read that it might be worth moving my points to Iberia Plus and booking through their site?

I’m also not adverse to adding a stop (i.e. a hub like Sydney), or booking separate legs to improve my family’s class of travel, or lower my cash/point spend.

All thoughts welcome J

Many thanks

J

Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum!!!!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

james nyman Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by james nyman
All, I’m currently based in Brisbane, Australia trying to book flights back to the UK (London based airport) with my family in May 2020.

I would like to use my 270k Avios points to best affect.

From cursing the various forum articles, it seems my best bet is to book an economy, or economy plus ticket and upgrade to business. I’ve also read that it might be worth moving my points to Iberia Plus and booking through their site?

I’m also not adverse to adding a stop (i.e. a hub like Sydney), or booking separate legs to improve my family’s class of travel, or lower my cash/point spend.
Threads in the BA forum for UK<--->Aust awards are not uncommon.

When looking what have you found?
How many people are you wanting award flights for?
From BNE BA/Oneworld flights are limited, More from SYD & MEL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Airport

https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=BNE&t...=0&c=y&s=2&p=0

Upgrades are hard to get. The more people on the PNR/ticket them the less chance.
BA fly SYD-SIN-LHR. You cannot use BA avios to upgrade QF QR CX flights
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
I would think your best chance at getting some upgraded travel with Avios would be to book a ticket to SIN or HKG with whoever, stopover there and then travel on a separate ticket with BA from there to LHR. Both SIN and HKG can offer good availability to upgrade into CW with BA.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
If the driver is effective use of points, I would use the list of oneworld partners. Your route might be popular on BA but easier on malaysian.
teledude likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
How many are in your party?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by james nyman
I’ve also read that it might be worth moving my points to Iberia Plus and booking through their site?
Unless you know what you are doing you very much do NOT want to book via Iberia Plus.

You might save some Avios on a multi-carrier reward, but you will have nightmares dealing with an Iberia call centre and anything you book will be completely non-changeable / non-refundable.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Wow thanks all for such informative fast responses!

As requested a little more info:

Travelling late May 2020 (not much available yet)
Family of 4 (children 4, 1 at time of flight)

I considered/considering SYD based on volume of flights and can use a budget carrier for the short hop. I’ll look at HK as an option as I also have krisflyer points, which are a lot easier to spend!!!!!

Thanks again and keep the recommendations coming

Regards

James

Last edited by james nyman; Jun 5, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Unless you know what you are doing you very much do NOT want to book via Iberia Plus.
Indeed, and UuA can't be done with IB Plus, except for certain scenarios flying IB, but that too requires anything but the cheapest tickets.

That having said, my main concern doing a UuA with BAEC on BA metal would be the availability of enough CW seats into LHR, travelling with such a large party and most likely they need three seats (the 4th one is AFAICS a lap infant and needs a cot?). Depending on how much Avios they have available, doing MH could be an option, but of course it would require quite an Avios stash.
HMPS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.