Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Basic economy baggage allowance - issue with BA app?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold

Tomorrow I fly my first ever BA basic economy flight from BOS to LHR. I am a BA Silver and I booked the flight under an AA flight number.

It is my understanding that what drives baggage allowance is the marketing carrier (in my case AA) and not the operating one, yet when I check in on the BA app it still asks me to pay 55 USD for a bag which I should technically get free with my BA status.

​​​Is this an issue with the app? Should I check in with AA instead?

Thanks

​​​
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:33 pm

Are you on BA 212, I'll be on that flight
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mwp1
Are you on BA 212, I'll be on that flight
Yeah. The 7.15 PM one. Sitting upper deck 71K
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Danusa86
It is my understanding that what drives baggage allowance is the marketing carrier (in my case AA) and not the operating one, yet when I check in on the BA app it still asks me to pay 55 USD for a bag which I should technically get free with my BA status.
​​​
The AA allowance is also zero bags. Elite members keep their allowance on AA operated flights.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
​​​
No, it's the other way around, it's the operating carrier that counts here, and it being BA means there is is no free check-in baggage on a Basic fare. I agree that logically it should be the marketing carrier's rules that apply, but for Basic fares the relevant guidelines - and your e-ticket - state the opposite.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Right, so the table that circulated on this forum a few months ago that stated "marketing carrier driven" is no longer valid?

I had missed that part of the story.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Right, so the table that circulated on this forum a few months ago that stated "marketing carrier driven" is no longer valid?

I had missed that part of the story.
Can you give the link? The tables that I've seen here was a oneworld table, and the BA trade version. Both of which stated that if you fly BA on a Hand Baggage Only fare you get hand baggage only, no matter who is the carrier. I can recall a case of someone flying out on an AA marketed fare on AA and then returning BA to LHR, and the agent just checked the bag in, rightly or wrongly.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:25 am

Yeah. The 7.15 PM one. Sitting upper deck 71K
on it also 53k in CW
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For reference I think the OP means this table https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30365110-post150.html

It does appear to show BA operated flights do not have checked bags regardless of which marketing carrier is booked.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Tha original table was driven by the marketing carrier. A few weeks/months later, the JBA changed the table to the one shared by KARFA, where it is in fact, driven by the operating carrier.

I'm afraid but with BA in Basic Economy, you have to pay for luggage.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Yes, I meant the original table.

​​​Oh well, all very confusing. Guess I will avoid flying BA in the future then. I just don't understand why OW airlines can't have the same rules. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:24 am
Original Poster

on it also 53k in CW
Cool. See you in the lounge maybe.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:30 am

Cool. See you in the lounge maybe.
cool

how will I know who you are ?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:11 am
Original Poster

cool

how will I know who you are ?
What about if I send you a private message when I arrive?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:26 am

What about if I send you a private message when I arrive?

ok 👍

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.