Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need to cancel within 24 hours but not taking phone calls

Old Jun 3, 19, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I need to cancel a booking I made online for my daughter a few hours ago which I can do within 24 hours BUT when I try to phone (which I have to do as I canít do it online) it says they have a lot of calls and to try again another time. I appreciate I could keep trying but what do I do if I canít get through as I will end up running out of time?
Old Jun 3, 19, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
you could try the twitter team. You can say in the tweet that you need to cancel within 24 hours - but don't add in any details about your booking - they should then ask you to DM the details to them - it should work.
Old Jun 3, 19, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks I don’t usually use Twitter but I do have an old account so I have sent a message and will see if I get a response.
Old Jun 3, 19, 2:19 pm

Programs: Lufthansa , British Airways, IHG, Hilton, Marriott
Pick the option to change your booking...
Old Jun 3, 19, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Never give up without sending an email. You will then, at least, have a time-stamped document. May still mean a messy fight, but your bank will likely back you up with that.
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You can do this very reliably via the website - just use the "change/cancel booking" or whatever it is. It'll either lead to a page where you can cancel online immediately, or you fill in a form and send it, and a day or two later you get the refund.
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Soupey202 View Post
... (which I have to do as I can’t do it online) ...
Following on from bisonrav's post, when you say you "can't do it online" do you mean that you have tried and the website won't do it, or you haven't tried because you think that the fee-free cancellation is only available by phone?

If it's the latter, then as bisonrav says try it online. The website functionality has been improved recently so that many cooling-off cancellations will go through for a full refund if you are within the first 24 hours. Only if you are not being offered a full refund will it be necessary to phone.

In any event, if you made the booking sometime during Monday afternoon London time, you will still have a lot of tomorrow in which to try.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Following on from bisonrav's post, when you say you "can't do it online" do you mean that you have tried and the website won't do it, or you haven't tried because you think that the fee-free cancellation is only available by phone?

If it's the latter, then as bisonrav says try it online. The website functionality has been improved recently so that many cooling-off cancellations will go through for a full refund if you are within the first 24 hours. Only if you are not being offered a full refund will it be necessary to phone.

In any event, if you made the booking sometime during Monday afternoon London time, you will still have a lot of tomorrow in which to try.
Wow, that sounds like a great improvement that I have not noticed on here or elsewhere.

Has there been an announcement or anything?
Old Jun 4, 19, 12:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Itís been working for a long time, perhaps even a year.
Old Jun 4, 19, 12:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I know I've mentioned this facility a few times in this forum before.

It seems to work ok for BA metal, I'm not sure it works with complex trips. But when it is working it clearly states the amount to be refunded before the confirm button and that equals the sum paid.
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:13 am

Online is the beat way to do it.

I had a TLV-LHR F itinerary canceled earlier this year in the 22 hour window, online it said only taxes will be refunded, but I automatically got the taxea AND the miles back, not sure what triggered it, but I'm a happy camper because it waa for 2 pax. I even got an extra 15K bonus, not sure if it has to do with this, but I do see an adjustment of 15K miles as well :-)
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone to answer some of the points made above, Twitter did get back to me after an hour or so and then phoned me and I cancelled. The email I had said that the booking could only be cancelled by phone which is why I hadn't tried to do it on the website - perhaps their email needs to be reworded. I know I would have had a couple of hours this morning but I had an urgent work meeting so would not have been able to phone and didn't want to miss the window as it was a non refundable ticket so I only had 24 hours. This will teach me to try and get ahead of things and book flights when Mr S is away on business!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: