Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UUA to First incurs extra "Tax"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
Did the first sector of the ticket originate in the US? If so you were fortunate.
No, the starting point was KBP. Sorry I was not clear in my initial response (which I edited). I meant to say that upgrading inbound flights from the USA on an ex-Europe itinerary should not affect the amount of 'taxes.'
golfmad likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think there seem to be several things going on, so if I can perhaps try and summarise:

• There has been a recent general increase in carrier surcharges for BA long haul flights.
  • Whenever you do an upgrade the TFC is recalculated so if you booked prior to the increase and upgrade after you will have to pay the additional TFC, so the carrier surcharge at the new increased level.
  • The difference in TFC from WTP to CW has increased, see Globaliser's post 41. Carrier surcharge for a LON-NYC rtn is now £200 in W and £400 in CW, so if you upgrade both legs of the return you pay the extra £200, previously the difference was less and you may have expected to pay around £100.
  • exUS bookings there is now a difference in carrier surcharge going from CW to F of USD200 per leg. If you book a JFK-LHR-JFK rtn and UuA you will now pay an extra USD200 for upgrading one flighht, and USD400 if upgrading both.
  • For bookings originating elsewhere the carrier surcharge in CW and F remains the same, so for LHR-JFK-LHR booking when upgrading from CW to F there should be no extra TFC to pay other than a minimal amount (<£20) due to currency fluctuations between the original booking and the upgrade date.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 5, 2019 at 6:43 am
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
No I don't think that's right at all. The extra fees only seems to apply for tickets originating in the US.
Maybe ive got that mixed up and it was US originating ticket. Dont get too many club to first Uua pretty rare so this was few weeks ago!
golfmad likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, MLife Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by KARFA
This is why I have stated it. If my assumption is wrong the OP can correct.
sorry been busy on stuff, but yes my original booking was MAN- LHR- BOS in W and BOS-LHR-MAN in J. I upgraded BOS-LHR only after booking for avios and got hit with the charge.
i appreciate the work and insights you guys are providing !
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:58 pm

It is quite possible that this is the result of originally booking a Dual Inventory Fare (DIF) for WTP. These are cheaper WTP fares because the carrier surcharge is set lower than normal,
Sorry but in the interests of accuracy that isnt how DIF ( dual inventory fares) work. A lower discounted fare is generated depending on certain availability in a lower cabin. So for example to get a DIF fare you would have T class available in WTP and say O class in WT hence the name: dual inventory fare. Ive personally never seen a DIF with lower YQ compared to a non DIF.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Anonba
Ive personally never seen a DIF with lower YQ compared to a non DIF.
Thanks for confirming that. I was beginning to doubt myself!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:24 am

Apologies for getting it wrong. I had looked at some before and thought that was the case but I appreciate I must have misunderstood.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by MANtraveller
I will add another data point/comment.

Upgraded a UK paid Club seat to First for my return flight from Boston in July - 20.000 Avios as expected and £124.30 'tax' - when I questioned this as I thought J and F YQ's were the same, I was told 'no, there is an increased tax fee and it actually changes daily'

I know that it is actually a fee not tax, but was surprised that it changes daily - I assume based on USD currency fluctuations.
Further to this same data point (flying MAN-LHR-BOS in W and upgraded BOS-LHR-MAN from J to F) the Avios for the upgrade were taken , I had a pre-auth on my Amex and that has now disappeared !
It either fixed itself or I am lucky ?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:52 am

Further to this same data point (flying MAN-LHR-BOS in W and upgraded BOS-LHR-MAN from J to F) the Avios for the upgrade were taken , I had a pre-auth on my Amex and that has now disappeared !
Do you know if it has been re-ticketed yet?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:49 am

Still not had confirmation mail, but (I know its not proof) MMB shows confirmed and seat chosen.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I had a pre-auth on my Amex and that has now disappeared ! It either fixed itself or I am lucky ?
It's either still on queue to be ticketed, or it's fallen between the cracks and won't be ticketed unless you call back.

If still no new etkt/email a few days before you travel then call back.

No charge, no ticket, no travel.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:25 am

I think there seem to be several things going on, so if I can perhaps try and summarise:

sorry been busy on stuff, but yes my original booking was MAN- LHR- BOS in W and BOS-LHR-MAN in J. I upgraded BOS-LHR only after booking for avios and got hit with the charge.
i appreciate the work and insights you guys are providing !
Sorry to drag this back up and for being a bit thick...

If one has booked a UK > USA > UK return flight and wishes only to upgrade the return USA > UK leg from CW to F using Avios, is the additional $200 levied, over and above any exchange rate fluctuations?

Thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
Sorry to drag this back up and for being a bit thick...

If one has booked a UK > USA > UK return flight and wishes only to upgrade the return USA > UK leg from CW to F using Avios, is the additional $200 levied, over and above any exchange rate fluctuations?

Thanks.
no. It is only applicable for bookings originating in the US
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:49 am

no. It is only applicable for bookings originating in the US
Thanks, KARFA. I shall get on the phone tomorrow; if BA tell me anything different, I will let you all know!
MANtraveller likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:17 am

Over the weekend my email landed and the Amex charge, so now ticketed and charged, let us know how you get on Haagen Daz. I am still not convinced that I had a fee to pay for this upgrade ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.